Wrinkle in our plans - Rotterdam Southern Seafarer, January 25 - February 4

ksmaxey

7 hours ago, C&K2Cruise said:

Just to clarify … if you are confirmed Covid positive  no further testing until day 6. From day 6 to 10,  daily test  until you test negative at which point you are cleared.  You are automatically cleared at day 10 regardless of test outcome.  

I guess there’s the incentive to report as early as possible.  If you wait a couple of days to report, you still have to remain quarantined for 5 days even though you will be testing negative by then

Based on our conversation with medical I have good reason to believe that there is a fair amount of positive cases on this segment.

We would be due to be tested on Saturday but they said they won't test because we are disembarking.  We will see if we get notice about the special disembarkation process.  If not we will mask up and self disembark early. 

We are both feeling significantly better and know that is because of our vaccination status.

It took a couple of days to get the "special" lunch and dinner menus delivered to our mailbox. These offer about half the options as in the main dining room.  By then we had figured out how to order what we wanted from wherever we wanted.  (We even got the Canaletto by paying the fee - though discounted because of status.)   For breakfast they use the same room service breakfast menu so we write in what we want.   For lunch yesterday we just called in our order.  For dinner we wrote in what we wanted on the paper menu and left in our mailbox.

After the first day we haven't had any trouble ordering beverages from our signature beverage plan. 

We are curious what will happen with the Thermal package we had purchased and could only use half of before testing positive.  We have already gotten a second letter about future cruise credit or using our insurance for 90% back.

18 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

A quick question for those who have contracted Covid, do you have any idea how you were infected?  Was it a crowded theatre, someone coughing on a bus, etc?

Based on the timing it was either the day of travel or the first two days on the ship.  We wore a mask on the plane except for 15 minutes eating/drinking.  We didn't wear a mask in the lounge before the flight but were well spaced out.

On the ship we had private tables in the dining room but did attend the origin story of HAL and went to the Rolling stone Rock room and BB Kings.

It is hard to say exactly because it would have taken 15 minutes plus of close contact.  Not likely an elevator though those could be petri dishes.

In terms of insurance - we have had no costs because of Covid and we do have documentation.  Because we are likely to take future cruise credit which is worth 100% vs trip protection 90% we won't need any further documentation as the front desk has already sent a letter confirming our dx and options.

Kevin 

So my husband tested negative this morning on day 7 and quarantine has been lifted.  I also tested negative but have to do one final test in 48 hours as I am a “close contact “.  I am so tired of having this hanging over us but c’est la vie.  

4 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

A quick question for those who have contracted Covid, do you have any idea how you were infected?  Was it a crowded theatre, someone coughing on a bus, etc?

Who really knows?  My guess is the gym as that is one place my husband went that I did not.  We did do a shore excursion that involved a van ride but we wore masks.  But it could have been anywhere.  You just don’t know.  

5 minutes ago, C&K2Cruise said:

So my husband tested negative this morning on day 7 and quarantine has been lifted.  I also tested negative but have to do one final test in 48 hours as I am a “close contact “.  I am so tired of having this hanging over us but c’est la vie.  

Congratulations on your DH clearing quarantine, I hope you can clear soon.

5 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I don’t know what you have in terms of documentation for the insurance but I would try to get a copy of the positive test result with the date showing when you got sick.  The insurance may get a lot more difficult once you disembark.

The medical center provides documentation 

1 minute ago, C&K2Cruise said:

Who really knows?  My guess is the gym as that is one place my husband went that I did not.  We did do a shore excursion that involved a van ride but we wore masks.  But it could have been anywhere.  You just don’t know.  

I knew the gym wasn’t good for you. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, ksmaxey said:

It is hard to say exactly because it would have taken 15 minutes plus of close contact.  Not likely an elevator though those could be petri dishes.

Just so you know, it's 15 minutes of cumulative exposure. So if within all that travel and socializing you were in contact with any combination of positive people, within any 24 hour period, and inhaled 15 minutes worth of virus, you could get covid. Such as 5 people for 3 minutes each in 24 hours or 3 people for 5 minutes. Also the virus hangs around poorly ventilated areas, like a small restaurant or lounge that isn't being ventilated well. That's why the elevators are not good. 

We actually took a CO2 monitor with us on our last cruise. The worst place we were in during the cruise was the Pinnacle Grill. It has a low ceiling and there is only a small single door opening. It didn't help that a lady 3 tables away was coughing about every 6 minutes. The BBKings and Rolling Stones were bad when they were packed. HAL should up their air filtration in these places.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Congratulations on your DH clearing quarantine, I hope you can clear soon.

I have never been under quarantine even though in same cabin with husband.  As a precaution for others, I do mask when in public indoor areas and have been severely limiting activities.  Yes I will be very happy to get the final test done and hopefully negative 

6 minutes ago, C&K2Cruise said:

I have never been under quarantine even though in same cabin with husband.  As a precaution for others, I do mask when in public indoor areas and have been severely limiting activities.  Yes I will be very happy to get the final test done and hopefully negative 

I did talk to Guest Services on the first day of quarantine about a separate cabin to sleep in.  There is an isolation area on the ship where my husband could have been moved to but I would not have been able to see him at all for the quarantine period.  We elected not to do that as we figured I had already been exposed and we have a nice balcony that has been a great place for my husband to spend time.  Not sure what the isolation cabin would have been!  

6 minutes ago, C&K2Cruise said:

I did talk to Guest Services on the first day of quarantine about a separate cabin to sleep in.  There is an isolation area on the ship where my husband could have been moved to but I would not have been able to see him at all for the quarantine period.  We elected not to do that as we figured I had already been exposed and we have a nice balcony that has been a great place for my husband to spend time.  Not sure what the isolation cabin would have been!  

That sounds like good reasoning all around. Covid is so weird! Two people can be living together in the rather small confines of a ship cabin, but one gets it and one doesn't. I'm sure the balcony helped a lot. Fresh air and sunshine are good for anything that ails you. I hope you pass your last test!

• Like 1

I’m assuming that the medical center will provide a letter from the dr stating you tested positive and did your quarantine. They did that for me and it was a good thing as we were traveling to St Lucia and needed a pcr test prior to entry.  I tested positive 2 months later but was able to travel with the recovery letter.  If they had required an antigen test it would not have been a problem but those pcr tests can show positivity for months.    I do think most countries have reduced requirements but always good to have proof. 

We have a medical record for each of us from the medical center noting our testing positive and the date.

Today we received a call from guest relations telling us to be ready to disembark at 7:30.  We then got a letter with special luggage tags saying housekeeping would get us at 7:30 and would take us to a special gangway for disembarkation before everyone else. 

The same letter advised us to arrange a hotel and transportation to the hotel to complete our isolation.  Tomorrow morning is day 5 so our isolation per US health standards will be complete.  We will need to wear a mask for the next 5 days.  (letter is clearly generic and designed not to need updating as guidelines change.)

We had planned to disembark with our luggage ourselves.  We now are at the front of the line!  Easy to get transportation to the airport before the masses on a Saturday at Port Everglades. 

1 hour ago, ksmaxey said:

We have a medical record for each of us from the medical center noting our testing positive and the date.

Today we received a call from guest relations telling us to be ready to disembark at 7:30.  We then got a letter with special luggage tags saying housekeeping would get us at 7:30 and would take us to a special gangway for disembarkation before everyone else. 

The same letter advised us to arrange a hotel and transportation to the hotel to complete our isolation.  Tomorrow morning is day 5 so our isolation per US health standards will be complete.  We will need to wear a mask for the next 5 days.  (letter is clearly generic and designed not to need updating as guidelines change.)

We had planned to disembark with our luggage ourselves.  We now are at the front of the line!  Easy to get transportation to the airport before the masses on a Saturday at Port Everglades. 

Clever ploy to be first off!

A bit elaborate, but if it works......

😁

Very glad you are better!

GC

So sorry that you have spent much of your vacation in isolation.  I hope that getting off of the ship it works out for you.  I read a fairly recent review (pretty sure it was HAL, but may have been another line) where quarantined passengers were to be picked up at 7:30, but they actually did not get released from their room until later on that morning. I am not sure what the mix-up or delay was.  Did anyone else see that?

3 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

So sorry that you have spent much of your vacation in isolation.  I hope that getting off of the ship it works out for you.  I read a fairly recent review (pretty sure it was HAL, but may have been another line) where quarantined passengers were to be picked up at 7:30, but they actually did not get released from their room until later on that morning. I am not sure what the mix-up or delay was.  Did anyone else see that?

Sounds familiar but do not remember if it was HAL or Celebrity.  I am almost thinking Celebrity but not sure.  TO OP:  Thank you for posting your experience.  Wishing you the best as you go forward.

9 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Covid passengers starting leaving today around 7:30.  Not a glamorous send off.  Here’s the gate. Good Luck

5E3D38FB-A2BF-4C2C-B005-7E27594BCA83.jpeg

4E5975AD-11E1-4E25-AD43-6EA61B1574C1.jpeg

Edited by Ipeeinthepools