Dinner Times/Reservation Question

Cruisegirl6

Hello,

We were only able to get 8 and 8:30pm dinner times, I did lock them in so we won't end up getting any later time.  Question, we prefer to eat at 7:15-7:30 since we have our reservations are we able to show up at 7:15 to see if a table is available for us at that time, or do we have to arrive at our designated dinner time?

We never had any problem booking 7 or 7:15 depending which one was open, we usually go to the dining room around 7. Cruise is still 2 months away and when I went to book the times all that was available was 6:15 or earlier or 8 or 8:15 or later. I booked some nights for the 6:15 and some for the 8:00. I figure we will go to the dining room at 7-7:15 and see what happens. Not sure if it's better to go earlier or later to the time I booked. The worst that can happen is they will put on the no reservation waiting line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Hello,

We were only able to get 8 and 8:30pm dinner times, I did lock them in so we won't end up getting any later time.  Question, we prefer to eat at 7:15-7:30 since we have our reservations are we able to show up at 7:15 to see if a table is available for us at that time, or do we have to arrive at our designated dinner time?

Just off of the Equinox with a 7:30 reservation.  We were travelling with 2 other couples and I called to combine the reservations and was told even though we were all linked that we would be able to combine them onboard.  When we went to dinner we got there a bit early and we were told no way to combine them, they told us that they couldn't even seat at individual tables for two.  On the second day I found the Maitre'd even then the ONLY solution we were given was to come at 6:00 every evening.  Not really an acceptable solution but what could we do.

Basically everyone wants to eat at 7 - 7:30 and those arriving at 6 aren't finished yet.  BTW there was a note in our room telling us if we didn't have to wait for dinner to come at 8 or 8:15 (standard card put in every room)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

Just off of the Equinox with a 7:30 reservation.  We were travelling with 2 other couples and I called to combine the reservations and was told even though we were all linked that we would be able to combine them onboard.  When we went to dinner we got there a bit early and we were told no way to combine them, they told us that they couldn't even seat at individual tables for two.  On the second day I found the Maitre'd even then the ONLY solution we were given was to come at 6:00 every evening.  Not really an acceptable solution but what could we do.

Basically everyone wants to eat at 7 - 7:30 and those arriving at 6 aren't finished yet.  BTW there was a note in our room telling us if we didn't have to wait for dinner to come at 8 or 8:15 (standard card put in every room)

Interesting,i just got off the Equinox as well on Jan 21.     We had a card in room that said come at 8:15.   I went to app and times were open for certain days at 5:30, some days 5:45 and some days 6/6:15.  I made the reservations.   When i went to dining room, maitre’d told me my reservations meant nothing and that when I came at those times, i would not be seated until all ahead of me were seated.    No reservation line and Walk in line,only one line .   He said if I didnt want to wait to come at 5:15 to 5:30. Which I did

• Like 1

1 hour ago, retird said:

Interesting,i just got off the Equinox as well on Jan 21.     We had a card in room that said come at 8:15.   I went to app and times were open for certain days at 5:30, some days 5:45 and some days 6/6:15.  I made the reservations.   When i went to dining room, maitre’d told me my reservations meant nothing and that when I came at those times, i would not be seated until all ahead of me were seated.    No reservation line and Walk in line,only one line .   He said if I didnt want to wait to come at 5:15 to 5:30. Which I did

I really find this completely and totally unacceptable.  Why put it on the app and allow a reservation to be made. I filled out the survey and a comment card which I dropped at Guest Relations since they said those were read.  I think I will also send an email  too.

• Like 3

We were on the December 22 equinox sailing. Made reservations for our group of eight for most nights. Showed up on the first night and was told that the reservation didn’t mean anything and that we would need to wait. This of course made no sense to me because what was the point of the reservation? A manager came up while I was speaking with the hostess and he did get us seated. After that, it seem to go more smoothly, they would save our table for us. 

• Like 1

Just wondering - is the issue mainly with honoring specific reservations for larger groups, or does this also happen for reservations made in advance for 2 people?  (On my upcoming cruise - I only hope for my timeslot to be honored - we are okay with sharing a table with others - and don't expect a table for two.)

If this gets really bad... is a fixed dining time still available? Or has this been eliminated?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lisamarie18 said:

We were on the December 22 equinox sailing. Made reservations for our group of eight for most nights. Showed up on the first night and was told that the reservation didn’t mean anything and that we would need to wait. This of course made no sense to me because what was the point of the reservation? A manager came up while I was speaking with the hostess and he did get us seated. After that, it seem to go more smoothly, they would save our table for us. 

Yikes!  We are a group of seven on the Equinox in June and have booked our reservations in MDR already but seemingly this no longer matters.  For your saved table, did your group attend the dining room at the "same time" as your original reservations or did you have to go earlier than the time you had reserved?  Any advice/insight would be appreciated.  TIA

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaisyFire said:

Just wondering - is the issue mainly with honoring specific reservations for larger groups, or does this also happen for reservations made in advance for 2 people?  (On my upcoming cruise - I only hope for my timeslot to be honored - we are okay with sharing a table with others - and don't expect a table for two.)

If this gets really bad... is a fixed dining time still available? Or has this been eliminated?

My reservations that didnt mean anything were just two of us but we were willing to share table

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have been on the Equinox 3-4 times and the Reflection last month. First cruise or 2 never knew you could make reservations Always went to dining room around 7 and maybe had to wait a few minutes for a table. Since then I was able to make reservations for 7 or 7:15 depending what was open and was always seated almost immediately at table for 2. As I indicated in my previous response, will be on the Equinox again in 2 months and was stuck choosing 6:15 or 8 as the closest to 7. Will still go at about 7 and see what happens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all, it's  been a long time since we've sailed Celebrity, due to be on Equinox in May & have select dining.

Having had issues in the past with Royal's "my time dining " mainly due to them using the dining room for a 1st sitting prior to MTD, thought that Celebrity may be easier due to having (we presume) a dedicated anytime venue.

Doesn't sound like it's the case, probably book the best time we can & see what happens.

Any thoughts? 

• Like 2

Well this is not good.  We’ve cruised with Celebrity 4 times before and always had Anytime Dining.  I don’t remember my first cruise but we likely did not have reservations and just showed up at the MDR when we were hungry.  I do know that we ate in the buffet a couple of times as this was when they still had “formal” nights and I had not brought the required clothes.  But on my next 3 cruises we did make reservations for 7 (or as close to 7 as was available) and sometimes were seated within minutes other times had to wait 10-15 minutes.  

I have a Feb 8 cruise coming up on Equinox and made reservations online for 7 p.m. every night last March as soon as I had booked the cruise.  I guess we’ll see how this goes once we board.  If they do not honour our reservations I will definitely be letting them know what I think (but I will not harass the hostess as such changes. are not her decisions).  This is our first cruise since the pandemic hit and we’ve been looking forward to it.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, thon said:

Well this is not good.  We’ve cruised with Celebrity 4 times before and always had Anytime Dining.  I don’t remember my first cruise but we likely did not have reservations and just showed up at the MDR when we were hungry.  I do know that we ate in the buffet a couple of times as this was when they still had “formal” nights and I had not brought the required clothes.  But on my next 3 cruises we did make reservations for 7 (or as close to 7 as was available) and sometimes were seated within minutes other times had to wait 10-15 minutes.  

I have a Feb 8 cruise coming up on Equinox and made reservations online for 7 p.m. every night last March as soon as I had booked the cruise.  I guess we’ll see how this goes once we board.  If they do not honour our reservations I will definitely be letting them know what I think (but I will not harass the hostess as such changes. are not her decisions).  This is our first cruise since the pandemic hit and we’ve been looking forward to it.  

I will add to our situation that the hostess was down right rude, refusing to let us speak to anyone.  I found the maitre'd the second night and as I said we had to change our 7:30 time to 6:00.   We had two couples with us who had never sailed X before and it wasn't a good start introducing them to Celebrity.  I plan to send an email to the higher ups.  

We do have two more cruises already booked before this but one is Retreat so I am assuming we won't have those problems.  

Not sure if you have been on the Equinox with a group before but it isn't very group friendly, since it was difficult to find space in all of the bars, got seats in the martini bar on one occasion only.  The areas will seat 6 but couples many times would sit in the larger areas leaving 4 or fewer seats. 

We have always booked select and just show up when the mood fancies us .   While I have not been on Equinox (booked for end of next month) what I have seen is one side for reservations and one for walk-ins.  Typically no more then 10-15 minutes to wait unless you hit it right after a show gets out.   We always top off the wine glass on the way to MDR and typically still have a little left by the time seated  this way any delays with the sommelier getting to the table are taken care of...    🙂  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Luvtoeat said:

We never had any problem booking 7 or 7:15 depending which one was open, we usually go to the dining room around 7. Cruise is still 2 months away and when I went to book the times all that was available was 6:15 or earlier or 8 or 8:15 or later. I booked some nights for the 6:15 and some for the 8:00. I figure we will go to the dining room at 7-7:15 and see what happens. Not sure if it's better to go earlier or later to the time I booked. The worst that can happen is they will put on the no reservation waiting line.

Agree, they are usually able to accommodate changes

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Reel Love said:

Yikes!  We are a group of seven on the Equinox in June and have booked our reservations in MDR already but seemingly this no longer matters.  For your saved table, did your group attend the dining room at the "same time" as your original reservations or did you have to go earlier than the time you had reserved?  Any advice/insight would be appreciated.  TIA

@Reel Love, we all were there at the time of the reservation.  We also got left the note suggesting that we eat later as well.  We just kept showing up for our reservation and it did end up working out - it was just the first night that was so chaotic.  But Celebrity shouldn't allow reservations if it doesn't work operationally for them....

• Like 2

13 hours ago, cnc123 said:

I am sailing on the Apex on 2/8.  I chose early dining, assuming that our dining time would in fact be fixed each evening as it is on Royal.  Is that not the case?

7FF365AF-178A-4C13-B01B-58747F405501.jpeg

The Apex sails out on Saturdays, i.e., yours would either this January 28th, and in February, the 4th or the 11th, 18th.  Celebrity states to refer to the dining reservation card in your stateroom.

Edited by Plum Happy

14 hours ago, cnc123 said:

I am sailing on the Apex on 2/8.  I chose early dining, assuming that our dining time would in fact be fixed each evening as it is on Royal.  Is that not the case?

7FF365AF-178A-4C13-B01B-58747F405501.jpeg

To my knowledge there is no longer any fixed dining on any E class ship. This has been posted about here on CC many times,. Sadly Celebrity hasn't put out the dining change information so many are caught by surprise once on board. 

Patty 

46 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

The Apex sails out on Saturdays, i.e., yours would either this January 28th, and in February, the 4th or the 11th, 18th.  Celebrity states to refer to the dining reservation card in your stateroom.

Apologies for the typo: 2/4.