Luminae Menu cutbacks?

Cruising Princess

16 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Come on Rick you need some Kale or you don't get desert.   I think I recall a Kale soup one night on my last cruise and it was incredible.

If the Luminae ever has an entree that features Tilapia with Kale, I am done with Celebrity. 😁

Edited by terrydtx
  • Haha 4

On 1/21/2023 at 5:27 PM, hcat said:

does not look like pork..

It's not like there's going to be a big chunk of flesh there. Onlly the flat strip on the plate below the shrimpy stuff is probably the actual pig content. As usual, whether this would be any good would be as much what they do with it and put with it as what it is. But hey, for me if it's part of a pig I'll try it.

10 hours ago, George C said:

In the past I remember seeing branzino several times which is the only fish I would order didn’t see that much on last cruise.

Branzino = farmed fish, Good!

Tilapia = farmed fish, Bad!

At least according to most around here. 

22 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

I believe the difference is how and where the two are farm raised. 

What Is Branzino? (thespruceeats.com)

Is tilapia fish good for you? Safety, how it is raised, and benefits (medicalnewstoday.com)

Branzino is a better-looking fish too and very popular in restaurants in Italy. I do not recall seeing any Tilapia being served in Italy.

Branzino

Edited by terrydtx

I have no frame of reference since our trip that ended yesterday as our first time on the Beyond and only my second time on a Celebrity ship. I will say that eating at Luminae as a wonderful experience and if we loved something they gladly brought us more. I am unfortunately a very picky eater and they happily modified dishes for me or even made up new ones if I didn’t like what was on the menu. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiseRQA said:

Cost of branzino is most likely 3 or 4 times what tilapia is which is 5 dollars a pound in Dallas, my wife likes it , but not as much as branzino which is sea bass.

6 minutes ago, George C said:

Cost of branzino is most likely 3 or 4 times what tilapia is which is 5 dollars a pound in Dallas, my wife likes it , but not as much as branzino which is sea bass.

Here in San Antonio, Branzino, when available at HEB, is about double ($10-$12lb) the price of Tilapia. In Italy Branzino is all known as European or Mediterranean Sea Bass. Last year we had it many times in Italy and Greece. Also had it in Luminae on our cruise and it was delicious and well prepared.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Here in San Antonio, Branzino, when available at HEB, is about double ($10-$12lb) the price of Tilapia. In Italy Branzino is all known as European or Mediterranean Sea Bass. Last year we had it many times in Italy and Greece. Also had it in Luminae on our cruise and it was delicious and well prepared.

I like a nicely prepared Toothfish myself... especially when they call it Chilean Sea Bass. 😊

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RichYak said:

I like a nicely prepared Toothfish myself... especially when they call it Chilean Sea Bass. 😊

Funny how a name change can make a big difference in taste or acceptance. Escargo or Mahi Mahi anyone?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Who would ever eat a toothfish? We like Chilean Sea bass, and it does very well in our air fryer. Here it costs about $35lb in local stores.

"Chilean sea bass isn't a bass at all, it's a Patagonian toothfish".

1 minute ago, sptrout said:

I thought that I remembered that Chilean Sea Bass was being overfished and that it was no longer acceptable to fish for it. However, I still see it on menus, land or sea based resturants, so am I remembering wrong?

It is now farm raised in both Chile and even in New Zealand, so it is back on menus. Took 12 years to develop the farm raising techniques.

Farmed Chilean sea bass ready for primetime - Hatchery International

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2023 at 9:25 AM, terrydtx said:

I would like to see the Daniel Boulud dishes change after the same thing for 3 years. Tried the Moroccan chicken twice on two ships and it is not good at all.

I agree about that chicken.  I tried it once because nothing else appealed to me on the menu that night.  It didn’t make a favorable impression of him if that is his signature  dish.   

If you look on the Xs app you will now see that it is duck leg confit “ char sui”

Happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

9 minutes ago, miched said:

I agree about that chicken.  I tried it once because nothing else appealed to me on the menu that night.  It didn’t make a favorable impression of him if that is his signature  dish.   

If you look on the Xs app you will now see that it is duck leg confit “ char sui”

Happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

The app for our June Equinox still shows that awful Moroccan Chicken Tagine!!🤢

13 hours ago, George C said:

In the past I remember seeing branzino several times which is the only fish I would order didn’t see that much on last cruise.

On our last cruise we had Branzino, Sea Bass, Chilean Sea Bass and Loupe de mer.   I was curious as to me they all tasted and are prepared the same

So... I Googled -   Curious if you find Branzino tastes different

Is branzino the same as sea bass?

European seabass is sold under various names including Mediterranean seabass, branzino, and loup de mer. In the UK it is sold as European seabass whereas in US, it's most frequently sold as branzino (branzini, plural) and many restaurants serve them whole.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, George C said:

And of course "sea bass" is a bit of a made up term for a fish that used to be named toothfish. 

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Who would ever eat a toothfish? We like Chilean Sea bass, and it does very well in our air fryer. Here it costs about $35lb in local stores.

"Chilean sea bass isn't a bass at all, it's a Patagonian toothfish".

Now that's something I've never known before.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Now that's something I've never known before.

Patagonian toothfish brings up images of some pre-historic monster fish in my mind. 

Dunkleosteus Prehistoric Fish by Christian Darkin

Not this:

chilean sea bass - patagonian toothfish stock pictures, royalty-free photos & images

Edited by terrydtx

I did notice on @nz1 Luminae Food Picture thread they have a new Entree for Lunch -   I'm sure it isn't fleet wide.

For my main, I chose the kangaroo loin which, I was a little hesitant about as the one previous time I’ve had it, it’s been a bit dry. But, it was nicely done with braised red cabbage and potato mash, with small cocktail onions and carrots.

Looks incredible -  @nz1 is on a New Zealand Cruise

49C5392D-004A-4113-B270-B35968F5D386.thumb.jpeg.27fba9b8c7bc741413b3b32f9d2f2936.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1