Thinking of Alaskan Cruise

JEN5508

4 hours ago, JEN5508 said:

I'm worried we will get bored so I'm considering RC over Princess.  Was anyone unhappy with Alaska?  Should we try something another destination?  We've been to the Caribbean so just looking for something different

You can fly onto a glacier and ride a dogsled.  The destination is the excitement.

Edited by Crazy planning mom

4 hours ago, JEN5508 said:

I'm worried we will get bored so I'm considering RC over Princess.  Was anyone unhappy with Alaska?  Should we try something another destination?  We've been to the Caribbean so just looking for something different.

We sail to Alaska every year. It is the absolute best cruise destination. Last year we did the Quantum of the Seas from Seattle and enjoyed the cruise and the onboard entertainment. I would agree that if you can find an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay, that is better than the Dawes glacier. 

The link below was from our live post last year. While it focuses more on the ship, there are a few Alaskan views.

We did Ovation out of Seattle last August as our first Alaskan cruise.  I always resisted going to Alaska for fear of boredom on the ship, but the newer ship was enough to get me on-board.  It rained every day, and I don't think we saw the sun for more than an hour the entire week.  The captain also turned around before Dawes glacier due to too much ice.  That said, this was one of our favorite cruises ever.  Ovation had incredible entertainment, and considering the weather the enclosed ship was perfect.  I can't imagine how great it is when the weather isn't horrible, but we plan to go back and find out.

I'm a huge fan of the Quantum Class ships sailing out of Seattle.  Did it 4 times in the past 2 years.  😁

However, having cruised Alaska a lot, I don't think these are the best option for a first-time AK cruiser, especially if it might be the only time.  I recently saw itineraries that visit both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier, and cruise the Inside Passage out of Vancouver.  I believe it was Holland America and Princess.  That's the direction I would steer you.

Edited by Aquahound

We did Alaska northbound on Radiance from Vancouver to Seward in August 2018.

My advice is consider what YOU a want to see, do and hear. Then ignore the people that say “you have to do X, Y and Z.” They aren’t you. They might not like or enjoy what you do, and that’s okay. Likewise, it’s okay for you to decide to make other choices.

We sailed with our 3 kids and my mom (young 70s at the time). We were not interested in listening to someone talk the whole time we were glacier watching. We did not do the train in Skagway because I knew our kids would be bored after 20 minutes and the wooden seats looked horribly uncomfortable. Also, our daughter uses a wheelchair and would have had to park on the train and been stuck where she was, no moving around the train to explore or walk.

We did Alaska in the way that worked for us, and had a fabulous time. Did we do what others said we “should” or “must?” No, but we had an amazing once-in-a-lifetime vacation anyway.

• Like 2

I have been to Alaska in different ways at least 10 times and I am going again this summer so I have some strong and perhaps different opinions on doing Alaska.  Basically all of the large ship AK cruises visit the same ports (Juneau, Ketchikan and unfortunately also Skagway.  I don't think it makes much difference which line since with an AK cruise you are there for what is outside of the ship and not what is in the ship.  I am sure that I will get feedback on this statement.   

I don't think that Skagway is worth the stop but you are stuck with it.  The only variable here is port time. 

Icy Strait point is a better stop than Skagway in my opinion and some cruises do stop there.

The most important thing is to make sure that the ship goes to Glacier Bay which will be the highpoint of your cruise. Some cruise lines do not have permits to go into Glacier Bay so they go into Hubbard Glacier instead.  While Hubbard Glacier is very large and very spectacular sometimes the ships can not get into Hubbard while you will almost always get into Glacier Bay.  You don't want to end up with a cruise that doesn't get into any glacier at all which will happen if you depend upon getting into Hubbard.  

There are 2 ways that you can do AK

1) up and back which starts and ends in either Seattle or Vancouver or

2) One way either north or south bound.

In my opinion the one way cruise is much better as it gives you more ports than the up and back cruise.  The negative of the one way will be that the air costs will be higher as you will have to fly either to or from Anchorage.

I realize that I have done a bit of meandering in this post but I hope that it helps.

DON

Which month would be the best for weather and wildlife?  We are wanting to go next summer between May and September.  We will be on the Wonder this June.  If we decide to book Alaska with Royal Caribbean, would it be cheaper to book while on the Wonder?  Or should I do it sooner?

thank you!!

Jennifer

If the ship is more important than the itinerary, Celebrity's Edge will be doing the round trips cruises out of Seattle in 2024.  You could splurge and get an Aqua Class stateroom, or maybe a suite (Retreat).

While I live and work in the Seattle area, there is something to be said about sailing to/from Vancouver (either round trip, or one way).  The inside passage part of the trip is calm, peaceful and beautiful.  The associated cost with this is higher airfare (and local hotel stay), and not great flight connections.  Seattle is easy to fly to, and comfortable to navigate.

Along with Princess, there is Holland America.  Slightly smaller ships, that also go to Glacier Bay.  Many of the HAL ships will have great inside viewing areas to watch the scenery.

Alaska cruises are very port intensive, so its not unusual to have early nights because the ship arrives in port early the next morning.  While evening entertainment might be important on other voyages, people sail to Alaska to see Alaska.  Good luck with your decision!

I have encouraged many couple to go on an Alaskan cruise. It was my first cruise and it was worth every penny we spent. On our 3rd cruise we used a rental car out of Skagway and had a blast doing and seeing what we wanted at our own pace. Right now we are thinking about going again. I would love to go again, but now we have some mobility concerns. We probably wouldn't be hiking on glaciers or taking long walks around the areas. A whale watch excursion would be doable, sometimes you can see whales and wildlife from the ship. I hope you go, as just the scenery is worth it.  

On 2/15/2023 at 9:56 AM, JEN5508 said:

When is the best month for Weather and wildlife?

Jennifer

The best month for weather, and my many cruises to Alaska, is May as the lowest rain month.  There will still be a hint of chill in the mornings but rapid warming during the rest of the day.  May is also a good month for frisky baby humpback whales, baby eagles learning to fly, and still a bit of snow on the peaks.

I have never been disappointed in wildlife viewing with the exception of bears who are more active in salmon season (July and September).  My favorite bear watching location is Denali National park where the bears have no problem walking right past the tour bus.  Note that wildlife, with the exception of eagles, don't hang around the port cities.

Mom and cub walking past the Denali tour bus

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/brown-bears/P6100504.jpgBa

Baby whales in Auke Bay (Juneau) in May

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/humpback-whales/1_P5133000-3-Edit.jpg

Bald eagles in Ketchikan

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/eagles/P5050039.jpg

• Like 2