Best place for lunch on embarkation day?

J80crew

We will boarding Sea in San Juan next week for our first Viking cruise. I’d love to hear from Viking enthusiasts where you head for lunch on embarkation. Also, in addition to making restaurant reservations and exploring the ship, any suggestions for the first afternoon?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, J80crew said:

We will boarding Sea in San Juan next week for our first Viking cruise. I’d love to hear from Viking enthusiasts where you head for lunch on embarkation. Also, in addition to making restaurant reservations and exploring the ship, any suggestions for the first afternoon?

We always head to the Pool Grill.  Love their philly cheesesteak and salads.  We board in San Juan next month for the transatlantic to Barcelona.  We can hardly wait.  🙂🙂

• Like 2

We are currently on the Sea, having left from San Juan on Monday.  We arrived to board just after 11:00 am and there already was a lengthy line waiting to embark.  After a short safety review we headed to the World Cafe for lunch which we enjoyed outside on the Aquavit Terrace.  We were happy to hear that our Cabin was available 1/2 hour prior to the expected time.  There were a couple of scheduled tours for first-timers that afternoon to familiarize yourself with the ship.  The crew are fantastic.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

After the mandatory safety review, we always go to the World Cafe when we board. Pool grill is another option. BTW you can take your food from the pool into the WC, which is right next door. Lots of seating and desserts! If our room isn’t ready we stroll around the ship, sports deck, promenade deck, etc.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

Our tradition is to try to board at 11 AM.  Do the safety briefing.  Then head to the World Cafe.  If it is nice weather out (like we had in Ft Lauderdale and also San Juan), we can eat outside.   Tradition on Viking is that they always serve the best salmon, always, at embarkation lunch.  One of our favorites!

2nd choice is the Pool Grill, which we've also done.

875537967_IMG_0817Salmon.thumb.JPG.5fd69afc1ac5b661c3868a6af3a970a4.JPG

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, J80crew said:

Us too!  Although our flight doesn’t land until 2pm-ish, so I think we’re going to miss lunch.  Or does anyone know if there will still be food available later in the afternoon?

6 hours ago, EchoIsland said:

There were a couple of scheduled tours for first-timers that afternoon to familiarize yourself with the ship.

Do you remember when those were and where you signed up?

10 hours ago, bookbabe said:

Us too!  Although our flight doesn’t land until 2pm-ish, so I think we’re going to miss lunch.  Or does anyone know if there will still be food available later in the afternoon?

Pool Grill is usually open until 4 or 5. Mamsen’s also has some food but not sure how late they stay open.  The Living Room case will also have some goodies. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bookbabe said:

Here was the embarkation day schedule on the Sky from our Jan 17th cruise.772613F0-C59D-43DF-A5CF-3E329E1C9493.thumb.jpeg.d8851f09cbba45579fe770d773894773.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thanks, everyone. It’s great to be part of a community that is so generous with their knowledge, experience, and help. I’m excited to see how Viking compares to Oceania and my favorite, Crystal (at least in its former iteration). 

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

That PDF is old and does not reflect the current pricing I experienced last week on the Sky

I expect so. But it's the one in MVJ right now. Annoying. Can you update the price of a glass of Drappier champagne please?  Actually just saw they are no longer offering it by 15 cl glass. Nice enhancement. 😠

Edited by Pushka

21 hours ago, bookbabe said:

There were two walking tours of the Sea, at 2:00 & 3:00 pm.  Register at Guest Services.  We did not do the tours as we have previously sailed with Viking Ocean.  

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Pushka said:

We embark in Mumbai where it will be warm. I think the Pool Grill will work for us too. If only we can drop off the hand luggage. We are on Deck1 but not in the super duper cabins. 😂

28 minutes ago, Pushka said:

We embark in Mumbai where it will be warm. I think the Pool Grill will work for us too. If only we can drop off the hand luggage. We are on Deck1 but not in the super duper cabins. 😂

There are no staterooms (at least for paying Guests) on Deck 1

E320F5A6-8CA2-4A0E-A837-A31D8B95CDC1.jpeg

• Haha 1

I always eat lunch at a nice restaurant on land, then wonder over to the ship when the lines for embarkation are gone.  My Cabin is always ready, my luggage is in the cabin, no carting my carry on around. You are going to eat on the ship for 7, 14 or however many days your cruise is.   You may or may not return to the port you are sailing from; therefore, you may never have another chance to eat a great local meal. 

Everybody has different tastes, so I am not being judgmental here, just pointing out another option.

• Like 7