Best place for lunch on embarkation day?

J80crew

On 2/2/2023 at 9:16 PM, bookbabe said:

Or does anyone know if there will still be food available later in the afternoon?

YES! • Order from room service (24/7, no charge) • There are sandwich in the Living Room Bar from 11 am till dinner time (and always an assortment of cookies) -- and the same in Mamsen (Explorer's Lounge) but on a slightly different schedule. • Tea at 4pm in Wintergarden

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

It is Friday🤔 perhaps a few too many?🍸🍺🥃🍷🥂

😂

Saturday morning here. I'll grant a hangover. But really, just old age. 🤭

So our embarkation day is part way through a much longer cruise starting two weeks prior. There aren't any excursions offered that day (some are disembarking, we are embarking, and some are staying through for longer cruise) and it is an overnight stay for us. Will this make any difference to arrangements? Maybe we will get our luggage quicker as there's some already onboard. 

Edited by Pushka

10 hours ago, Pushka said:

Maybe we will get our luggage quicker as there's some already onboard. 

The fewer cabins embarking the faster you will get your luggage -- and the faster you will be able to embark (which won't happen until the the traffic on the gangway (departing pax + shorex goers) clears around 10 am).

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2023 at 2:08 PM, millybess said:

But sadly no pistachio buns.😢

Having read about the pistachio buns somewhere in the 76 pages of "Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers," inquiring minds want to know--what has happened to them?  Are they gone for good?  Or just a morning offering?

1 minute ago, loriva said:

Having read about the pistachio buns somewhere in the 76 pages of "Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers," inquiring minds want to know--what has happened to them?  Are they gone for good?  Or just a morning offering?

The last few reports from recent cruisers have indicated that there are no pistachio buns to be found.  On our last cruise this past May, I was able to find one on the first morning, but never again after that.  

We cruise again next month and I'll be looking for them!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, millybess said:

The last few reports from recent cruisers have indicated that there are no pistachio buns to be found.  On our last cruise this past May, I was able to find one on the first morning, but never again after that.  

We cruise again next month and I'll be looking for them!!

It seems to be based on the ship/itinerary. I never saw any on the Sky last month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2023 at 7:12 AM, Clay Clayton said:

The Living Room case will also have some goodies. 

Hi Clay - fyi 

My experience with savory appetizers in phyllo dough and others from the Living Room glass case was not positive on Viking Mars British Isles Explorer last September.   They all seemed several days old.  1 bite put them in the "not worth the calories" category.

Maybe the Living Rooms sweets would have been better.  

Enjoyed many items at World Cafe, especially the Russian Medovik cake... WOW. 

Edited by SempreMare

8 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

Hi Clay - fyi 

My experience with savory appetizers in phyllo dough and others from the Living Room glass case was not positive on Viking Mars British Isles Explorer last September.   They all seemed several days old.  1 bite put them in the "not worth the calories" category.

Maybe the Living Rooms sweets would have been better.  

Enjoyed many items at World Cafe, especially the Russian Medovik cake... WOW. 

I don’t disagree with you about the drinks snacks but I love the pistachio raisin bun (apparently MIA on current cruises😢) and others rave about the almond (or maybe it’s the chocolate) croissants.  I also seem to recall one of the open faced sandwiches being tasty. 

13 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I don’t disagree with you about the drinks snacks but I love the pistachio raisin bun (apparently MIA on current cruises😢) and others rave about the almond (or maybe it’s the chocolate) croissants.  I also seem to recall one of the open faced sandwiches being tasty. 

OMG, don't get me started on the Almond Croissants!  I would write them in on my morning room service order form..... so flaky and loaded with Almonds ...  Oh, great, now I'm dying for one and have to wait for my May Empires of the Med cruise!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/2/2023 at 2:45 PM, millybess said:

We always head to the Pool Grill.  Love their philly cheesesteak and salads.  We board in San Juan next month for the transatlantic to Barcelona.  We can hardly wait.  🙂🙂

we are on that as well...and from toronto too....

10 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

we are on that as well...and from toronto too....

That's great!  Have you joined the Roll Call?

How are you getting to San Juan?  We have a lot of credits to use up with a certain airline with the initials  "AT" 🙂, but they cancelled our flight.  So now we are flying to FLL with them and staying over and then on to San Juan with JetBlue.

4 hours ago, millybess said:

A cheesesteak is a sandwich made from thinly sliced pieces of beefsteak and melted cheese in a long hoagie roll. I get it with mushrooms.  It's really lovely.

image.png

Thanks. My favourite kind of roll. Warm meat. Melted cheese. Yum. 

7 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Thanks. My favourite kind of roll. Warm meat. Melted cheese. Yum. 

The bun is far from low carb, but I allow myself one of these on the first day (and maybe several other days; and then maybe some ice cream too 😇) and then I workout like crazy when I get home.  The problem this time is that it is only about 7 weeks between our cruise on Sea in March and then back on Sea in May.  That's a lot of sweating lol..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/5/2023 at 10:55 AM, BlairsvilleCruiseGirl said:

...Almond Croissants!  I would write them in on my morning room service order form..... so flaky and loaded with Almonds 

Dang.  Clever! 

I didn't consider writing something in on the morning room service order form...

:: I shall be less straight laced on Viking Homelands ::

• Like 2

12 hours ago, millybess said:

The bun is far from low carb, but I allow myself one of these on the first day (and maybe several other days; and then maybe some ice cream too 😇) and then I workout like crazy when I get home.  The problem this time is that it is only about 7 weeks between our cruise on Sea in March and then back on Sea in May.  That's a lot of sweating lol..

I was getting a burger at the Pool Grill and the lady behind me ordered a cheesesteak minus the bread. I have never heard anyone order that before but it sounds good. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Dang.  Clever! 

I didn't consider writing something in on the morning room service order form...

:: I shall be less straight laced on Viking Homelands ::

Yes!  

I remember being disappointed that the only room service choices for an omelette were with cheese or without.  Then someone told me they wrote in - please add the following to my omelette and listed a number of ingredients like mushrooms, tomatoes, sausage, etc etc.  So I tired it and voila - they did it!

I also have to remember to think outside the box, so to speak !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, millybess said:

That's great!  Have you joined the Roll Call?

How are you getting to San Juan?  We have a lot of credits to use up with a certain airline with the initials  "AT" 🙂, but they cancelled our flight.  So now we are flying to FLL with them and staying over and then on to San Juan with JetBlue.

yes I am on roll call.....flying with V, using AC, flying on the day of the cruise, a 6:15 flight....into FLL....