1st cruise-so many questions

mom2mms

My mom is turning 70 next year (Dec. "24) and has always wanted to take a cruise.  I am going to treat her, my aunt, myself, and my son to a cruise on Harmony of the Seas.   My son and I live in Houston.  Both my Aunt and my mom would be flying in.  Now to all the questions:

1. Does Royal Caribbean offer a shuttle from either Houston airport to Galveston?

2.  Would it be better to do 1 room or 2 rooms?  My mom tends to overpack so I don't want to trip over luggage all the time.

3.  If I go with 2 rooms, would the internet package and photo package work for just my room or two rooms?

4.  The cruise would be over Christmas so are there extra activities due to the holidays?

5.  My mom drinks a ton of bottled water (she is a diabetic), can she bring several cases of water or do I need to buy A refreshment package for her?

6.  What are your must haves to pack for a toddler (he will be three)?

7. What are your must haves for adult cruisers? 

8.  Do you have any excursion recommendations that the 4 of us can do?

9.  Any hotel recommendations in Galveston?

10. Are the massages worth it?

• Like 2

Get a $25 massage in costa maya

Rcl has a shuttle the day of. I always fly in thru day before. 

There are xmas things all dec. Ship is decorated.  Carols with santa, lol. Quite a few xmas activities. 

I would do 2 adjoining cabins. 

Quality inn or a hotel with free cruise parking. Inn at waterfront has a parking pkg. I think hilton does. Many hotels. Depends what price range 

• Like 1

I don't have answers to all your questions, but as far as #2 goes, absolutely, 100% get 2 rooms.

For one, having 3 adults in a room is too many. That's at least 3 full sized suitcases, 3 adults who need closets and drawers to store their things. And when all 3 are women, you'll most likely also need extra counter and shelf space in the bathroom. 

For two, a 3 year old is going to need a lot of quiet time, which isn't fair to the 2 adults who the 3 year old doesn't belong to. Way too much tiptoeing around during naps and bedtime for your sister and mom to be able to enjoy their vacation. 

If you're paying for everyone, they can't really complain about the accommodations, but if it were me, and someone invited me on a cruise, with the caveat being that I had to share a room with 2 other adults and a 3 year old, I'd pass. 

• Like 3

Definitely 2 room which equals 2 bathrooms.  You can generally buy a 6 or 12 pack of water, also bring or get a refillable cup and us the ice and water stations to fill up.  You would only need one photo plan and wifi is per person or device I believe.  Massages are nice but can be expensive. 

• Like 1

Pack light

Two staterooms

If possible (and assuming you celebrate Christmas), could Santa have your son's gifts waiting back home, as oppose to carrying them with you on the ship?

Is traveling over the Christmas holiday important?  Sometimes the weeks prior to Christmas might have better deals, and may be slightly less crowded.

It is so nice that you want to treat your Mom for her 7oth B'day!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mom2mms said:

My mom is turning 70 next year (Dec. "24) and has always wanted to take a cruise.  I am going to treat her, my aunt, myself, and my son to a cruise on Harmony of the Seas.   My son and I live in Houston.  Both my Aunt and my mom would be flying in.  Now to all the questions:

1. Does Royal Caribbean offer a shuttle from either Houston airport to Galveston?

2.  Would it be better to do 1 room or 2 rooms?  My mom tends to overpack so I don't want to trip over luggage all the time.

3.  If I go with 2 rooms, would the internet package and photo package work for just my room or two rooms?

4.  The cruise would be over Christmas so are there extra activities due to the holidays?

5.  My mom drinks a ton of bottled water (she is a diabetic), can she bring several cases of water or do I need to buy A refreshment package for her?

6.  What are your must haves to pack for a toddler (he will be three)?

7. What are your must haves for adult cruisers? 

8.  Do you have any excursion recommendations that the 4 of us can do?

9.  Any hotel recommendations in Galveston?

10. Are the massages worth it?

1. Yes they offer a shuttle but there also many other good options.  Check the Galveston board.  WE always use Uber and come in the day before. I can't stress the "come in the night before" enough.  Flights for the out of town folks around Christmas can be a mess.  Don't take a chance having them flying in the day of the cruise.

2. Two rooms are going to be better than one.  Often there is little difference in price but two bathrooms and the space are golden.  You can easily fit 4 suitcases under each bed so no worries about the space for an overpacker.  

3. Internet package can be shared amongst all your guests it doesn't matter which room you are in.  If you buy a 1 device package only one device can be hooked up at a time. 2 device means 2 devices simultaneously.  3... etc.  if you exceed the number it will be asked to boot someone off.

4. I've not cruised over Christmas but in December. There are decorations and maybe some caroling. I'm sure others can give you more on that one.

5. You can bring 12 bottles per cabin.  If she drinks that much the refreshment package might be worth a look for your mom.  It is usually $30 a day but can often be gotten on sale for $23.  If she likes specialty coffee like latte's then it might pay.  They usually offer a couple of sugar free flavors.  There are other offerings included in package but if she is diabetic I'm not sure that would used.

6. No clue

7.  A non grounded multi adapter for charging devices is my must have.

8.  So many options it is hard to suggest anything.

9. We typically stay just north of Galveston in Texas city in hotel just off of Interstate 45.  Much cheaper than Galveston and only 25 minute Uber to the port in the morning.  There are several good hotels that match that.  

10. Massages onboard are good but they are pricier than what you find on land.  They are very enjoyable and my wife typically gets one on embarkation afternoon.  It's kind of a ritual for us.  That being said, there are very inexpensive ones available in the port area in Costa Maya.  If you are looking to economize I'd wait until Costa Maya.

Enjoy your cruise. 🙂 

Edited by Tree_skier

11 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

You can easily fit 4 suitcases under each bed so no worries about the space for an overpacker.  

We didn't find this to be true on Symphony (regular balcony room). We had to leave both of our large suitcases out in the open because they were too tall to fit under the bed. 

• Like 1

Two attached cabins best.  You get two bathrooms and privacy.  Lots of storage for each.  Buy the refreshment package for her.  Surely you don't want to carry water on your vacation.  Plenty of activities going on the ship all year round including holiday periods.  I would uber to the port.   We fly in the day before and book a chain hotel.  All ok.  We  send out  wash on a 7 night cruise.  Get internet packages for whoever uses it the most- you can share.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mom2mms said:

You don’t have to buy the Refreshment Package for her. You can order bottled water that is delivered to the room. Being a diabetic, she might not benefit much from a Refreshment Package. Current pricing on my cruises are $11.99 for a 12 pack and $16.99 for a 24 pack. Well worth the upcharge IMO for not having to lug it onboard myself.   Water is also readily available all over the ship. You can ask for a glass of water at any bar and grab and go eateries usually have self serve water dispensers. 

• Like 2

I've never sailed from Houston, but I am quite sure RC offers transfers from all airports.  Having said that, I would never suggest flying in "day of" ... you should absolutely arrive a day ahead of time.  In addition to the concerns about missing your sailing, consider that it'll be so much nicer for everyone to arrive a day ahead of time and have an evening in a hotel room to visit, prepare for boarding.  No traveling on "day of" means you can sleep in a bit, enjoy a nice breakfast, then board refreshed.  

I'm jumping on the bandwagon here:  Two connecting rooms will work perfectly for your group.  The two older ladies in one room, you and your son in the other.  If your budget is small, you can go with two adjoining interior rooms, or -- if cost is not so important -- two balcony rooms.  Either way, two connecting rooms will give you two bathrooms, ample storage, and a bit more privacy.  You should request that the beds be separated into two twin beds.  

If the budget says you must stay in one room, it's absolutely do-able ... just not as comfortable.  If you must go this direction, look at the deck plans and choose a room near a public ladies' room ... this will ease the bathroom issue a bit.  A room near the gym would also be good, as it would allow some of you to use the gym showers.  

Realistically, the internet package works for one (or more, if you pay for more) electronic item at a time.  If you were to pass that item between you, it would still work.  Photo package would be much the same.  If you're together and are in the pictures together, you would have access to them -- who pays, who keeps the pictures is up to you.  Having said that, I wouldn't recommend buying either of these packages. 

We sailed in early December 2022, and the decorations were lovely.  On the first night of the cruise they had a "tree lighting" in the promenade, followed by Christmas carols.  The tree provides a great opportunity for family pictures.  I have always enjoyed MUTS (movies under the stars), but on our December cruise they played a lot of Christmas films that I've seen a hundred times (the Grinch, Elf) ... these might appeal to your 3-year old, but I wish I'd been able to see something new.  

If you intend to sail over Christmas, you'd better make your reservations ... yesterday.  Holiday sailings, even at their inflated prices, go fast.  Connecting rooms aren't unlimited, so that's another reason to move fast.  We sailed over Thanksgiving once, which was a mistake, and their turkey dinner was quite good.  

You don't have to bring water ... the ship's tap water is good /is available in the Windjammer Buffet and Cafe Promenade.  I'd bring a wide-mouth refillable drink bottle and pour cups of ice water into it.  If you insist upon bottled water, you are allowed to bring on 12 bottles, or you can order them /have them delivered to your stateroom for a reasonable cost.  Your mom will also find no end of diet sodas and coffees, all of which are good choices for diabetics.  

I assume your three-year old is in a bed?  If you have the beds split into twins in an inside room, one side of each bed will be against the wall.  When my girls were that age, I'd bring along a pool noodle (or roll up a bunch of towels) and put them UNDER the fitted sheet ... this would create a "bump" and keep them from rolling out.  

Three is good age because he will be allowed to go to the kids' club (no cost) ... he will love it.  As soon as you board the ship, you should go straight to the kids' club and register him, then you can drop him off when you please ... you can check the Daily Compass for kids' club activities.  Know that holiday cruises often sail "above capacity", meaning they have a larger than average number of 3rd and 4th passengers ... this means the kids' club will be more crowded than usual.  

I'd pack loads of clothing for a toddler, as he will make some messes and you won't have a washing machine.  My daughter only allows her 1-year old son to wear swim trunks in red, orange or yellow, as they don't "blend in" with the water like a blue suit would do /makes him more visible, especially in a crowd.  I'd pack a few sit-down-and-be-quiet toys (especially some things to occupy him while waiting for your meals), but he will have the playground and the kids' club and plenty to keep him entertained.  

Adults don't need to bring much beyond their clothes.  I like to have an insulated cup to keep my drinks cool, and I like a couple magnetic hooks to keep my hat and my paperwork up /off the table.  Definitely bring your own shampoo /conditioner, as the all-in-one provided in the shower isn't good.  Definitely bring any OTC meds you might need, as they will cost a fortune onboard.  

Excursions?  Can't recommend without knowing where you're stopping /the older lady's comfort level /your interests.  

You'll find plenty of opportunity for massages on the beaches, etc. that will be significantly cheaper than onboard.  It's no exaggeration to say that all three of you could have a massage off the ship for what you'd pay for a single massage onboard.  

I would get a suite if you can afford it.  If not, definitely get two adjoining rooms.

I would not buy any of the spa items.  Too expensive.

I don't buy any of the other onboard items.  I do buy shore excursions through RCI.  

Yes, you can bring water onboard.  

There is plenty to do for all ages.  They have activities for the toddler too.  You can leave and go have some free time.

Have fun!

Edited by moposh

18 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I assume your three-year old is in a bed?  If you have the beds split into twins in an inside room, one side of each bed will be against the wall.  When my girls were that age, I'd bring along a pool noodle (or roll up a bunch of towels) and put them UNDER the fitted sheet ... this would create a "bump" and keep them from rolling out.  

Three is good age because he will be allowed to go to the kids' club (no cost) ... he will love it.  As soon as you board the ship, you should go straight to the kids' club and register him, then you can drop him off when you please ... you can check the Daily Compass for kids' club activities.  Know that holiday cruises often sail "above capacity", meaning they have a larger than average number of 3rd and 4th passengers ... this means the kids' club will be more crowded than usual.  

I'd pack loads of clothing for a toddler, as he will make some messes and you won't have a washing machine.  My daughter only allows her 1-year old son to wear swim trunks in red, orange or yellow, as they don't "blend in" with the water like a blue suit would do /makes him more visible, especially in a crowd.  I'd pack a few sit-down-and-be-quiet toys (especially some things to occupy him while waiting for your meals), but he will have the playground and the kids' club and plenty to keep him entertained.  

All great suggestions for traveling with preschoolers!

The swimsuit color suggestion was really spot-on.  I don't have any little ones in my life, but I learned something from your post.

17 minutes ago, moposh said:

I would get a suite if you can afford it.  If not, definitely get two adjoining rooms.

I don't buy any of the other onboard items.  I do buy shore excursions through RCI.  

There is plenty to do for all ages.  They have activities for the toddler too.  You can leave and go have some free time.

Have fun!

Personally, I'd rather have two separate rooms than a suite ... unless you can go for a separate-bedroom suite, which is big money, a suite is just a slightly larger room.  You'll have more choices /more space /that second bathroom with connecting rooms. 

Yes, like you, I buy nothing onboard -- except drinks.  

15 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

All great suggestions for traveling with preschoolers!

The swimsuit color suggestion was really spot-on.  I don't have any little ones in my life, but I learned something from your post.

The swimsuit thing was from my daughter /mother of my 1-year old grandson, but it's brilliant.  He's much too precious to risk in any way.  

Here's another suggestion for toddlers:  When my girls were small, I used to make homemade coloring books (not that I have one ounce of artistic ability) for them "to prepare them" for upcoming events.  We'd color them together and talk about what would happen /what I expected of them.  For example, if we were going to Disney, I would make a page about packing a suitcase, about bringing toys for the long-long drive, about waiting our turn to ride, about ordering food in restaurants.  I'd include potential rewards -- like popcorn during a parade or getting their faces painted.  They never failed to behave better /have more fun when I adequately prepared them /let them know how I expected them to behave.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

You don't have to bring water ... the ship's tap water is good /is available in the Windjammer Buffet and Cafe Promenade.  I'd bring a wide-mouth refillable drink bottle and pour cups of ice water into it.  If you insist upon bottled water, you are allowed to bring on 12 bottles, or you can order them /have them delivered to your stateroom for a reasonable cost.

6 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Personally, I'd rather have two separate rooms than a suite. 

Mum2Mercury gives very good advice with these points.

I didn't see this must-have yet:  for a first cruise I'd definitely suggest a travel agent.  Someone who books a ton of Royal Caribbean cruise and can advise you on best cabins and watch for fare adjustments for you, as well as help with any notes about special needs for your mom or toddler.  

These boards are great and there is also a wonderful blog for RC you can find (not sure I'm allowed to name it here?) that has tons of explainers and tips as well as message boards, and a podcast if that's your thing.

I hope you have a great cruise!

Agree about the two staterooms.  The Harmony is a great ship and you will have so much fun.  Make an y show reservations before you board the ship.  I think they are available about 4 weeks out on Osis class ships.   In Cozumel, there are beach clubs that offer day passes such as Mr Sanchos and Nachi.  If you want to book through the Royal Caribean, we really enjoyed Chakanaab in Cozumel.  

Found this for transportation options:

https://www.cruzely.com/how-to-get-from-the-houston-airport-to-the-galveston-cruise-port/

Definitely two rooms, either adjoining or across the hall with one inside room and one ocean view room, maybe with balcony.

The kids' programs on the ship are great but register your child on the day you board to get preferred days and times.

As others have said, if you can cruise a couple of weeks before Christmas, it may be a bit cheaper and the ship will still have beautiful decorations, which they usually start putting up the day after Thanksgiving.

Edited by SilkySal
add

6 hours ago, moposh said:

Have fun!

Unless you can do a Royal suite- the other suites do not offer another bath or 1/2 bath.  The sky suites too small for more then two or three with a child.

• Like 1