QM2 - I searched -- need answers to a few questions from regulars

bitob

We are avid cruisers

This will be our second Cunard cruise, the first on QE last year.

We will be on QM2 for a b2b crossing in September.

Internet:  when you buy the package for the entire cruise, how many devices can you connect at the same time?

Prebooking Spa:

I know you can book 6 months out.  Do they apply your OBC or is it charged immediately to your credit card

Prebooking Alternative dining:

Are you able to prebook?  Same question about cost being applied to OBC or separate credit card charge.

Thanks in advance for the help.

15 minutes ago, bitob said:

We are avid cruisers

Internet:  when you buy the package for the entire cruise, how many devices can you connect at the same time?

*****   Only log on one device at a time.

15 minutes ago, bitob said:

Prebooking Spa:

I know you can book 6 months out.  Do they apply your OBC or is it charged immediately to your credit card

Are you able to prebook?  Same question about cost being applied to OBC or separate credit card charge.

4 minutes ago, North West Newbie said:

Yes, but that one connection can be tethered to allow additional devices to connect simultaneously.

tethered to my iPhone if I connect with it?  Good workaround.  One device is insane in today's day and age.    Every other cruise line I sail includes free wifi, multiple devices.  For what I am paying for QG it seems tacky.

Spa ! 

No need at all to consider booking Spa appointments in advance. Wait until you are onboard as often there are daily promotions and 'reductions' , they are on offer on every crossing  - I've lost count of how many I've taken advantage of.   If you book ahead, no you cannot use OBC .

Alternative restaurant !  ( The Veranda )

Again no need to be be booking in advance unless you have a particular date in mind for a very special celebration. On a QM2  crossing  tables are always available daily in the Veranda restaurant,   unlike the two vista class ships which are mainly port intensive.

Edited by Bell Boy

4 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Spa ! 

No need at all to consider booking Spa appointments in advance. Wait until you are onboard as often there are daily promotions and 'reductions' , they are on offer on every crossing  - I've lost count of how many I've taken advantage of.   If you book ahead, no you cannot use OBC .

Alternative restaurant !  ( The Veranda )

Again no need to be be booking in advance unless you have a particular date in mind for a very special celebration. On a QM2  crossing  tables are always available daily in the Veranda restaurant,   unlike the two vista class ships which are mainly port intensive.

thanks.  exactly info I needed

18 hours ago, bitob said:

Every other cruise line I sail includes free wifi, multiple devices.  For what I am paying for QG it seems tacky.

I heartily agree! In this day and age, premium cabins (with premium prices) should get ammenities such as free wifi. 

• 2 weeks later...

Our QG cabin included drinks (up to $12), gratuities, and basic internet for one device.   These are usual inclusions when booking in the U.S.    Our suite, towards the back, did not have a Wi-Fi signal.   Could use it in the Grill Lounge, and other public areas.   This was on transatlantics east and westbound.   You may prefer a different line if WI-FI is super important to you.   This was on the QM2, can’t speak to the QE or QV.

2 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Our QG cabin included drinks (up to $12), gratuities, and basic internet for one device.   These are usual inclusions when booking in the U.S.    Our suite, towards the back, did not have a Wi-Fi signal.   Could use it in the Grill Lounge, and other public areas.   This was on transatlantics east and westbound.   You may prefer a different line if WI-FI is super important to you.   This was on the QM2, can’t speak to the QE or QV.

I wasn't aware the usual "Grills Suite Offer" in the US included basic internet for one device. The grills are way out of my price range, so I can't speak from personal experience. Just going by the perks listed for that offer on the Cunard US website. Is it possible the internet you received was because of your Cunard World Club status or perhaps was from some other offer? Or is the Cunard US website missing an important perk for the "Grills Suite Offer"?

• Like 1

On 2/11/2023 at 2:55 PM, bitob said:

We are avid cruisers

Prebooking Spa:

Tip on internet - if you can do without it on the evening of departure (you'll be close to shore for a couple of hours) don't buy it until the next morning as you'll pay one day fewer

I prebooked alternative dining with credit card; there seemed to be plenty of availability on board though. OBC will be mostly used up by internet and tips

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2023 at 3:50 PM, bitob said:

tethered to my iPhone if I connect with it?  Good workaround.  One device is insane in today's day and age.    Every other cruise line I sail includes free wifi, multiple devices.  For what I am paying for QG it seems tacky.

And you'll be lucky if it works in the cabin - in our QG (about 60% of the way back) it sort of worked in the cabin, but worked much better on the balcony.

I guess you pay one way or the other; if Cunard included wifi, the cabin would probably cost more (they'd need to take the same money somehow).

One device (OH and I alternated the one connection) was a sort of semi-detox; we didn't really mind

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

And you'll be lucky if it works in the cabin - in our QG (about 60% of the way back) it sort of worked in the cabin, but worked much better on the balcony.

On our December crossing, the Wi-Fi signal seemed to be fine in our QG aft cabin. I think it depends on where the nearest repeater/router is to your cabin. The Q1 duplex suites have one inside the cabin, so the other rooms at the very back tend to have decent signal strength. 

3 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

Tip on internet - if you can do without it on the evening of departure (you'll be close to shore for a couple of hours) don't buy it until the next morning as you'll pay one day fewer

I prebooked alternative dining with credit card; there seemed to be plenty of availability on board though. OBC will be mostly used up by internet and tips

I’m lucky   Tips and drinks included 

many thanks for your responses 

50 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

No signal in our suite.   On the port side and only one Q4 between our cabin and the duplex.   We were five suites down from the repeater.   Guess the door in the Q1 blocks the signal.

Advantage Britannia class 😉

We usually had a usable signal in room 5194 [just off the 'D' staircase].

The more I read about Wi-fi issues on board ships the more I am pleased that Cunard still maintains some computers, most of which work. There are very few on the QE, though, compared to the QM2. Other than being being a bit slow, I had no problems on our two voyages last year on the aforementioned ships.

1 hour ago, david,Mississauga said:

The more I read about Wi-fi issues on board ships the more I am pleased that Cunard still maintains some computers, most of which work. There are very few on the QE, though, compared to the QM2. Other than being being a bit slow, I had no problems on our two voyages last year on the aforementioned ships.

It varies considerably through the ship.  If you keep your eyes out for the WiFi routers - often on the ceiling - and sit near one of those, you should be fine, most of the time.