Will the higher prices per fare and unpopular changes in the MDR have you considering changing lines?

4 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

We did a cruise out of Seattle, and our ‘meaningful experience’ required far less than 8 hours

In Seattle?  As someone who has lived there, I can say that taking in the city requires more than 8 hours.  But perhaps by "meaningful" you mean "surface-level."

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

It seems to me with a cruise you can go for a day and then decide if you want to go back and spend more time there.

I think that's a great way to view cruises/excursions.  It's also why cruising will never be the only form of travel for a lot of people.

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

It seems to me with a cruise you can go for a day and then decide if you want to go back and spend more time there.

I do this a lot. I do about 5 land vacations for every 1 cruise I take, and several of those land vacations have been to places that I went on a cruise and thought would be fun to spend more time in.  

1 hour ago, baelor said:

In Seattle?  As someone who has lived there, I can say that taking in the city requires more than 8 hours.  But perhaps by "meaningful" you mean "surface-level."

I get what you're saying but I have only so many days (and vacation days) in this lifetime.  If I had to spend a meaningful (which is subjective to each person) amount of time at all the cruise destinations we've been to, I wouldn't have enough time (and possibly funds) to do so.  Cruising can give you a high level, or the opposite, myopic, view of your destination but in many cases that's enough for me.  We're just looking to have fun, learn and explore.  The ship provides an amazing way to do so by providing excellent lodging, meals, and entertainment along the way.

Our favorite type of excursion are the full day island tours.  It gives us a good enough overview. When I hear a particular island or port I can picture it fairly well in my minds eye from first hand experience.  That's good enough for me in many cases.

There are places that I wouldn't use a cruise for like you mentioned.  Rome, Venice, etc... are examples, but even so it still sounds like a blast to cruise the Mediterranean.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I get what you're saying but I have only so many days (and vacation days) in this lifetime.  If I had to spend a meaningful (which is subjective to each person) amount of time at all the cruise destinations we've been to, I wouldn't have enough time (and possibly funds) to do so.  Cruising can give you a high level, or the opposite, myopic, view of your destination but in many cases that's enough for me.  We're just looking to have fun, learn and explore.  The ship provides an amazing way to do so by providing excellent lodging, meals, and entertainment along the way.

Our favorite type of excursion are the full day island tours.  It gives us a good enough overview. When I hear a particular island or port I can picture it fairly well in my minds eye from first hand experience.  That's good enough for me in many cases.

There are places that I wouldn't use a cruise for like you mentioned.  Rome, Venice, etc... are examples, but even so it still sounds like a blast to cruise the Mediterranean.

I don't particularly disagree with anything in this comment.

Edited by baelor
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2023 at 5:47 PM, firefly333 said:

I went the first leg of b2b. They forgot about our table. People seated later were on their dessert. Finally came after a hour. Not sure the cut of meat but every bite was all grizzle.  Couldnt eat it. Lady next to me said her fish was dry. The appetizer and dessert not worth going. .. maybe if you are a wine drinker. It wasnt a good cut like Mdr strip. Big but not good. I didnt go 2nd leg. Wasnt good. Allure.

Idk but I heard pinnacles have a better menu. 

This was on the Odyssey last week for the Pinns. I only ate about 1/4 of the strip steak. It was very gristly. Lady next to me also wouldn’t eat hers. Most others around us ordered the risotto or the chicken. I think they were on to something.

361EF26A-A63A-49D1-9E79-625756B04B59.thumb.jpeg.85ba4c09974a478a64d74a1b80f569cc.jpeg

B1DCEF81-11FE-4467-9247-3B1CBBCFCC35.thumb.jpeg.eb0676ef3fe3b14787c92a20dd42e0c5.jpeg

Won't be changing lines. As all lines experience issues now.

Royal gives us great choices from Northeast (NJ, Baltimore, Boston) without flying.

We are now D+ so some added benefits.

Honestly we enjoyed 9 cruises since restart... Unless something goes really bad we will have 5 a year with Royal.

Royal, please do not replace Anthem with Odyssey!!!

On 2/5/2023 at 3:34 PM, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

Hubby and I have always loved Royal.  It was perfect for us.  Just like other cruise lines, they seem to be cutting corners all over and lowering the quality of food.  It has hubby and I considering changing to another more expensive (or less expensive) line to get more value and a better experience?

The MDR menu changes really have me concerned.  

Anyone else?

Corners are being cut everywhere.  Airlines, hotels and food services. It's sort of like complaining about the weather. There are deals out there if you don't mind going on the less expensive trips and getting the Surprise Surprise mystery experiences! 

38 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

This was on the Odyssey last week for the Pinns. I only ate about 1/4 of the strip steak. It was very gristly. Lady next to me also wouldn’t eat hers. Most others around us ordered the risotto or the chicken. I think they were on to something.

B1DCEF81-11FE-4467-9247-3B1CBBCFCC35.thumb.jpeg.eb0676ef3fe3b14787c92a20dd42e0c5.jpeg

That looks like a salisbury steak from a Swanson TV dinner.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

On 2/20/2023 at 6:42 PM, fredmdcruisers said:

Oh, I understand. IMHO you should have specifically asked for a steak on a clean plate. You accepted what they offered without insisting that the understand your situation. 

I did ask for a steak plain without any sides.  Didn't find out until I had a reaction that they just took the seafood off the plate.  I spoke to the waiter, head waiter etc. about the problem.  They said they understood.  

On 2/21/2023 at 12:49 PM, fredmdcruisers said:

If something I am about to eat could kill me, you better believe that I'm going to know how it was prepared. Its no one else's responsibility. 

Unfortunately we are not allowed in the kitchen to see how our food is prepared.  I have over 50 cruises and only had this issue twice with RC.  Had it many times with Celebrity and won't cruise with them again.

On 2/21/2023 at 8:25 PM, jencruzin said:

You shouldnt be sailing because of food close proximities....are you aware that, even if your steak sat alone, they stack the loaded plates, regardless? Your steak might have touched another plate with shrimp.

Each plate is covered so the chance of that happening is almost zero.

"Will the higher prices per fare and unpopular changes in the MDR have you considering changing lines?"

Nope, not us. We're getting up there in age and really enjoy just being on the ship and relaxing. Cost is similar to AI land vacations and a big plus is cruising to different locations and enjoying various sceneries. We'll cruise as long as we are able, and will probably stick with RCCL and Celebrity going forward! Cheers!

1 hour ago, Ryder101 said:

Yes. Disney has much better quality. Never had a bad meal. Never went to guests services. No need to. Never a problem. Ever. Not even sure where it is. LOL.

Understandable when you're paying roughly double the price.

We have multiple sets of friends that, after multiple Disney cruises,  swore them off because the value just isn't there for them.  Once their kids tried Royal Caribbean and NCL they never looked back.  Disney is a great cruise line but you're paying for it (and I particularly don't like their ship layouts)

• Like 1