Activities/Entertainment on board?

riffatsea

Hi all

We are trying our first Celebrity cruise on Eclipse in October

We are not late night people but we do like to have something to do after an early dinner and on board if we have sea days or don't feel like going ashore

I have heard that Celbrity is an "entertainment yourself" cruise line and not sure exactly what that might mean

Can you describe any of the activities we might find during the day or early evening?

Thanks

Really recommend getting the Celebrity App for your phone.    Find your ship under ships we sail and look at a current cruise.

In the App they have a Daily Planner visible when you click the center Calendar Icon.

Under Daily planner first unfiltered from Recommended Activities to ALL activities.   You will see what is offered every day and get a feel for what you enjoy doing.

Example

3536DAA5-3BEC-4149-9CB3-AD3B4C96E9DD.thumb.png.0a1a41af0c1ad7ab0f5bcb35d5670147.png

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a show every evening in the theater ( 2 x generally 7 & 9}. There is entertainment rotating through the various venues from afternoon to late night, could be a band, a duo, soloist, DJ, game show.

During the day trivia, dance lessons, games, lectures, and of course the art auctions.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Hi all

We are not late night people but we do like to have something to do after an early dinner and on board if we have sea days or don't feel like going ashore

I have heard that Celbrity is an "entertainment yourself" cruise line and not sure exactly what that might mean

Where did you hear that?

Ok so I'm going to put on my Activity Director hat here and tell you to take those comments that state you need to "entertain yourself" with a grain of salt.

A lot of time and effort goes into planning these schedules, sometimes it takes months.  As Activity Directors, we try to meet a broad range of interests.  That's why we offer variety.  Not everyone likes to do everything, and that's ok, we don't expect you to do everything

Sometimes people don't know where to look in the app, so I'm glad that someone showed you where to find that information.  Now it is up to you to use those instructions to find out what's going on throughout the ship.

Edited by broadwaybaby123
  • Like 1

On the cruise (10 day) that I just got off of the 7 and 9 shows were: two nights - 'broadway style' shows, one night - Sax. player show, one night - comedy show (best comedy show on a ship I've been one), one night - female music variety show, one night Irish 4 person music, etc.  It does vary but that's the type of stuff they have in the theater at night.   A house band, that is excellent, whenever, needed.

Edited by rmalbers

6 hours ago, Alakegirl said:

Where did you hear that?

I use that phrase all the time but there's context to it. Unlike other cruiselines like Carnival, Royal and NCL the ship itself doesn't have the same types of amenities like rock climbing walls, zip lines, go karts, wave riders, etc. None of that. When it comes to the main poolside activities, Celebrity is way, way low-key on the activities of poolside vs the other cruiselines. The most active activities are group exercises, pool volleyball, golf putting. Otherwise the poolside vibe is a lot more relaxed than say Carnival. I never meant it to mean there are zero activities on a Celebrity cruise, buts it nothing like a Carnival cruise.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Hi all

Can you describe any of the activities we might find during the day or early evening?

Thanks

8 hours ago, Alakegirl said:

Where did you hear that?

Brings games, bring books or just get drunk daily as while they offer activities in 45min blocks, they are often so underattended that they end early...Recently on the Solstice on a sea day, they had a paper airplane contest, archery where you shoot foam arrows, bean bag toss, etc and each one is supposed to last for 45mins.  I enjoy their lectures yet so I was very disappointed there wasn't one at all on my recent Solstice sailing (verified by guest services).  So what's the best way to spend your time?  All of the above, try an activities or two, spend an hour or two reading, spend some time in the hot tub, spend some time at a bar having conversations and inviting folks to play games

• Like 1

3 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Hehe. Not looking for hairy shirt contests!!

We enjoy trivia ,word games, music stand up comedy etc

We always bring books!!!

I've been on a few Celebrity cruises in the past.  They do have some trivia.  My last sailing on the Millennium had a comedian that performed twice on the cruise.  There's music scattered about the ship, with some of the shows also involving music.  I don't actively look for word games, but I imagine that they exist.

I'm surprised at the pushback at the notion that Celebrity is an "entertain yourself" cruise line.  Yes, they have lots of activities, but my experience is it's not as busy with activity as the mainstream ships.  That's a good thing, right?

@Jim_Iaininspired me to look at the app schedule for my next cruise on Celebrity in two weeks (WOOO!).  It's a charter and other than the excursions and some reminder messages, there's very little on the schedule.  I did find a new reminder message showing, and this is what it had under it:

Screenshot_20230212-004043.thumb.png.6d5f8c728a39d111b1ea1b0530fa9989.png

A little disappointing, but not a surprise.  The charter company has already provided a tentative schedule online, and it's packed with items related to the charter theme.  Things might change and that's what the paper newsletter is for.