Is a 10:10 am flight leaving Barcelona doable in October?

HBLm3

53 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

A lot these post are from US posters,,,,flights to the US mainly operate from the relatively new Terminal 1,,,,flights to the UK usually operate from the old T2.

Book a taxi for 08:00 you will be at check-in for 08:30,plenty of time to get a 10:10 flight.

I fly regularly Liverpool- Barca with a 10:30 return flight and I’m sat waiting to board.

Most flights from T2 check- in won’t open until 2 hrs before flight time.

Book a taxi transfer for 07:45 and you will be waiting for check-in to open.

If you have an EasyJet flight they have their own departure terminal (T2c)and it’s a whizz through.

Official Minimum check in times in Barcelona are 2 hours domestic/within the Schengen area and 3 hours outside of the Schengen area. The UK is not in the Schengen area.

As the OP hasn't booked flights with X they will not be guaranteed any priority with disembarkation. The only way to ensure they will be amongst the first off will be to self disembark (i.e. carry all.bags off with no assistance).

All the above assumes there are no delays in docking and the ship being cleared.

If the OP is to attempt this they must also have a back up plan that enables them to change flights without a huge penalty. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sunlover5 said:

JeanieC,

we are also flying back to states from Barcelona this fall. How do you do you book a taxi transfer?  Is it something you do ahead of time?  The latest flight we could book was 12:15. Thank you for the information!!!!!

There is usually lots of taxis outside the cruise terminal,but you can pre-book a taxi transfer just to be sure,,the driver will be outside the bag reclaim doors with a sign with your name on.

Just Google Barcelona taxi transfers there are loads of companies.

Just put depart from Barcelona Port.

Btw,,taxi fares are a set price set by the Barca council.

Just did a dummy booking,,,,,,,£34,,,,journey time 21 minutes,,,,1-4 people.

Company called Hoppa.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Official Minimum check in times in Barcelona are 2 hours domestic/within the Schengen area and 3 hours outside of the Schengen area. The UK is not in the Schengen area.

As the OP hasn't booked flights with X they will not be guaranteed any priority with disembarkation. The only way to ensure they will be amongst the first off will be to self disembark (i.e. carry all.bags off with no assistance).

All the above assumes there are no delays in docking and the ship being cleared.

If the OP is to attempt this they must also have a back up plan that enables them to change flights without a huge penalty. 

I believe all flights from T2 are classed as Schengen area.

Of coarse there can be hiccups but none of us has a crystal ball,,but in my experience walk off from Barcelona has always been around 07:00.

In 5 cruises from Barca I have always booked a taxi for 08:00 and been stood outside of baggage reclaim waiting for it.

Of course they should have a back up plan,,like we all do.

Don't understand min check- in time?

Do you mean earliest is 3 hrs?,,,latest can be 40 minutes.

ps,I’ve always found Celebrity very reasonable in debark times,,,,show GR your early flight ticket they will give you an early debark.

Heck they have even given me an early debark from Southampton to get on an Eavesway coach.

Edited by JeanieC,Aston

Doable? Probably. Stressful? Man, you have no idea. You have to get off the boat quickly, get your luggage, make it through customs, get your ride to the airport, check luggage in, get through security and get to your gate all at a airport you might be unsure about. THAT'S if it all goes perfect. I wouldn't do it. Quite often I won't fly out til the next day, I get a hotel near the airport and just chill. A lot less stress and worry to do that.

Thank you all for the loads of advice. I haven't booked the flight yet. I would love to figure out how to use Flights by Celebrity but unfortunately it refuses to play well with my computer or iPhone. I cannot get any of the flights to load in such a way that I can actually select one so that I can get to the return choices. I will try one-ways just to see what they offer. The  10:10 flight I was interested in taking goes to LHR, then from there a 2 hour + transfer time until the direct flight to San Diego. We have done this transfer 3-4 times before. Has it gotten worse since covid? I am looking into other alternatives including staying the night. It just would have been perfect if that was doable. 

7 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

I believe all flights from T2 are classed as Schengen area.

Of coarse there can be hiccups but none of us has a crystal ball,,but in my experience walk off from Barcelona has always been around 07:00.

In 5 cruises from Barca I have always booked a taxi for 08:00 and been stood outside of baggage reclaim waiting for it.

Of course they should have a back up plan,,like we all do.

Don't understand min check- in time?

Do you mean earliest is 3 hrs?,,,latest can be 40 minutes.

ps,I’ve always found Celebrity very reasonable in debark times,,,,show GR your early flight ticket they will give you an early debark.

Heck they have even given me an early debark from Southampton to get on an Eavesway coach

Sorry for any confusion over check in time. Simply if a flight from Barcelona departs at 10.00 and it is going to an airport within the Schengen area the latest time you can check in is 08.00. If it's going to an airport outside the Schengen area the latest you could check in would be 07.00.

Future Issues:

From November 2023  most people from outside the Schengen area (including UK, US and Canadian passport holders) will also be required to have an ETIAS - which is basically the equivalent of an ESTA which UK citizens currently reguire to visit the USA. It will all be done online and the cost will be 7 Euro.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, HBLm3 said:

Thank you all for the loads of advice. I haven't booked the flight yet. I would love to figure out how to use Flights by Celebrity but unfortunately it refuses to play well with my computer or iPhone. I cannot get any of the flights to load in such a way that I can actually select one so that I can get to the return choices. I will try one-ways just to see what they offer. The  10:10 flight I was interested in taking goes to LHR, then from there a 2 hour + transfer time until the direct flight to San Diego. We have done this transfer 3-4 times before. Has it gotten worse since covid? I am looking into other alternatives including staying the night. It just would have been perfect if that was doable. 

We just returned from BCN in June 2022.  As everyone reports, lines to check bags and passport control were very long.  UK passengers with 10:15 am flight were trying to cut into the passport control line to avoid missing their flights.  I think it's gotten worse since Brexit

• Like 1

11 hours ago, the penguins said:

Sorry for any confusion over check in time. Simply if a flight from Barcelona departs at 10.00 and it is going to an airport within the Schengen area the latest time you can check in is 08.00. If it's going to an airport outside the Schengen area the latest you could check in would be 07.00.

Future Issues:

From November 2023  most people from outside the Schengen area (including UK, US and Canadian passport holders) will also be required to have an ETIAS - which is basically the equivalent of an ESTA which UK citizens currently reguire to visit the USA. It will all be done online and the cost will be 7 Euro.

I’m not sure this is true. Living in Scotland we fly to Europe frequently and often the  earliest check in time is 2 hours before the flight and the latest check in time is 40 minutes prior. Last year in Venice we couldn’t even drop off our luggage until 2 hours prior. 

• Like 2

We have flown from BCN several times, the earliest on a 10:50am flight without any issues. WE booked through Celebrity for our upcoming August cruise and it departs at 11:10am. I believe the earliest Celebrity will book is 11:00am.  

A couple of things to consider, how many ships will also be there trying to disembark and what day of the week?   Near a holiday? 

We have never experienced the issues that others have spoken of but maybe we just got lucky a few times.

3 hours ago, barneyboy said:

I’m not sure this is true. Living in Scotland we fly to Europe frequently and often the  earliest check in time is 2 hours before the flight and the latest check in time is 40 minutes prior. Last year in Venice we couldn’t even drop off our luggage until 2 hours prior. 

The OP was asking specifically about flights from Barcelona. The times I have quoted are the ones on the Barcelona airport website. In the end everyone is free to make their own choice. Nothing I have seen on this thread would even tempt me to try for a 10.00 flight.

25 minutes ago, the penguins said:

The OP was asking specifically about flights from Barcelona. The times I have quoted are the ones on the Barcelona airport website. In the end everyone is free to make their own choice. Nothing I have seen on this thread would even tempt me to try for a 10.00 flight.

Totally agree with you, the OP is connecting in LHR for a flight to the US way to risky 

6 hours ago, barneyboy said:

I believe that to be correct.

Maybe there is confusion re check in times as with,,,,,Online check- in closes 2 hrs before flight.

According to EasyJet FAQs check-in desks at BCN airport opens between 2-2:30 hrs before flight.

I have actually sat in the cafe landside waiting for desk to open 2 hrs before.

Ive also checked in for my flight less than 1 before flight.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

I believe that to be correct.

Maybe there is confusion re check in times as with,,,,,Online check- in closes 2 hrs before flight.

According to EasyJet FAQs check-in desks at BCN airport opens between 2-2:30 hrs before flight.

I have actually sat in the cafe landside waiting for desk to open 2 hrs before.

Ive also checked in for my flight less than 1 before flight.

There seems to be a disconnect between what the OP asked and some of the advice.

The request was for Barcelona to Heathrow.

Neither Ryan Air or EasyJet operate on this route into Heathrow so those airlines requirements are irrelevant.

The OP has given no indication that they intend to  "walk off" the ship i.e. to disembark with all their bags and no assistance.

Passengers who have posted their recent experiences all seem to be firmly in the "no" camp.

Hopefully the OP will post their final decision and, if they do try for the 10.00 flight how it works out.

• 2 months later...
On 1/28/2023 at 1:53 PM, JeanieC,Aston said:

A lot these post are from US posters,,,,flights to the US mainly operate from the relatively new Terminal 1,,,,flights to the UK usually operate from the old T2.

Book a taxi for 08:00 you will be at check-in for 08:30,plenty of time to get a 10:10 flight.

I fly regularly Liverpool- Barca with a 10:30 return flight and I’m sat waiting to board.

Most flights from T2 check- in won’t open until 2 hrs before flight time.

Book a taxi transfer for 07:45 and you will be waiting for check-in to open.

If you have an EasyJet flight they have their own departure terminal (T2c)and it’s a whizz through.

Our flight (BA) has been brought forward to 1055.  Last June we were through and to the airport very quickly, so quickly the check in wasn't even open. 

Can you advise which taxi company you booked with and where did you pick up the taxi

Thanks

Sue