Danube water levels 2023 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

12 hours ago, tamadig2001 said:

We'll be on the Avalon Passion sailing from Budapest to Bucharest on September 26. Keeping my fingers crossed that there will be no water level issues. And thank you notamermaid for keeping us posted.

Monica

"Sea" you passing!  When you see Viking Vidar coming up from the south (Bucharest), give me a wave!  🙂 

We currently have a high water warning. Our local Isar river will reach high water level 1 later today and will stay at this level for a couple of days. It´s raining (on and off) since Saturday and the WGs say this will last on at leat until tomorrow or Wednesday. The rain is even worse the closer you come to the Alps.

So there´s a lot of water coming and joining the Danube river. I expect some nice high water levels over the next days. But that´s a come and go. It won´t last for a long time.

But it´s an appreciated cool down over here after two weeks up to mid 90ies (and we all don´t have A/C).

steamboats

• Like 3

@steamboats, sorry, but I'm glad you are getting lots of rain...we sail on the 19th from Budapest, and so are really hoping we make it to Nuremburg. If we have to bus, we have to bus, but it would be nice to stay on the river.

I also have been watching the weather over there, and yeah, I see your temps. We also don't have A/C, and have had temps in the 30's for 3 months. This weekend is the first time we have had the windows open for more than 1/2 day. We are finding out just how noisy all the birds, squirrels and chipmunks are..... 🙂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Daisi said:

@steamboats, sorry, but I'm glad you are getting lots of rain...we sail on the 19th from Budapest, and so are really hoping we make it to Nuremburg. If we have to bus, we have to bus, but it would be nice to stay on the river.

There´s a lot of water flowing down the Danube river til the 19th 😉 (to use a German saying).

steamboats

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

We currently have a high water warning. Our local Isar river will reach high water level 1 later today and will stay at this level for a couple of days. It´s raining (on and off) since Saturday and the WGs say this will last on at leat until tomorrow or Wednesday. The rain is even worse the closer you come to the Alps.

Thank you. Hm, yes, tricky. I was wondering if it may not be a bit too much in a short space of time. The Isar is downstream from Pfelling of course, I see no problem for river cruise ships as yet, but with the Isar and Inn influencing Passau, we should have a look at the situation at the bridge there. Eyeyeh, that is a sharp rise in the graph! The gauge now says 613cm. May turn out a bit too little headroom. Will see how it goes and perhaps someone sends us a report from onboard a ship.

All the best to you and Munich.

notamermaid

• Like 1

We are on the GE now in Passau and were booked for an excursion cruise on the Inn to Schärding which was cancelled due to the excess rain. I hope that the higher river level for the Danube doesn’t cause us any more problems with staying on our original schedule to Budapest. We already did a ship swap from Nuremberg to Passau because of low water. The Egdir tried to backtrack to our Regensberg stop when the water level went up but the lock broke Saturday night.  I think it’s fixed now. Never a dull moment when river cruising! 

• Like 1

I'm currently on Travelmarvel Polaris at Durnstein.  We had a ship swap in Nuremberg last week due to low water.  Cruise Director advised that things have changed radically since last week and it is considered cruises will be disrupted at Passau due to high water meaning bridge is unable to be passed.  It won't affect me but will definitely affect those currently departing Budapest for Amsterdam or on their way to Budapest and currently on the Main.

• Thanks 1

Currently on the Avalon Envision. The Danube water level is very high and it's still raining. We were supposed to disembark tomorrow in Vilshofen but we had to turn around and now we're heading to Engelhartszell. We were there in Passau today and they are preparing for flooding when we sailed past. 

• Thanks 3

We just left Passau a couple of hours ago to head to Melk. We had only 3 inches to spare getting under the bridge and are very lucky that we got through when we did! The rain is still very heavy where we are and the water is flowing very swiftly. Also, there is a lot of detritus in the river now. 

• Like 1

We are now docked and are next to the Tauck Joy, which we started out next to last week in Budapest. Apparently many ships are being rerouted. We're heading to Prague tomorrow, so we'Il an hour later than scheduled. Folks who have flights out of Munich have to leave 45 minutes earlier than planned. 

Excess water was not on my August Danube cruise  bingo card. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MisterBill99 said:

Currently on the Avalon Envision. The Danube water level is very high and it's still raining. We were supposed to disembark tomorrow in Vilshofen but we had to turn around and now we're heading to Engelhartszell. We were there in Passau today and they are preparing for flooding when we sailed past. 

We will be on the Envision starting in Budapest on 17 October. How things change so quickly - low water now high water. Hopefully things will settle by the time our cruise departs. Hope you have enjoyed the cruise despite the changes to the ending.

Hearing from someone on an Avalon cruise right now, they were to disembark in Vilshofen, but turning around and going to Engelhartszell.  They were in Passau today and they were preparing for flooding. 

I want rain, but not *that* much!

@steamboats, hope you and all manage to stay dry.

35 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Hearing from someone on an Avalon cruise right now, they were to disembark in Vilshofen, but turning around and going to Engelhartszell.  They were in Passau today and they were preparing for flooding. 

I want rain, but not *that* much!

Yes, I'm on Envision and just posted that above. 

• Like 2

Oh dear. Sorry to hear about the affected cruises.

3 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

Excess water was not on my August Danube cruise  bingo card. 

Yes, rare. Hope things go smoothly tomorrow. Have a great time in Prague.

notamermaid

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Daisi said:

Thanks, no need to worry about me. My home is high above our local Isar river (actually at least 90ft/30m). And the river has plenty of room so usually there are no buildings flooded.

Wasserburg crested right over level 3. Passau is on level 3 right now and won´t reach level 4 according to the current forecast.

You can check the webcam

Webcam | PASSAU

where you can clearly see some flooding. But the people there are used to it.

steamboats

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I may have said before but one year a few of us woke early to get that iconic photograph of the confluence and sometime earlier in the night our Captain had been advised to leave the Moselle as the waters were rising quite quickly. Note to self must do the trip again but not just for that photograph.

Thank you Steamboats for the webcam link that waters pretty high!

Edited by Canal archive

Our ship, Viking Egdir, had to pull over and dock in Linz at 2:30 am when we were only half way to our destination of Melk, Austria because of the extremely rapid current on the Danube now. They are hoping to bus us to our tour of Melk Abbey in a few hours but have no idea as to what the plan for us after that will be. As it’s still raining here I don’t know if the Danube’s waters will be becoming any calmer later in the day. Our fabulous cruise director is doing the best he can but Mother Nature is fully in charge now! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1