NCL cruise with overnight stay in port

delalmario

Has anyone gone on a cruise with an overnight stay in port?  I'm curious as to what their policy is.  Our ship will be docked overnight in Florence, Italy.  I wanted to know if passengers can come back aboard at any time, or even on the second day prior to the ship's departure.  Thanks!

Hi, whenever we have had overnight stays,

we have been able to stay out as late as you’d like. The all aboard time time is always posted. I’m headed on a cruise next week with an overnight in Orlando and I know others have booked Disney hotel for that night. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mlake09 said:

Hi, whenever we have had overnight stays,

we have been able to stay out as late as you’d like. The all aboard time time is always posted. I’m headed on a cruise next week with an overnight in Orlando and I know others have booked Disney hotel for that night. Hope this helps!

Thanks!

25 minutes ago, delalmario said:

Has anyone gone on a cruise with an overnight stay in port?  I'm curious as to what their policy is.  Our ship will be docked overnight in Florence, Italy.  I wanted to know if passengers can come back aboard at any time, or even on the second day prior to the ship's departure.  Thanks!

You can come and go as many times as you like, day or night. The gangway/security is open 24/7 as long as the ship is in port.

We do the Boston-Bermuda run usually a couple times a year. There are always a few folks, sometimes more, who disembark with a set of golf clubs and small suitcase. They stay over  a couple nights at or near one of Bermuda's fine courses, and get three days of golf in. They then make it back in time for embarkation.

• Like 3

On 2/10/2023 at 10:17 PM, delalmario said:

Like others have posted before me, when the itinerary has an overnight stay in port, the ship will simply be your "hotel" for the night.

We had an overnight in St Petersburg a few years ago...had a private tour take us around the city at night, which was spectacular, and ended up doing vodka shots and eating caviar in a bar with locals. It was a night to remember and we got back to the ship around 1am to one sleepy immigration agent to check us back into the port. That 6am wake up call came way too early but we had another 10 hour tour starting at 7am!

I am looking at a cruise with an overnight in Florence and if I do it, will get a hotel room in Florence or somewhere else nearby instead of going back and forth to the ship.

• Like 1

Before leaving the ship to go ashore, especially if you might be staying in "town" overnight and plan to return ahead of and certainly in time for the all-abroad cutoff, always and remember to check ship time & local time, smartphone/iPhone sometimes do "not" always correct sync. especially if you are flipping on & off "Airplane Mode".  Most importantly, have the contact info of NCL's designated port agent info - name, email & contact/mobile #'s to call or get in touch in case of emergencies, etc.  On "rare" occasion, ship has to sail or depart early due to weather or other unplanned, unexpected events - and you don't want to be out of touch.

Have a working mobile/cellular number with you that can travel, roaming & receive incoming calls and/or text messaging - is very important nowadays.  We have at least 1 global or international line, with services in 220 countries - Google Fi coverage is plain excellent ... check your own carrier's coverage, extra/add-on costs, for peace-of-mind. 

• Like 1

Be very careful with what NCL is advertising as an "OVERNIGHT".   We have been on cruises when leaving after an "OVERNIGHT" has been at 12.30am or 3am or 6am.   In those cases, if you are staying out VERY late, just check that the port gates will be open!!

Richards Bay in South Africa was a prime case, OVERNIGHT leaving at 5am BUT the port was shut down at  8pm or 9pm.

• Like 2

Assuming we are talking about Livorno, it is a massive (seriously!) industrial port. If your goal is to come back to the ship late at night, have a plan on how you are going to get to the ship itself. 

oh, and I’ll add to the love for Lucca. 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2023 at 7:30 PM, wcook said:

Assuming we are talking about Livorno, it is a massive (seriously!) industrial port. If your goal is to come back to the ship late at night, have a plan on how you are going to get to the ship itself. 

oh, and I’ll add to the love for Lucca. 

Thanks!  It is Livorno and it is quite the distance from Florence.  

On 2/11/2023 at 6:29 PM, casofilia said:

Be very careful with what NCL is advertising as an "OVERNIGHT".   We have been on cruises when leaving after an "OVERNIGHT" has been at 12.30am or 3am or 6am.   In those cases, if you are staying out VERY late, just check that the port gates will be open!!

Richards Bay in South Africa was a prime case, OVERNIGHT leaving at 5am BUT the port was shut down at  8pm or 9pm.

Thanks!  Good advice.

I was on a Bermuda cruise that had 2 overnights. We had to leave early the third morning instead of later that afternoon as scheduled because a storm was coming. The captain announced it the night before. I always wondered how they contacted the people that were staying off of the ship.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We once had an overnight in St. Thomas due to a cancelled stop in Tortola. Due to crime in the area, all passengers had to be back on board before sundown on the first day. We were then able to disembark again in the morning once the gangways opened. This was the first time that we were not able to come and go as we pleased during an overnight port stay.

You may want to ask this question in the appropriate port of call board to see if you can find more detailed guidance for your specific port.

• Like 1

I’m looking at a cruise where the last port is Reykjavik and we disembark the next day in Reykjavik, seems odd to overnight in the last port/disembarking port? It’s the middle of summer, which won’t be good for northern lights but it was my only thought why they would do this? Anyhow, curious how that works… we can get off and see the town come back to the ship to sleep and get off again in the morning with our luggage.

3 hours ago, Kierste said:

I’m looking at a cruise where the last port is Reykjavik and we disembark the next day in Reykjavik, seems odd to overnight in the last port/disembarking port? It’s the middle of summer, which won’t be good for northern lights but it was my only thought why they would do this? Anyhow, curious how that works… we can get off and see the town come back to the ship to sleep and get off again in the morning with our luggage.

Right, you do not have to stay a day afterwards if there are things you want to see.

We are on one of those cruises. We have previously been to Reykjavik on a land trip. DW says we did not get to the Blue Lagoon last time, and now would be our chance to do so.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 4:17 PM, delalmario said:

My Only experience has been in Bermuda, a few times. Usually Wednesday Morning through Friday afternoon. Someone posted about unexpected departures due to weather or other emergency, they make a good point. I have to admit I don't stay out in ports very late, and never even considered staying at a hotel ashore. I am cheap and if I am paying thousands of dollars for a cruise, I won't also pay for a hotel, I usually try to eat as often as I can on the ship. I guess I might miss out of full cultural immersion, but I feel the most comfortable on the ship, where there are more health standards, and it is paid for. .

• Like 2

we were on one of the 1st southeast asia cruises offered by ncl. there was an overnight in bancock. my friend was sailing with her daughter, granddaughter and son. they booked a hotel for the night and got back onboard the next morningwith no problems

• Like 1