MSC - typical age demographic

C4HCG

21 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Honestly have no clue as we only cruise in the YC when on MSC.  Outside the YC we think the line is more akin to Carnival or perhaps RCI which is no longer our "cup of tea."

Well, if you are comparing apples to apples, then you should be comparing to the Retreat experience on Celebrity, which still includes free room service.

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

Well, if you are comparing apples to apples, then you should be comparing to the Retreat experience on Celebrity, which still includes free room service.

Sailed YC Jan 22nd for 7 days on Meraviglia....all I can say it wow...I know it's coming to NY this summer...if you get the right deal, check it out.  You would enjoy for sure.  

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Perhaps.  But consider our most recent MSC cruise (2 weeks in the Caribbean) cost us about $365 per person/day for a Deluxe YC Suite (this is an outside suite with a nice balcony).  And that is all-inclusive of premium drinks, Internet, food (no add-ons), and even tips (we get enough OBC from our cruise agent to cover that).  Now compare that to the lowest cost Retreat Suite with drinks, tips and Internet. A quick look, using one of my favored discount cruise agencies has an Apex Sky Suite (lowest cost available Retreat cabin) costing about $800 per passenger day plus one would need to pay extra to upgrade to the premium drink package.    That is MORE THAN TWICE the cost of MSC's Yacht Club.   And yes, I guess for twice the price (compared to the YC) Celebrity might give you free room service....at least this week.

Do not get me wrong.  We have no problem cruising on X (we have been Elite Plus for many years) but simply do not think that X is price-competitive with much of its competition.

My goodness, we do not even pay $800 per person day for most of Seabourn Cruises.  And in its best day, Celebrity is no Seabourn.

Hank

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

As someone who hates children (sorry, I just do), I am curious about this as well. MSC's "kids sale free" promos have me worried the ships will be overrun with kids. I too have really enjoyed the scarcity of children on Celebrity. I am booked on the Meraviglia for two sailings in April. The first is an 11-day repositioning cruise, so I am hopeful the length and itinerary will mean fewer kids. The second sailing is the first 7-day out of NYC. I am just really hoping that since it's after Easter, and therefor after most kids' Spring Break, there won't be too many children onboard.

If my Facebook group for my upcoming cruise is any indication, MCS cruisers on Mera seem to think taking your kids out of school for a cruise is perfectly normal.  It seems to be a common thing that I find odd. Good luck!! 

5 hours ago, CruisingNole said:

MSC is the cheapest cruise line one could take. Parents with children are typically on a budget. Which cruise line do you think a low to middle-income family would choose…the cheap one or the more expensive one? It’s kind of a no-brainer.

With the constant “kids sail free” promo,  your comments ring true…

On 2/8/2023 at 2:19 PM, JamieLogical said:

As someone who hates children (sorry, I just do), I am curious about this as well. MSC's "kids sale free" promos have me worried the ships will be overrun with kids. I too have really enjoyed the scarcity of children on Celebrity. I am booked on the Meraviglia for two sailings in April. The first is an 11-day repositioning cruise, so I am hopeful the length and itinerary will mean fewer kids. The second sailing is the first 7-day out of NYC. I am just really hoping that since it's after Easter, and therefor after most kids' Spring Break, there won't be too many children onboard.

Repositioning cruises usually have very few kids aboard. Once on a Brasil to Portugal transatlantic I had some 10 little ones aboard, if that many, mostly on the 3-6 years old range, and no teens. Surprisingly that didn't translate to an ageing crowd aboard. Most of the passengers were couples on their 40-60 range, with rare oldsters on the mix and an interesting amount of younger couples on their honeymoon or without kids.

The first 7 nights NY cruise will likely to have a stronger kids presence, bearing in mind that here in Europe there are some countries or regions where there is a 2 week Easter break, like here from where I live where it is Holly week and the week after, and that commands for a good holiday opportunity for many, but that wouldn't be my main concern. I usually tend to avoid those cruises because industry wise, the first sailing of a new itinerary is always prone to some bugs while the crew, port's authorities an other external service providers like shore excursion operators are just adjusting one another to the new schedule, and the internal ship service is being adjusted itself. Pro tip: Adjust your expectations accordingly, please.

On 2/8/2023 at 9:00 PM, L1211 said:

If my Facebook group for my upcoming cruise is any indication, MCS cruisers on Mera seem to think taking your kids out of school for a cruise is perfectly normal.  It seems to be a common thing that I find odd. Good luck!! 

As a retired teacher, I continue to be shocked at parents who have no problem with their kids missing a week of school. For those trying to avoid kids, this tendency makes strategizing difficult. Spring break is all year. BTW, those are usually the kids who can't afford to miss a day. Please don't waste your time telling me about your prodigy..😁

9 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

As a retired teacher, I continue to be shocked at parents who have no problem with their kids missing a week of school. For those trying to avoid kids, this tendency makes strategizing difficult. Spring break is all year. BTW, those are usually the kids who can't afford to miss a day. Please don't waste your time telling me about your prodigy..😁

So the week we had our kids do a trip to Seattle to see Space Needle and Market, then to Vancouver, then to Astoria, then to see Lewis and Clark trail in Oregon and camp, then to see a beach in Oregon where high school was doing gym on beach, then to San Fran to see Chinatown, Wharf, Alcatraz I highly doubt they'd learned or experienced that much in one week whether gifted or challenged.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

We often took our kids out of school for a week, right at the end of the summer term. That week was wind down week big style at school so they missed absolutely nothing educationally. But understand your point, there isn’t a week when some kids won’t be on holiday term time included.  We’re sticking with Celebrity anyway as we know through experience no problem on those ships, seems MSC has a higher number.

Edited by C4HCG
  • Like 1

Thanks to Covid and remote learning plus the free internet connected devices given to students parents have no issue taking their kids out of school during the semester.

Teacher can give the kid list of the covered topics and homework assignments for them to work on while on vacation.

Going after the school breaks is no longer a way to avoid children, avoid the mass during winter/spring recess sure.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 3:19 PM, JamieLogical said:

And in april are school holidays in europe. So there will be some european families on the Repocruise. We will also travel with our teens this 11 days to NY.
Sorry, but when you don't like kids so you have to chose a adults only cruise line and not MSC.

We travel always in YC otherwise we don't like MSC, to many long lines and to slow bar service in the regular bars and restaurants.

Very intriguing the activities listed on MSC with many dancing opportunities. Fitness activities too! Live music. If we’re busy we can put up with kids! Cigarette smoke not!  Decent food and service but live bands and dancing opportunities we live for.