Is a 10:10 am flight leaving Barcelona doable in October?

HBLm3

Hi. We are flying out of Barcelona after our October Celebrity Reflection cruise. The cruise is supposed to get into port at 5 a.m. Is a 10:10 a.m. flight doable and if yes, what is the best way? We are Aqua Class if that matters. The flight will go to London then connect to a flight to the states. Thanks!

We have flown out of Barcelona several times but the last time was in October 2019.  My memory is that each time we have flown out there have been significant slow lines and wait times.  It will be interesting to read the posts of others who have flown out more recently.

• Like 1

This is my first time taking a cruise so this is all new to me. I know from reading that it can take 2 hours sometimes after coming in to port to start letting people off the ship which would be around 7. How much leeway is usually needed? Airports have minimum connection times and while some people are okay with those, I usually like a buffer. What is the recommended buffer I guess is what I am asking? What do experienced cruisers consider the gold standard for a planned 5 a.m. docking time? We live on the west coast so there are less flight options later in the day for us. Thanks.

Our experience, most recent in October 2019, was a 2 hour lineup to get through the Business/1st class luggage checkin & customs clearance line.  Passengers flying economy with 11:00 a.m.  flights were very upset because it was obvious that they were going to miss their flights.  This was our second trip out of Barcelona (same story with the earlier one), so we said we'd never fly out of Barcelona again.  I would be interested to learn that things have improved post-covid.

Are you flying back to The States from Barcelona? If so I'd stay an extra night and book that flight for the following day. Gives you a lot of wiggle room and Barcelona is a great city to explore. 

Many variables, 10 am is too tight for me. 

Patty 

Edited by cw2go
  • Like 5

Just now, cw2go said:

Are you flying back to The States from Barcelona? If so I'd stay an extra night and book that flight for the following day. Gives you a lot of wiggle room and Barcelona is a great city to explore. 

Many variables, 10 am is too tight for mw. 

Patty 

Totally agree with you, Patty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HBLm3 said:

Hi. We are flying out of Barcelona after our October Celebrity Reflection cruise. The cruise is supposed to get into port at 5 a.m. Is a 10:10 a.m. flight doable and if yes, what is the best way? We are Aqua Class if that matters. The flight will go to London then connect to a flight to the states. Thanks!

There are several discussion on the Spain port section of Cruise Critic. This one mentions concerns a passenger has about an 11:30am flight.  In theory, you could make your flight, but you should have a Plan B as a back-up if you encounter any delays along the way. I would be risk averse and take a later flight, or spend the night in Barcelona. But your risk tolerance may be greater than mine. 
Do you feel lucky?

Edited by SFCAcruiser
Typos
  • Like 1

We have a 12:30 flight and getting to the airport was not bad. I have been on may flights all over the world. My worst flights ever were in and out of BCN. Flying in we had to aboard landing because an aircraft was on our runway. Flying out of BCN we waited over a hour on the tarmac waiting to take off.   

Our experience at Barcelona airport mirrors the others - the longest queues we have ever experienced at an airport, ever (and we've been to lots of airports!).   On the last occasion (2019) we arrived more than 3 hours early to the airport and still came close to missing our flight because of the queues.  We were literally running to our gate whilst the final calls were being made.  There's no way I would book a flight leaving before midday on disembarkation day, be it at Barcelona or anywhere else.  Who needs that kind of stress after a relaxing cruise?!

• Like 1

The short answer is NO. Arriving at 5 am doesn’t  equate to disembarking that early. Even if you disembark at 7, being the first off the ship, you still have to get through the BCN airport, which as others have mentioned, is no easy feat. I’d book an afternoon flight or stay an extra night in Barcelona. 

• Like 1

Always the same answer - if you need to ask if you have enough time to board a flight; you don't. 

Docking scheduled for 5am doesn't mean disembarking at 5:01 or even 6:00.  Then add the 90 minutes before take-off at which time you must have already checked your luggage. 

As an aside - fly back to the US either directly or with a connection ANYWHERE EXCEPT LONDON.  

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SusieAV8R said:

Our experience, most recent in October 2019, was a 2 hour lineup to get through the Business/1st class luggage checkin & customs clearance line.

we had this exact experience in September 2022. Barcelona has the most efficient cruise port and the worst airport!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HBLm3 said:

No. Sounds like a recipe for a heart attack. 

I am sure Celebrity would not sell you a flight this early which should raise a warning flag. Don't do it to yourself. Either overnight in Barcelona or London. We got the train to Madrid last time and spent the night there before flying home. 

A lot these post are from US posters,,,,flights to the US mainly operate from the relatively new Terminal 1,,,,flights to the UK usually operate from the old T2.

Book a taxi for 08:00 you will be at check-in for 08:30,plenty of time to get a 10:10 flight.

I fly regularly Liverpool- Barca with a 10:30 return flight and I’m sat waiting to board.

Most flights from T2 check- in won’t open until 2 hrs before flight time.

Book a taxi transfer for 07:45 and you will be waiting for check-in to open.

If you have an EasyJet flight they have their own departure terminal (T2c)and it’s a whizz through.

Edited by JeanieC,Aston
  • Like 1