Dealing with snoring?

pdmlynek

My wife says that I snore, I say that she is a light sleeeper, but she is not able to sleep in the same room as me.  She is not able to sleep at all when I sleep.  This is not a problem when we are at home: we sleep on the opposite sides of the house.  Yes, she tried the obvious remedies, such as her sleeping with ear plugs, or with headphones on with white noise turned up, but that does not help; the snoring cuts through it.

I am sure that we are not the only couple with this problem.  

Before I book two separate cabins, I have to ask: do you have any recommendations on what can be done on a cruise? 

Any help is appreciated it!

17 minutes ago, pdmlynek said:

My wife says that I snore, I say that she is a light sleeeper, but she is not able to sleep in the same room as me.  She is not able to sleep at all when I sleep.  This is not a problem when we are at home: we sleep on the opposite sides of the house.  Yes, she tried the obvious remedies, such as her sleeping with ear plugs, or with headphones on with white noise turned up, but that does not help; the snoring cuts through it.

I am sure that we are not the only couple with this problem.  

Before I book two separate cabins, I have to ask: do you have any recommendations on what can be done on a cruise? 

Any help is appreciated it!

BreathRight strips work for many folks.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Philob said:

Long term: see a doctor, get tested for sleep apnea...

I noticed the OP has made no mention of taking any steps to mitigate this problem, only the steps his wife has had to take to try to survive. A sleep apnea workup seems to be an obvious first step, with Breath Rite  strips in the interim.

Other than that, book the cabin of her choice for the wife, that they can both enjoy during the day and OP can book a nearby inside cabin to sleep in for himself.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mom says said:

Other than that, book the cabin of her choice for the wife, that they can both enjoy during the day and OP can book a nearby inside cabin to sleep in for himself.

Along the same line would be booking two connecting cabins.  In either case though, wouldn't going to two cabins mean paying two single supplements?   

Edited by Silver Sweethearts
  • Like 1

I use 2 wedge pillows plus a standard pillow and sleep on my back to keep my head elevated.  It is hard to bring a wedge pillow on a cruise although you can buy blow up wedge pillows so I use 3 or 4 pillows on a cruise.  I can't imagine ever sleeping on a single pillow ever again.

Although I have not tried one of these - https://smartnora.com/ - or similar products they might work.  If you buy one from Amazon you can return it if it doesn't work.

DON

On 2/10/2023 at 10:40 PM, mom says said:

I noticed the OP has made no mention of taking any steps to mitigate this problem, only the steps his wife has had to take to try to survive. A sleep apnea workup seems to be an obvious first step, with Breath Rite  strips in the interim.

I know, right? Both of my occasional travel partners snore and it seems that me not sleeping is the problem person.

One now uses a mouth device from the dentist that works well.  The other, well, finally kinda understands the seriousness of his snoring/sleep apnea but I find that a table side fan and ear plugs allow me to sleep.     

On 2/10/2023 at 5:58 PM, kelkel2 said:

Can she bring a white noise machine? My husband snores, he has sleep apnea and sometimes he still snores over his machine. The white noise really helps me focus on something other than the snoring. 

Op says that doesn't work.   My daughter uses sound with our grandkids.  I am actually surprised how loud they are but they work great.