Carnival Corporation Adding Starlink Internet to Ships

JT1962

9 hours ago, CruiseBride926 said:

We just cruised on Royal with starlink and it was awful. We had a conversation with a woman who worked in the art gallery and was fairly new onboard and she was saying it was the worst internet she’s ever had on any ship she’d worked on. Hopefully they work the kinks out soon! 

What ship?

This is awesome news, as I’m one of those that has been working from ships since the restart. For the naysayers, here is my result I just did two minutes ago (I’m on Oasis of the Seas currently):
515B908A-2816-4738-A342-5077CF2347C6.thumb.jpeg.93ac987cf00dbeccee85cf79c3d53798.jpeg

I was on Symphony last month as well with it and can honestly say Starlink is a game changer for the most part.

I will say the Celebrity approach is concerning and hopefully Carnival won’t go that path. Even with Starlink, Celebrity severely throttles the basic (included) Wi-Fi to being worthless to force you to upgrade, and it’s very expensive. 

I’m on Celebration in a few weeks so here’s to hoping (Carnival has always had bad wifi unless on the premium variety, and even then…)!

Edited by AllAboardatSea
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AllAboardatSea said:

This is awesome news, as I’m one of those that has been working from ships since the restart. For the naysayers, here is my result I just did two minutes ago (I’m on Oasis of the Seas currently):
515B908A-2816-4738-A342-5077CF2347C6.thumb.jpeg.93ac987cf00dbeccee85cf79c3d53798.jpeg

I was on Symphony last month as well with it and can honestly say Starlink is a game changer for the most part.

I will say the Celebrity approach is concerning and hopefully Carnival won’t go that path. Even with Starlink, Celebrity severely throttles the basic (included) Wi-Fi to being worthless to force you to upgrade, and it’s very expensive. 

I’m on Celebration in a few weeks so here’s to hoping (Carnival has always had bad wifi unless on the premium variety, and even then…)!

Thank you for this information! I have done three weeks on the Celebration (2 on the transatlantic and one in the Caribbean) and on all 3 the internet was great. I was able to conduct work video meetings without issue.

I just read a couple of articles about the switch which stated that Starlink is much less expensive than providers currently used by cruise lines.  I'm certain that Carnival will be passing the cost savings along to us.  🤣

Edited by groundloop
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, AllAboardatSea said:

Is the 9.5 Mbps supposed to be an endorsement for Starlink?

Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/18/2023 at 8:30 PM, Itried4498 said:

While I'm not saying this applies to you... I'd bet that the number of people "working" remotely while taking a cruise... has a lot to do with why employers are eager to get them back into the office.

My entire company works remotely and has since the year 2000. We cover global aerospace and defense competitive intelligence. I've worked on cruises, planes, trains and more. Love my company.

• Like 5

On 1/19/2023 at 5:55 AM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Increasing access to the cyber world - but still providing pathetic TV channels. Heck Carnival, why not start providing "premium" TV options, for a fee !  😉

Tom

This exist on Celebration. You can purchase premium directly from the TV and see you folio, pixel photos and all that jazz. 

6 hours ago, dgene84 said:

This exist on Celebration. You can purchase premium directly from the TV and see you folio, pixel photos and all that jazz. 

My vision of "premium" options on a cruise ship would be live network and cable programming (though I don't want/need 100+ channels), and if they could throw in a DVR, all the better - LOL

Tom

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

My vision of "premium" options on a cruise ship would be live network and cable programming (though I don't want/need 100+ channels), and if they could throw in a DVR, all the better - LOL

Tom

Ahhh, got it. Like Sunday Ticket. 

On 1/18/2023 at 11:19 PM, CruiseBro16 said:

WFC, here we come!

WFC is the key to the survival of the industry and I firmly believe that.

On 1/20/2023 at 10:36 AM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Is the 9.5 Mbps supposed to be an endorsement for Starlink?

Tom

You can get a lot done with a solid ~10Mbps connection. You won't get much better than that at most land-based resorts - they throttle individuals so nobody can hog the whole pipe.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 8:45 AM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

Linear television is dead/dying. Carnival would be foolish to invest a dime in it.

10 minutes ago, camarowesley said:

I have Starlink at home & wonder if it's possible to log in using my username and password?

No that is not possible, at least not right now (and probably won't ever be possible). The cruise line wants to sell you a wifi plan so they can get a cut.

But dramatically cutting the cost of wifi, if not making it free, is the key to the survival of cruise lines in the coming decades I think. So I'd like to see it.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

Linear television is dead/dying. Carnival would be foolish to invest a dime in it.

Oh - I understand the future, I cut the (Cable TV) cord a few years ago. Perhaps I just need to figure out a way to use my platform of choice (YouTube.tv) onboard. I'll see if setting my location in Orlando is "close enough" to my home area so that I don't get blocked out. When I tried (without VPN) last cruise - it pegged me right off the bat.

Tom

2 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

..... Perhaps I just need to figure out a way to use my platform of choice (YouTube.tv) onboard. I'll see if setting my location in Orlando is "close enough" to my home area so that I don't get blocked out. When I tried (without VPN) last cruise - it pegged me right off the bat.

That's strange.... on the very rare occasion when my on-board internet has been fast enough, I've been able to use my YouTubeTV account, it just asks me to verify that I'm travelling.

1 minute ago, groundloop said:

That's strange.... on the very rare occasion when my on-board internet has been fast enough, I've been able to use my YouTubeTV account, it just asks me to verify that I'm travelling.

I think it pegged me as out of the country. Yep, when traveling within the US, it's generally only an issue with some broadcast stations (national news @6:30 for example won't allow me to play back recordings).

Tom