Do things start disappearing near end of cruise?

roadster08

I sailed on Celebrity a few years ago and  noticed that things started to close down as we got closer to the end of the cruise. For example, the self serve soft serve ice cream was no longer refilled and the morning juices were not available in all the dispensers anymore, etc.

For those of you who have sailed recently on Princess, did you notice similar things happening towards the end of your cruise?

Edited by roadster08
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, roadster08 said:

I sailed on Celebrity a few years ago and  noticed that things started to close down as we got closer to the end of the cruise. For example, the self serve soft serve ice cream was no longer refilled and the morning juices were not available in all the dispensers anymore, etc.

For those of you who have sailed recently on Princess, did you notice similar things happening towards the end of your cruise?

The only things I have seen going away late in a cruise are certain liquors and wines. Service stays strong on all the 47 cruises I have taken

8 minutes ago, roadster08 said:

No

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, roadster08 said:

For example, the self serve soft serve ice cream was no longer refilled and the morning juices were not available in all the dispensers anymore, etc.

I have this feeling that they were running out of inventory.  Considering that a ship is resupplied at every port in which there is passenger turn, there is no reason to meter out things like ice cream or juice as you will be restocked on turn day.  You use your inventory until it is gone.

In all the years I've been on Princess I've never seen things "shut down" as the cruise comes to its end.  There have been recent reports of some oddities and inconsistencies in food service, say odd ingredients that cruisers aren't use to seeing on plates, or recipes for customary dishes that have varied wildly on more recent cruises, probably attributed to the ability to get specific ingredients in the home port when the ship is turned; but I don't recall anyone expressing things like total outages of high demand items.

• Like 2

We’ve never seen anything like that on Princess, Celebrity or HAL in over 40 cruises.  Perhaps it was an issue with that particular ship on that sailing.  You will not experience anything like you mentioned on your Princess cruise!

• Like 2

One cruise, right after the restart, I heard a bartender (on about Day 7 of a 10 day cruise) telling a guest that the entire ship was out of Grey Goose vodka, so they'd have to drink Absolute if they wanted vodka.

Ohhhh...the humanity.🍸

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, DCThunder said:

One cruise, right after the restart, I heard a bartender (on about Day 7 of a 10 day cruise) telling a guest that the entire ship was out of Grey Goose vodka, so they'd have to drink Absolute if they wanted vodka.

Ohhhh...the humanity.🍸

I’m a Grey Goose girl, myself, and I would be mortified lol!  By the end of the cruise if the label says “ Vodka” I’m good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I haven't noticed this. The closest I can come to it is the fact that I've noticed on more than one cruise all the fruit flavored yogurt except for peach was gone. I guess people on those sailings didn't like peach yogurt.

On my last Princess voyage in February 2022 I ordered a Manhattan and the bartender said we are out of cherries. I said “so I get it for free right?” The bartender gave me a wry look and said “sure”.  So it was. Later I ordered a Manhattan again, got the same reply, said same, and got that one free too!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Times Prince said:

Never have had food items run out.  On disembarkation day the internet gets turned off and one has to pay for liquor using cash.

Not if you have a drink package.  Boarding to disembark, all drinks are covered under the plan.  Yep, tested it!

4 hours ago, roadster08 said:

I have seen on some cruises where some things will become unavailable near the end of a cruise (particularly longer ones).  Usually they are items with limited shelf life such as some fresh fruits.   You might also see some cases where there might be some supply chain issues and some items where not in the supply shipment at the requested quantities.  For example, there have been some reports of some ships not receiving their normal supply of eggs causing some issues.

In all cases the shortages have been relatively few and minor.

Things that disappear towards the end of the cruise: 

* My budgeted cash allowance. 
* My self-control

* My patience 

* My judgment 

As for ship’s provisions, I haven’t noticed anything other than perhaps fresh fruit. But that is hit or miss. It’s not as if they provision the ship week to week. They might load up three weeks’ worth of pineapple at one time. At the end of week one and week two, there is no discernible depletion. But by luck of the draw you cruise on week three, you might see a change. Just depends when you board in relation to when a particular item was loaded on the ship. 

• Like 2

Depends on the cruise and ship. Nothing super important will run out but on the sapphire in Oct on 10 day for example they ran out of standard size water bottles and were giving out the large ones instead

Edited by fpsphil