Agree or Disagree?

dhdoug

Currently on a cruise with no package.  Got wifi for half price.  OBC's are covering the tips.  A couple of drinks in the Elite lounge in the evening and I'm good.  The plus package is pretty much a waste for me, especially with She Who Must Be Obeyed who doesn't drink at all.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

You must be on board a Princess ship!!! 😄

You'd think so, wouldn't you? Instead, we're at home. The service provider "upgraded" the service in our neighborhood yesterday. I'm not currently seeing any benefit in that. 😂

• Haha 2

Neither of us drink alcohol and the internet on the Alaska cruise was beyond dismal.  We had the Plus package but have opted for standard for our upcoming Norway/Iceland and Mediterranean cruises.  We have prepaid our gratuities and have purchased the soda packages and 1 coffee package so that I can have unlimited hot chocolate and my husband will use the 15 specialty coffees or, IF THEY LET US, have a brewed coffee in place of the "specialty".  The only thing I will miss is the milkshakes at Coffee & Cones so I'm hoping I'll be able to purchase that individually.  It was nice to have the Plus and not even THINK about anything but, with no alcohol, crappy internet, it just doesn't make sense for us.

Edited by Senga
additional information

3 hours ago, dhdoug said:

Looking at new Princess packages and what’s included, fitness class, childish looking specialty desserts I am going to be inclined as a long time Princess supporter to just go with the standard package and pay as you go which seems like the best value without the needless and unused add ones. My guess is that alcohol consumption along with Princess package sales will decrease.

What do you think?

Many people here love the volcano from the children's menu.

"Childish looking specialty desserts" sound perfect.

Why should princess spend any more money than they need to?

• Like 1

inflation - noun

in·fla·tion in-ˈflā-shən 

'A continuing rise in the general price level usually attributed to an increase in the volume of money and credit relative to available goods and services.'

Princess (akin to almost all businesses that provide goods & services) is in a postion of needing to raise the prices for its offerings due to inflation.

Rather than to simply increase prices alone, they have also decided to add a few more nominal items to their all-inclusive packages; to seemingly soften the blow of needing to pass their own increased cost(s) onto their customers.

For those that grumble about rising prices -- SEE: The above word in bold, and its definition.

• Like 3

I’ve sailed waaaaaaay too much since the restart and I have now also sailed without any package, with the plus package and with the premier package. The plus package would be worth it to me IF there was any decent non Chardonnay white wine to choose from on board.

Since last June the quality, selection and variety of non Chardonnay white wines has deteriorated to the point where, imo, nice wines simply don’t exist on board. I go to the bars and ask them to please show me all the non Chardonnay white wines they sell by the glass regardless of price point. Once or twice I’ve found an odd ball end of bin last bottle on board of something nice.  The Cattier Champagne on the Royal  at the beginning of this month was nice but I got tired of drinking it after day 7. And at $18 +18% it’s pricey without the premier (which I had). 

I will just bring my own wines on board.  So starting with my Jan 29 sailing I have no package.  I have T-Mobile which works world wide while in port so I don’t need internet.  I pre-ordered a couple of cases of water for my stateroom and bought a coffee card. I have my (elite) mini bar for a couple of beers and cocktails. 

That said if you drink Chardonnay, Prosecco, red wine or cocktails the plus or premier package probably works great for you. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skai said:

inflation - noun

in·fla·tion in-ˈflā-shən 

'A continuing rise in the general price level usually attributed to an increase in the volume of money and credit relative to available goods and services.'

Princess (akin to almost all businesses that provide goods & services) is in a postion of needing to raise the prices for its offerings due to inflation.

Rather than to simply increase prices alone, they have also decided to add a few more nominal items to their all-inclusive packages; to seemingly soften the blow of needing to pass their own increased cost(s) onto their customers.

For those that grumble about rising prices -- SEE: The above word in bold, and its definition.

To add to your inflation post, allow me to mention the basic law of the marketplace from Economics 101 - "charge what the traffic will bear".

If people line up to pay over inflated prices, there is no incentive to lower prices.  On the other hand, if people refuse to pay over inflated prices, the price will come down.

It's a free market economy.  

The packages would be worth it (maybe) if only one person in a cabin could purchase it. My wife doesn't drink; I drink very little.  It's cheaper for us to prepay tips (we did it before the price increase) and prepaid the soda package (again, before the price increase).  I'm the only one with Wi-Fi and am getting it at half price due to me being platinum level. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

To add to your inflation post, allow me to mention the basic law of the marketplace from Economics 101 - "charge what the traffic will bear".

If people line up to pay over inflated prices, there is no incentive to lower prices.  On the other hand, if people refuse to pay over inflated prices, the price will come down.

It's a free market economy.  

I mostly concur.

Based upon the economic principles of 'supply & demand', the term 'over-inflated'(as it relates to prices) is subjective.

When I was a kid, a candy bar cost .25.  When my parents were kids, the same candy bar cost .05.

Do I feel that $1.25 is an over-inflated price to currently pay for a candy bar?

Perhaps; considering that I reminisce about the days that I could buy one for only a quarter.

So, I now have a choice.  Fork over $1.25, or go w/out a candy bar.

Well, my waistband might prefer the latter option.

Did I find that $20 pp for the Crown Grill($15 pp for Sabatinis) were fairly nominal cover-charges; worthwhile to spend for an elevated dining experience?  Yes.

Do I grumble that the prices are now increasing(over a timespan of only 10 or so years) to $39 pp and $35 pp for the same?  Sure.  Yet, once again, I am presented with a choice -- Shell out for the increased up-charge, or go w/out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

I'm waiting to see what is actually going to be on the "new" dessert menu before saying nay or yay based on the posted promotional dessert pictures.  We don't have the new Plus package until our Grand Princess cruises this fall 

Yes the volcano/banana split makes a nice dessert.

5 minutes ago, Skai said:

I mostly concur.

Based upon the economic principles of 'supply & demand', the term 'over-inflated'(as it relates to prices) is subjective.

When I was a kid, a candy bar cost .25.  When my parents were kids, the same candy bar cost .05.

Do I feel that $1.25 is an over-inflated price to currently pay for a candy bar?

Perhaps; considering that I reminisce about the days that I could buy one for only a quarter.

So, I now have a choice.  Fork over $1.25, or go w/out a candy bar.

Well, my waistband might prefer the latter option.

Did I find that $20 pp for the Crown Grill($15 pp for Sabatinis) were fairly nominal cover-charges; worthwhile to spend for an elevated dining experience?  Yes.

Do I grumble that the prices are now increasing(over a timespan of only 10 or so years) to $39 pp and $35 pp for the same?  Sure.  Yet, once again, I am presented with a choice -- Shell out for the increased up-charge, or go w/out.

And that, skai, sums up my approach to inflation in a free market economy.  As the consumer I can make a choice if I am willing to pay the asking price for goods and services.  At this point in my life, I find very little that is a must-have.

Also, at this point in my life, She Who Must Be Obeyed are buying more experiences than things.

BTW, we have never have been very impressed with the specialty dining on any line.  That's just us.  We can find something else to do with that upcharge.

Fortunately, there are choices for all of us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SargassoPirate said:

And that, skai, sums up my approach to inflation in a free market economy.  As the consumer I can make a choice if I am willing to pay the asking price for goods and services.  At this point in my life, I find very little that is a must-have.

Also, at this point in my life, She Who Must Be Obeyed are buying more experiences than things.

BTW, we have never have been very impressed with the specialty dining on any line.  That's just us.  We can find something else to do with that upcharge.

Fortunately, there are choices for all of us.

I adopted a similar line of thinking as SWMBO some time ago.  In that, I too place a higher value on 'experiences' than 'things'.

It's partly why I live fairly frugal in my day-to-day life -- I.E. I still drive a decades-old reliable truck vs. being able to afford a bright shiny new one.  Yet, when it comes to satisfying personal passions, such as travel, I tend to opt to spend more freely in the hopes of maximizing experience(s).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

Why should princess spend any more money than they need to?

23 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

I'm waiting to see what is actually going to be on the "new" dessert menu before saying nay or yay based on the posted promotional dessert pictures.  We don't have the new Plus package until our Grand Princess cruises this fall 

Yes the volcano/banana split makes a nice dessert.

The volcano's are gone. 

15 minutes ago, Skai said:

I adopted a similar line of thinking as SWMBO some time ago.  In that, I too place a higher value on 'experiences' than 'things'.

It's partly why I live fairly frugal in my day-to-day life -- I.E. I still drive a decades-old reliable truck vs. being able to afford a bright shiny new one.  Yet, when it comes to satisfying personal passions, such as travel, I tend to opt to spend more freely in the hopes of maximizing experience(s).

At some point in my life, I realized that my possessions owned me.  The less I own, the happier I seem to be.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I’ve sailed waaaaaaay too much since the restart and I have now also sailed without any package, with the plus package and with the premier package. The plus package would be worth it to me IF there was any decent non Chardonnay white wine to choose from on board.

Since last June the quality, selection and variety of non Chardonnay white wines has deteriorated to the point where, imo, nice wines simply don’t exist on board. I go to the bars and ask them to please show me all the non Chardonnay white wines they sell by the glass regardless of price point. Once or twice I’ve found an odd ball end of bin last bottle on board of something nice.  The Cattier Champagne on the Royal  at the beginning of this month was nice but I got tired of drinking it after day 7. And at $18 +18% it’s pricey without the premier (which I had). 

I will just bring my own wines on board.  So starting with my Jan 29 sailing I have no package.  I have T-Mobile which works world wide while in port so I don’t need internet.  I pre-ordered a couple of cases of water for my stateroom and bought a coffee card. I have my (elite) mini bar for a couple of beers and cocktails. 

That said if you drink Chardonnay, Prosecco, red wine or cocktails the plus or premier package probably works great for you. 

I feel like I spotted a grüner veltliner on a Princess bar menu, but it wasn’t Austrian.  Have you tried it?  And disliked it?  I will be disappointed if I cannot find a wine to enjoy with my seafood dinners in the MDR. 

We enjoy the options that the packages present. We like our wines, and when we are "on holiday" we like to start the day with a "spirited" coffee, mayhaps a mimosa with breakfast, etc. Without going too far, suffice it to say, we find it to be worthwhile😁. The specialty dinners will be great on the upcoming Australian B2B, and photos are always a hoot (we aren't known for sticking to stock poses, we go WAY off script😂). And who doesn't like a chance to win five large or a free cruise?!?! What fun!😄

And fun is what this countess does!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skai said:

For those that grumble about rising prices 

Under your scenario/justification inflation in the last 18 months must be 50%  -- $40.00 X 1.50 = $60.00   ---  Nice post and definition, but try again ....  

I doubt we would be able to afford cruises without the Plus package. With drinks at $8 +each and we each have 6-10 drinks a day the package is perfect for us. We have cruised for over 30 years and don’t need photos etc. As long as gratuities and WiFi are included with the beverages it is a no brainer for us

• Like 6

With the double price of the coffee and soda package, used to be $23, but now it's $48, THAT and only that makes our decision about the plus package a no-brainer.  

Neither hubs or I will do without our multiple trips to the coffee bar.  In the past we'd get the coffee cards, and hubs would get the soda package; Then I'd miss out on having the juices.  So I'd get the soda package too.  But heck, we're on a cruise and I'll have 10 butter pecan latte's per day if I want. And the coffee card doesn't allow me that amount.   

Grats are now $16 per person.  $48 + $16 is $64.  So even if the internet sucks, it doesn't play into the pricing.  But I want the internet. Then again, I want the internet to work. 

Then there's the added booze drinks, bottled water, juice and the ability to grab whatever we want, whenever we want.  OR have it delivered to our room, the room service was the absolute deal breaker.  3 am butter pecans?  Yes!  Thank you, bring 2 would you?

So for us, the plus package makes sense.  

Now on to our plan.  We get lots of onboard, I book to get onboard.  So for our upcoming 10 day we have $700+ onboard.  We could buy the plus package the first day, which is now allowed and pay $500 and use up every penny of the onboard without the stress of trying to spend it all on useless crap.  So in my mind, I'm paying $25 per person per day for the package.  Going forward this is how we'll get that plus package, with as little out of pocket as possible.  

It's a game you know, get the best price on the cruise, get as much on-board as possible and have the best time.  I like this plan!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, srpilo said:

Under your scenario/justification inflation in the last 18 months must be 50%  -- $40.00 X 1.50 = $60.00   ---  Nice post and definition, but try again ....  

If you look at hotel prices, especially resorts, they have gone up 50-60% or more compared to pre covid prices. 

In the case of the cruises lines the increases in the add ons amount to maybe 5 to 15% of total cruise spend depending upon room type of those buying the packages. So the actual increase clearly in line with inflation, but much less then competing travel businesses. Wait until the increases start hitting actual fares not just the add ons.

Be thankful this is Princess not NCL some of their packages are in excess of 120 per day with the service charge.

I’ve had a drinks package on all my cruises since they started offering them back in 2013, with the exception of 2 three day positioning cruises between Los Angeles and Vancouver (we were in a suite on those 2 cruises, so a few mimosas with breakfast, plus one more in a coffee sippy  cup to go, set the morning up right and the dual mini bar setups kept us going until dinner). Back in 2013, there was no 15 drinks limit and I’m pretty sure all our dinning table occupants easily breached that limit on NYE on that cruise! 🥳

I plan on retiring in the next year, or two and number 1 on the bucket list is a round the world cruise (so I’ve been paying attention to a few recent posts/blogs and in addition, I did a little research on the ‘23 and ‘24 sailings). The plus package for the ‘23 sailing was around $5500 pp and the ‘24 sailing is around $6600 as the cruise is 111days, so I’m looking at an increase of ~$2200 for two people. 

I was on the fence at $5500pp as the consensus is 3 drinks a day is break even on the package, but that means a minimum of 333 drinks on the cruise. Not sure my liver is up for the challenge, but even if I drink less, with a package, there are no nasty surprises at the end of the cruise.

$6600 pp is a bridge too far for me. I think I’ll opt for the standard fare, pay grats as I go, buy 1 four device internet package for the two of us (I’m elite, so get the 50% discount) and pay by the drink at the bar, plus augment that with the in-room mini bars (I’m assuming a refill for each of the 5 cruise segments that make up the RTW itinerary) and supplement with the corkage fee on a mixed case of my own wine as I embark in San Pedro. 

It also means I can return to one of my favorite cruise activities that I haven’t done since the packages came along and that is have a local beer freshly poured from the tap at a bar at each and every port of call along the way.