New Crystal - the Good, the Bad and the Indifferent

claudiaYVR

16 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Personally, I think the Crystal vs (insert other cruise line name here) posts are helpful, and I like reading them from posters about whom I have some idea of their POV, as opposed to folks I don't know at all on other cruise line boards.  They've been useful to me in making rather pricey decisions about other lines.  So I think they're completely fair game to post here.  

Besides, one can easily scroll past them.  I do that with any discussion of luggage.

A very reasonable post which could reside on any cruise line board.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Personally, I think the Crystal vs (insert other cruise line name here) posts are helpful, and I like reading them from posters about whom I have some idea of their POV, as opposed to folks I don't know at all on other cruise line boards.  They've been useful to me in making rather pricey decisions about other lines.  So I think they're completely fair game to post here.  

Besides, one can easily scroll past them.  I do that with any discussion of luggage.

My view is simple. I look forward to the day and maybe that won't occur until Crystal sails again that every thread doesn't have to become a comparison to other lines when that is not the topic of the thread. I get comparisons and there are threads on various boards that specifically ask for them.  I get that.  I am talking about thread that are cruise line specific. Example, If someone starts a thread that says how many guests Serenity and Symphony have that is very specific to Crystal there is no need to hear about what another lines passenger count is. Now if someone starts a thread asking how many guests Crystal sails with and asks how that compares to other lines I get it.  

As I said, I look forward to the day where there is more normalcy on the threads as I used to see and I see across CC on all the cruise line boards.

So I won't ask for that to happen I will just hope it does when Crystal starts sailing.

And yes bags are packed and ready to go.

58 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

My view is simple. I look forward to the day and maybe that won't occur until Crystal sails again that every thread doesn't have to become a comparison to other lines when that is not the topic of the thread. I get comparisons and there are threads on various boards that specifically ask for them.  I get that.  I am talking about thread that are cruise line specific. Example, If someone starts a thread that says how many guests Serenity and Symphony have that is very specific to Crystal there is no need to hear about what another lines passenger count is. Now if someone starts a thread asking how many guests Crystal sails with and asks how that compares to other lines I get it.  

As I said, I look forward to the day where there is more normalcy on the threads as I used to see and I see across CC on all the cruise line boards.

So I won't ask for that to happen I will just hope it does when Crystal starts sailing.

And yes bags are packed and ready to go.

Threads back to normal Keith.

How very pre covid.

We all see what you are saying but there are many variations on a theme and it's only human to compare and talk about these things on a public forum.

Now if it were "Keith Critic" then .........

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Claudia, I decided to look back at your first post.

One thing that has become very clear since you started the thread is that many things of old crystal are part of new Crystal.  Several TA's received information recently about the types of enrichment which are returning, and we know that Nobu is returning and while the new Italian restaurant is not Prego it is an Italian Restaurant.  We know Tastes is returning.  In short, we will have the same number of restaurants and also have other things such as The Vintage Room.

An amazing number of crew are returning at all levels and has been estimated at around 90%. That is an amazing percentage as some crew would leave with each passing year.

Do we know everything?  No.  We will learn more before the ship sails.  We don't know all the details but it is clear some of the public rooms are being redone.

I certainly hope there are surprises. I would rather not know everything ahead of time.  

The first several sayings on each ship will be very telling of what new Crystal is like. But certainly like a great meal the ingredients look superb so far.

Keith

• Like 1

I am sure there are surprises.  I saw the cost of dinner in the Vintage Room and while I love great wine pairing dinners, that cost is beyond what we'd consider.  We did a wine event in October on Regent and it was half of the price of the Vintage Room.

• Like 1

I think we all tend to forget that if none of this had happened the Crystal of now would be different from the Crystal of 2 years ago.  The ships and the experience evolved as we would always want it to.  They will also react to what the passengers want and enjoy. 

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

In short, we will have the same number of restaurants

An amazing number of crew are returning at all levels and has been estimated at around 90%. That is an amazing percentage as some crew would leave with each passing year.

So what restaurant is replacing Churrascaria at night? I haven’t seen that announced - so without that I make the count of restaurants one short on new Crystal 

Great numbers have climbed from “some, many, most” to now an amazing number and someone has apparently estimated it at 90% - who was that and where was it stated? 90% of which category or is that across the board? - if truly across the board then that is indeed “amazing” - if it’s 90% of one or two departments then not so much. As you point out normal attrition and through changes in family values circumstances, lifestyle, retirement would tend to suggest that a 90% rate would be unlikely in an industry such as a cruise line

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Great numbers have climbed from “some, many, most” to now an amazing number and someone has apparently estimated it at 90% - who was that and where was it stated? 90% of which category or is that across the board? - if truly across the board then that is indeed “amazing” - if it’s 90% of one or two departments then not so much. As you point out normal attrition and through changes in family values circumstances, lifestyle, retirement would tend to suggest that a 90% rate would be unlikely in an industry such as a cruise line

I had a typo. Meant 80%.

This was in an interview with Cristina Levis , CEO of A&K travel group which was conducted when the new initiative was announced.

I have posted this a couple of times previously and 80% is amazing

As I I have repeatedly said many of the Crystal Crew (most is fine too and over 50% is considered a majority at least here in the States)  are returning and this number as I've said before speaks a great deal about the crew, the guests and the new Crystal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

I am sure there are surprises.  I saw the cost of dinner in the Vintage Room and while I love great wine pairing dinners, that cost is beyond what we'd consider.  We did a wine event in October on Regent and it was half of the price of the Vintage Room.

I missed this one - what is the new charge?

59 minutes ago, suzeluvscruz said:

I missed this one - what is the new charge?

It is $300 now. It was $250 in 2021, but I think it varied. I've seen some articles noting $200 or $300 over the past decade or so. Not really notable, imo.

4 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

Have you done the Vintage Room on Crystal before? It's not really just a wine paring dinner. It's served in a single table private dining room with up to 12 people and is far more decadent than the other dining venues. The wines are pretty top notch too. I'm not a wine aficionado by any means, but my dad is and has found the value pretty decent for the wine alone, and I'd compare the food to a meal of a similar price on land too, so the value isn't bad.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Embowaf said:

It is $300 now. It was $250 in 2021, but I think it varied. I've seen some articles noting $200 or $300 over the past decade or so. Not really notable, imo.

Well that's not so bad. It was a $250 minimum when we hosted a few years ago and given the state of inflation and new owners, I am pleased it isn't more! We usually do one each cruise.

Edited by suzeluvscruz
  • Like 1

We do one each cruise and I don't think we paid more than $200 pp. 

We did the Champagne Lunch last Crystal and it was $125. pp

We did a pairing lunch on Regent for $150 and it was pretty comparable to a Vintage Dinner.

On land, we just had a pairing dinner with well know chefs and it was $250. pp.

In regards to the crew returning I believe it will be a very high (80+%] 

We are currently on board the Seabourn Encore and there are several former Crystal members. Every one of them wants to return.  We have been approached by several including our room attendant and they recognized us as Crystal cruisers thus starting the conversation.  

We had a similar experience on Silversea last year.

• Like 8

Getting back to Ice Cream.  I believe this is another case (Ben & Jerry's) where new Crystal is bringing back items that guests have been asking about and/or items, they were familiar with on old Crystal.  

It doesn’t mean they will bring back everything but quite a bit from what we have seen announced or in Q&A’s and other areas of the website such as under dining in this case.

Keith

8 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

I always wear a Crystal T-shirt on competing lines and used to wear my SS T-shirt on Crystal.   Interesting way to start conversations.  On our last Seabourn cruise we had a number of waiters come up to us and talk.  Many were interested in returning.  Seabourn has short 3 month employment contracts so you might see these return first.  Other lines lock employees to 6 or even 9 month contracts.

Not wanting to hi-jack the thread (but will) -- how is the food and service on Encore as we and @bitob sail in less than 3 weeks.

The entire cruise has been great, almost as good as Crystal.  The food overall has been excellent!  The only complaint we have relates to baked goods and cakes being very dry and somewhat tasteless.  We avoid these anyway but something we noticed. The Earth and Ocean venue is great and packed every evening.  

We are really impressed with the entertainment.  We have a very good bridge instructor and five to six tables.  Unfortunately he will be leaving in Athens.

We were on Encore recently  and because you asked we will stay on topic so we do not get a note of reprimand. A couple of the waiters, who were the best by far, recognized us as Crystal types. The service was good, particularly from our two room attendants.

Food was hit and miss, sometimes decent other times very poor. The quality of beef and pork in TK was awful, tough, lacked flavourful and had what I term a 'mealy' texture. In the restaurant meals were hit and miss. Jack was excellent as the waiter for his section.

1 hour ago, TRIPACIAN said:

The entire cruise has been great, almost as good as Crystal.  The food overall has been excellent!  The only complaint we have relates to baked goods and cakes being very dry and somewhat tasteless.  We avoid these anyway but something we noticed. The Earth and Ocean venue is great and packed every evening.  

We are really impressed with the entertainment.  We have a very good bridge instructor and five to six tables.  Unfortunately he will be leaving in Athens.

Did you try the grandma cake in seabourn square?  My favorite

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, TRIPACIAN said:

I hope you feel comfortable naming the bridge instructor. I am always excited to hear that the bridge person is well-received.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, May B said:

I hope you feel comfortable naming the bridge instructor. I am always excited to hear that the bridge person is well-received.

Patrick and Penny Kallaus from Hawaii.  I asked his permission to use his name.

• Thanks 1

The biggest surprise for me was not a good one. New Crystal is only allowing triple occupancy in Sapphire level suites and above. We have a kid who loves Crystal. Not willing to shell out the bucks for a large suite while new Crystal is unknown. I refunded my advance deposits since I'm not booking anything on Crystal any time soon.

• Like 1