This appeared under our cabin door at 9:20pm

marne-c

I guess you will be awake at 4am.  It could be worst, they could ask you to leave your room and go to muster station. LOL  But seriously, why 4:00AM.

Edited by DHP1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

Yes, this is common. 

We aren't the most experienced cruisers but we do have 196 days at sea from 16 Princess cruises. I have never seen this on any of my cruises with Princess.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Musky Ike said:

4:00 AM what a great time to test something that makes noise.😒

20 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

I guess you will be awake at 4am.  It could be worst, they could ask you to leave your room and go to muster station. LOL  But seriously, why 4:00AM.

Would you prefer during daylight hours when you might be walking about the ship? Would you prefer to have doors suddenly being closed in front of you so you couldn't get to the buffet as quickly as you wanted? 4:00AM will disrupt far fewer people's movements about the ship. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

We aren't the most experienced cruisers but we do have 196 days at sea from 16 Princess cruises. I have never seen this on any of my cruises with Princess.

while we’ve been on ship quite a few more days, we’ve had this 8 or 9 times. (I even verified it with the wife) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

My understanding is that they have to test them every x number of days.  I have seen them tested on turn around days once everyone is off ship.  My understanding is that the Sapphire is doing fairly long segments and they probably needed to do it and this is the best time.  There is a tone that goes off when the doors are closing but not really that loud (kind of like a truck back up alarm).

1 hour ago, neverbeenhere said:

while we’ve been on ship quite a few more days, we’ve had this 8 or 9 times. (I even verified it with the wife) 

I don't doubt it happens. After all, the OP posted a picture of the announcement. I'm just surprised we haven't ever received a notice of that sort.

8 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

Would you prefer during daylight hours when you might be walking about the ship? Would you prefer to have doors suddenly being closed in front of you so you couldn't get to the buffet as quickly as you wanted? 4:00AM will disrupt far fewer people's movements about the ship. 

Port day when most passengers are off the ship would be good!

This is usually when crew drills and other emergency procedures are tested.

I have come back from a port early, and found track lights on.

Crew lined up throughout the ship, with life jackets on.

All cabins marked then they have been check for empty.

etc.

Once on HAL, they were doing some test that disabled all the elevators.

Quite annoying to the people in the elevators at the time.

Clearly Princess doesn't have a lock on good planning.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Thrak said:

For us, 16 cruises and 135 days on Princess, out of 41 total cruises.  We've never seen this either.

--Marne

Edited by marne-c

10 hours ago, that said:

How was the test?

I heard nothing and did not wake up.  But then, I've been notorious for decades for not hearing or waking up when the fire department came to our house with lights and sirens at 3am, and proceeded to extinguish with ladders and hoses the fire in our front yard from an exploded and flaming electric utility transformer.

My wife, who definitely is a light sleeper, also heard nothing and did not wake up.  (She woke up when the fire truck was inbound but still blocks away...)

--Marne

Edited by marne-c
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

It’s only my “opinion” on the subject. Don’t need to over kill people opinions or before you know it people won’t write in. 

• Like 1

Since they were doing it in the middle of the night, my guess is they just wanted to notify everyone in case anyone heard anything, but they didn’t expect much noise to actually occur. It’s very good to hear that you were not woken up. I too have never experienced this, but I’m not surprised as I know they have to do many routine tests and maintenance on everything. 

Hey, what’s wrong with notice at 9:20 pm on a party barge like Princess? That’s so early! Princess passengers are reputed to be hard core party animals, rocking the ship and staying up late. Heck, I’m sure the majority of passengers wouldn’t even be headed to their staterooms for hours at that time.😉

Edited by tipofthehook