First time in Halifax -- explore town or visit Lunenburg and/or Peggy's Cove?

cruisemom42

27 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not so sure about those beaver tails though....  😂

Somehow I suspected they might not be for you. 😂  We fell in love with them, though. And it’s a good thing they can’t be found anywhere near where we live. 😂

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I hope everyone realizes that beaver tails are not made from beavers, but from flour, butter, sugar, cinnamon.......quite appropriate for vegetarians and animal lovers, and very delicious.

Yes, definitely not made from beavers, and absolutely delicious. 🙂   (Many flavors from which to choose.  This is Nutella.  Yum.)

IMG_8477.thumb.JPG.f019d6d3df19abced655ecab2c5da4f9.JPG

IMG_8478(2).thumb.JPG.dda8fa2ecce25279dfe647b365698cfc.JPG

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 3:19 PM, lynncarol said:

Peggy's Cove is very scenic but it will be crowded with tourists.  Given your interests, I would definitely spend my time in Halifax.  Been there three times now but If you are really torn, once we took the ship tour to Peggy's Cove and the Titanic Graveyard. I think it was 4 1/2 hours total, so you could do that in the morning, then (assuming your ship has a later departure) see the Halifax attractions. Titanic Museum and waterfront area, the Citadel/fort and the Botanical Gardens are my personal favorites. Try to time your visit to the citadel when they fire the cannon. Very cool.

The cannon is shot at noon every day, they do a reenactment.  The water front also has the immigration museum, people can look up ancestors imjigration.   Lunenburg is worth the drive.  If you have a few people, hire a driver have them take you to Peggy’s Cove fist thing in the morning to beat the crowds, then continue on to Mahone Bay and Lunenburg.   The drive is beautiful.

On 5/28/2023 at 2:23 PM, Turtles06 said:

Yes, definitely not made from beavers, and absolutely delicious. 🙂   (Many flavors from which to choose.  This is Nutella.  Yum.)

IMG_8477.thumb.JPG.f019d6d3df19abced655ecab2c5da4f9.JPG

IMG_8478(2).thumb.JPG.dda8fa2ecce25279dfe647b365698cfc.JPG

Where did you purchase these? We'll just stay near port this next trip in October. We've always done a tour but opted not to this time. I did not see these last trip as our tour took up our whole visit.

16 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Where did you purchase these? We'll just stay near port this next trip in October. We've always done a tour but opted not to this time. I did not see these last trip as our tour took up our whole visit.

In Halifax, there's a Beaver Tails stand that is about halfway down the boardwalk as you walk from the cruise docks toward the Maritime Museum.  It was in an an area with many other food options.   (Their website says the address is 1549 Lower Water Street.)   

You can't miss it.  🙂 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/22/2023 at 8:50 PM, seattleslew said:

I didn't know what to expect in Halifax so jumped on the HOHO bus right outside the disembark gangway --- maybe 500'?  I enjoyed it so much I hopped off (!) at the end of it, headed back to the ship and it was such a beautiful day that I turned back around to hop right back on for one more go-round.  90 min?  I actually would recommend doing that because I got a different driver and the narration was different. If it's nice, sit up top.  I got chills hearing about the explosion --- I'd never heard about it.  A few people got off at the Titanic cemetery but it was a slight uphill trek (a block?) and didn't look like much.  Just hearing they are buried there and in the Jewish cemetery as well was enough.  If you have the time to go around twice, you can decide where you'd like to get off the second time.  I wished I had time between Stops 4 and 5 to explore the Spring Garden Shopping District.  Jennifer's of Nova Scotia was mentioned by both drivers so I'm sure it's either worth a stop for souvenirs or she pays them!  I was told by a local to treat myself to a Donair, the official food of Halifax which is really a gyro with a twist.  The only one I could find was at Scotia Square (ground floor of an office building) because the "season" wasn't open yet.  I suspect that after May 15th, you might see food carts.  The town was vital, busy and alive on a sunny Mon, April 24, 2023.  Next time, museums!

How much does the HOHO bus cost?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2023 at 9:53 AM, shipgeeks said:

I hope everyone realizes that beaver tails are not made from beavers, but from flour, butter, sugar, cinnamon.......quite appropriate for vegetarians and animal lovers, and very delicious.

Thanks for pointing that out! I was wondering why just the tail? Not as meaty as other parts of a beaver. My sister lived in a very rural part of PA., and they often ate squirrel pot pie! (and possum🤔)

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Why spend the day on a bus to see a tourist-crowded Peggy's Cove when you can stroll the beautiful waterfront and Public gardens or visit the Maritime Museum or Citadel. We are heading back to Haifax again this July. I'm looking forward roaming and enjoying the city, and stop at Peace by Chocolate.

• Like 1

I love Halifax. You can walk the seawall and see so much. Right where the ships dock is the immigration museum and I found my grandmother's ship in a picture posted in there. Of course there are lots of touristy things along the waterfront but there is also some fantastic art and some great historical spots. The HOHO will also take you to some great historical places but you don't have to do it that way. Halifax is very hilly apart from the sea walk, though, so the HOHO helps. 

The beavertails are a lot like bannock but not as fluffy and they are worth having just to say you did. There is also a stand on the board walk that sells everything bacon. There are tons of great restaurants in Halifax too. A bit of a Maritime foody centre. If you do wander the sea walk, there is a vessel there that not only survived World War I but the Halifax Explosion AND World War II. It's rusting out so you may want to take the opportunity to see it now. Personally, I'm going to Peggy's Cove and Lunenberg. Being from the West Coast of BC, it's not that exciting to me but my sister really wants to see Peggy's Cove. I've been to Halifax a couple of times and know I will take every chance to go again, so I can sacrifice one trip! In the defence of the places though, it's a great lighthouse, a marvellously dangerous aspect and a lovely town/village at Peggy's Cove and a beautiful town in Lunenberg. You really can't go wrong no matter what you pick

Chiming in on Peggy's Cove....

We went there when we were staying in Lunenberg while on our own driving trip to 3 of the Atlantic provinces. We got there before the tour busses rolled in so did enjoy it somewhat to ourselves for awhile. Also visited Mahones Bay. 

Personally, I would not want to book a ship or private tour from the ship to Peggy's Cove. The experience is so diminished by crowds.

We have booked a private tour to the Annapolis Valley for our Halifax stop, but after seeing all these posts wondering if we should cancel and concentrate on the city since we didn't visit there on our land vacay.

On 5/28/2023 at 6:53 AM, Turtles06 said:

Apologies for being late to the table here, but since your cruise is still in the future, I just want to add my own recommendation to stay in Halifax, given your interests. 

I think you would find the Immigration Museum particularly worthwhile to visit.  Besides the history presented there, the Museum openly celebrates the diversity of Canada’s immigrant peoples and their importance to the country. It also owns up to shameful episodes in Canadian history, including the turning away of the St. Louis, which I don’t think our country does, at least not in the same way. 

We were very moved by our visit to the Museum, and spent more time there than we thought we would. 

We love Halifax. Beautiful walk along the waterfront, with many food choices, including Beaver Tails. 😊

And plenty more places of interest, including the Citadel, the Botanical Gardens, and the “Titanic” Cemetery. 

We went to the Immigration museum last Sept, but also going back this year.  I am intrigued by your comment about " the turning away of the St. Louis".  I have never heard of that, can you explain please?  I am from the UK, which may explain my lack of knowledge.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tring said:

We went to the Immigration museum last Sept, but also going back this year.  I am intrigued by your comment about " the turning away of the St. Louis".  I have never heard of that, can you explain please?  I am from the UK, which may explain my lack of knowledge.

In 1939, a shameful turning away by Cuba, the U.S., and Canada of Jews fleeing N A Z I Germany aboard a ship called the St. Louis.  Here’s an overview.  In fact, your country did far better.  Thank you.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_St._Louis

Edit note: Cruise Critic censors out the use of the word N A Z I, even in an historical, factual context, so I had to put spaces between the letters for this to post.  

Edited by Turtles06

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

In 1939, a shameful turning away by Cuba, the U.S., and Canada of Jews fleeing N A Z I Germany aboard a ship called the St. Louis.  Here’s an overview.  In fact, your country did far better.  Thank you.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_St._Louis

Edit note: Cruise Critic censors out the use of the word N A Z I, even in an historical, factual context, so I had to put spaces between the letters for this to post.  

Thank you, a much appreciated reply.  I hope your post remains as it is useful information.  We did not see anything referring to that in the immigration museum last Sept, but did learn that the immigration system was very discriminatory until about mid sixties, which we found surprising for Canada.  The talk mentioned a very well educated black gentleman who was discriminated against on arrival, yet they were happy to accept his wife.  Seems some people had to return to where they came from.

Edited by tring

Hi all,

Does the hop on hop off bus get you anywhere near Peace by Chocolate?  First time going to  Halifax and being from California would love to see Peggy's Cove.  I understand what you are saying about tourists, but I am one and this may be my only time up this way:)

In August we'll have our 4th port stop in Halifax--wonderful city & area.  it is well worth it if you are interested in going to Peggy's Cove to book a private tour & talk to the tour guide ahead of time to request going directly to PC first thing before the tour busses arrive. It is fabulous to be able to explore with few people around. I believe it is one of the most photographed spots in Canada.

image.jpeg

DSC01816.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks for the great pictures.  Has anyone taken a trip advisor/viator Peggy's Cove Express Small Group from Halifax (maximum 6 people)?  For those arriving via cruise ship it shows a potential pick up at the Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21.

On 5/30/2024 at 10:24 AM, TMLAalum said:

Chiming in on Peggy's Cove....

We went there when we were staying in Lunenberg while on our own driving trip to 3 of the Atlantic provinces. We got there before the tour busses rolled in so did enjoy it somewhat to ourselves for awhile. Also visited Mahones Bay. 

Personally, I would not want to book a ship or private tour from the ship to Peggy's Cove. The experience is so diminished by crowds.

We have booked a private tour to the Annapolis Valley for our Halifax stop, but after seeing all these posts wondering if we should cancel and concentrate on the city since we didn't visit there on our land vacay.

I am local to Halifax and wondering what the Annapolis valley tour involves?? The city is wonderful if you haven't experienced it

On 6/1/2024 at 8:19 PM, B4ouigo said:

Hi all,

Does the hop on hop off bus get you anywhere near Peace by Chocolate?  First time going to  Halifax and being from California would love to see Peggy's Cove.  I understand what you are saying about tourists, but I am one and this may be my only time up this way:)

Peace By Chocolate is on the Halifax boardwalk and a 10 minute walk from the ship

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gold1953 said:

I am local to Halifax and wondering what the Annapolis valley tour involves?? The city is wonderful if you haven't experienced it

Per the tour company's website:

THE ANNAPOLIS VALLEY TOUR  – Famous for its beautiful sites and great tasting wine, the Annapolis Valley provides a day filled of highs and lows …tides ! Some of the highest tides in the world !

We are hoping to see the tidal difference from our 1st stop on the Bay of Fundy and the last before we head back to Halifax. This is something our traveling companions really wanted and I am fine with wine so that is why we chose this tour. DH and I experienced the tides at Hopewell Rocks NB- admission allowed re-entry so in the morning we walked the shore and when we returned that afternoon it was completely covered by the sea!

On 6/3/2024 at 8:45 AM, TMLAalum said:

Per the tour company's website:

THE ANNAPOLIS VALLEY TOUR  – Famous for its beautiful sites and great tasting wine, the Annapolis Valley provides a day filled of highs and lows …tides ! Some of the highest tides in the world !

We are hoping to see the tidal difference from our 1st stop on the Bay of Fundy and the last before we head back to Halifax. This is something our traveling companions really wanted and I am fine with wine so that is why we chose this tour. DH and I experienced the tides at Hopewell Rocks NB- admission allowed re-entry so in the morning we walked the shore and when we returned that afternoon it was completely covered by the sea!

The wineries are lovely to visit!. It should be a very good day

• Thanks 1