Did the steakhouse menu change?

Eli_6

29 minutes ago, SSGFYCC said:

Generally yes, though I have found sometimes depending on the staff they let you get an additional side. They don't seem to be as weird about the sides as much as starters and main.

I find this amazing asking about more than one app, side or dessert, etc...I have one app and can't finish my main dish and always have to take dessert to the room (which i usually wind up throwing away).  It's incredible the amount of food people can eat!!!

My experience last couple cruises (including just a week ago):

Took wagu off menu no longer available.  

Art at the table for dessert gone too (we liked this).

Cheesecake has gone down hill - not good like it used to be

Portions small (got mushrooms as a side and there was literally 5 mushroom pieces in little pot), Potatoes were about 1/3 a cup for the service size.

Steaks were really only thing I would call "great"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SSGFYCC said:

Under the "old" steakhouse, I would agree 100%. We always took dessert to go because we were so full.

Under Carnival Fun Ship 3.0, decreased portion sizes may have some guests stopping at the lido buffet afterward. 

Yes I can definitely see how the portion sizes in the MDR and steakhouse these days would leave a lot of folks wanting for more.

15 minutes ago, SSGFYCC said:

Under the "old" steakhouse, I would agree 100%. We always took dessert to go because we were so full.

Under Carnival Fun Ship 3.0, decreased portion sizes may have some guests stopping at the lido buffet afterward. 

I would disagree with that statement - I have not found that the portions were smaller than before. I also do not judge food by quantity, but the quality is what is important to me.  

But again-food is subjective

But then again, I do not gorge myself as others.

I remember one time at the buffet a woman walked away with a pile of bacon that would have fed an entire family of 10.  I watched to see if she was bringing it to a table with several other people and it was just one other person.

Edited by hapytobehr
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, cacruisin said:

And I also believe it to be one app and one soup?????

....and don't forget dessert!!

Back "in the day" there were 4 distinct courses. Appetizer, salad/soup, entrée, and dessert. A few years ago they took out the "divider" between the appetizers and salad/soups - leaving people to believe that you had to pick an item from that whole group. But, they're more than happy to give you a couple of items from that first group - or at least that's always been my experience.

Tom

• Like 3

2 hours ago, pinklucky61 said:

I haven't done CCL Steakhouse before.  I know one entree, but do you get only one appetizer and one side?

I always get two appetizers, never been a problem. Plus two sides as well. I've been to the steak house quite a few times in 2022.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PekingeseLady said:

I always get two appetizers, never been a problem. Plus two sides as well. I've been to the steak house quite a few times in 2022.

I was just confused as many places used to always include a side salad with every meal. I usually skip dessert.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 5:26 AM, MMfan14 said:

Did the steakhouse back in October and everyone in the past posted about how large the portions were and to be honest I wasn't impressed. The portions were smaller just like what they serve now in the MDR. 

I ordered what was supposed to be the 9-oz. filet, and when it came it was maybe a 2-inch diameter steak.  Probably closer to 5-6 oz.  I was still full when I left there, but it makes you think twice about spending the extra money.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SSGFYCC said:

Last October on the Panorama I asked for the cheesecake to go because I was full.  They said because of Covid they are no longer allowed to bring it to you "to go".  The waiter then said, "But if we bring it to you and you don't eat it we can then wrap it to go".  WTH?

• Haha 1

So first hand experience on Sunrise 2 weeks ago - Two Starters / Two Sides and Dessert to go - all were fine:

My Order:

Risotto starter

Salad

Rib Eye

Potato & Mushrooms both for sides

Cheesecake to go (came out on covered plates)

Don't forget you get an amuse-bouche from the kitchen and bread to start as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, wemjam said:

So first hand experience on Sunrise 2 weeks ago - Two Starters / Two Sides and Dessert to go - all were fine:

My Order:

Risotto starter

Salad

Rib Eye

Potato & Mushrooms both for sides

Cheesecake to go (came out on covered plates)

Don't forget you get an amuse-bouche from the kitchen and bread to start as well.

How was the ribeye?  That's my go-to steak and they have always been good in the Carnival Steakhouse, but with these quality cutbacks, I'm wondering if I will be disappointed.  How did you order it cooked?  Was it cooked properly? 

3 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

How was the ribeye?  That's my go-to steak and they have always been good in the Carnival Steakhouse, but with these quality cutbacks, I'm wondering if I will be disappointed.  How did you order it cooked?  Was it cooked properly? 

Very good, I order Medium.  Cooked perfectly.

That is always my go to and never been disappointed.  I ordered Wagu once and Ribeye was better. 

Hubby gets Filet and it is usually pretty decent, but he has had better.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SSGFYCC said:

For the Carnival cruiser, this is a small/bite size appetizer that is not ordered or found on the menu. 😃

At least on our last sailing (12/22, 4-nt) they ditched some of the random (read: waste of time/not good!) ones and instead had the miniature burger each evening. Cheryl does not really care for it, so I enjoyed two each the 4 nights we were in there.

Tom

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jeafl said:

Last October on the Panorama I asked for the cheesecake to go because I was full.  They said because of Covid they are no longer allowed to bring it to you "to go".  The waiter then said, "But if we bring it to you and you don't eat it we can then wrap it to go".  WTH?

We had that happen on the Breeze in July 2021, except the waiter didn't say they could bring it to the table and then we could take it. We were on the 2nd cruise out after restart.

We are on the Dream in April, have booked the steakhouse on the first night. I am curious to see what they tell us this time around. And I hope that the cheesecake is still the good stuff and not that foamy gelatinous crap they serve on the Lido.

• Like 3

Guest BasicSailor
11 hours ago, kew1031 said:

We had that happen on the Breeze in July 2021, except the waiter didn't say they could bring it to the table and then we could take it.

They're still doing this on some ships today. I think it's just to make sure a person is not sharing the food with others.

On 1/30/2023 at 9:27 PM, pirate4me2 said:

No more wasabi mashed potatoes! I loved those!!! 😭

On 1/30/2023 at 9:49 PM, BlerkOne said:

AS I recall, the lobster bisque on the menu is listed as MAINE Lobster Bisque which would be a neat trick without MAINE lobsters, most of which are really CANADIAN, AFAIK.

Hope the French onion soup comes from the correct spot!  : )

12 hours ago, kew1031 said:

We had that happen on the Breeze in July 2021, except the waiter didn't say they could bring it to the table and then we could take it. We were on the 2nd cruise out after restart.

We are on the Dream in April, have booked the steakhouse on the first night. I am curious to see what they tell us this time around. And I hope that the cheesecake is still the good stuff and not that foamy gelatinous crap they serve on the Lido.

Just got off Sunrise 2 weeks ago and we specifically asked for it to go.  The brought both desserts with the covers on it and extra silverware for us to take it away no issues.

I will say though the cheesecake is NOT the big yummy piece it used to be pre-Covid.  It is smaller now and is completely different (has been this way over the last year we have been sailing at least).  NOT like the gelatinous stuff you see some times on the lido, but also no where near as good as it used to be.

I must say I still think (in most cases, some ships have been a let down), the best piece of cheesecake can be found in the coffee shop for a small fee.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BasicSailor said:

They're still doing this on some ships today. I think it's just to make sure a person is not sharing the food with others.

Which makes no sense at all.  It's food that we pay for.  Why should they care if we share it?  I could see if it was a buffet, but it's not. So many tings make no sense at all these days.

47 minutes ago, wemjam said:

I will say though the cheesecake is NOT the big yummy piece it used to be pre-Covid.  It is smaller now and is completely different (has been this way over the last year we have been sailing at least).  NOT like the gelatinous stuff you see some times on the lido, but also no where near as good as it used to be.

It is a little smaller, and it is different, but taste is subjective. I like it. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jeafl said:

Which makes no sense at all.  It's food that we pay for.  Why should they care if we share it?  I could see if it was a buffet, but it's not. So many tings make no sense at all these days.

I don't think it is about sharing, I think it is about waste and health concerns. I think many take food to go and then don't eat it, leaving it for others to clean up. I know I have but have stopped. The coolers in the cabin are not sufficient to keep food that needs refrigeration.

As for the already paid for argument, that doesn't work with Cheers, either.