Coffee card no longer showing for pre-boarding purchase

CruzeQueen2

It will be based upon journey length (as indicated in the terms.  If it is more than $10 per day, I am most certainly out (and probably $7 per day will be iffy.  I buy it only for the specialty coffees, as I don't drink regular coffee.  And I usually drink one specialty drink per day (ok, on sea days it is sometimes 2).  So, I will make the decision based upon the cost.

It is also depressing that we are on the doorstep of reaching the elite captain's circle level and was looking forward to the coffee card substitution for the mini-bar, and now it looks like it will disappear just before we can taste it!

Under the old system, on a 14 day cruise the package worked well and cost somewhere in the $40 range.  Now, if it is say $10 per day, that would be $140 for a 14 day journey, and would be a hard pass for me.

Edited by Mud_Shark
  • Like 3

Just another speculation...

The terms posted clearly states several times that whatever the new package will be it will be based on a specific number of coffees, and says that it can be shared, so it doesn't appear it will be based on a daily charge or a unlimited package, but rather perhaps a more expensive break down on a per coffee pre-purchase formula of some kind.

As far as the Elite trade-in for coffee cards, I can guess that there going to alter the 2 -.15-coffee cards currently offered for the trade-in to some lesser version based on the number of days the cruise is ....

Anyway you spin it, we're going to lose something 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mud_Shark said:

It seems some may have missed PacnGoNow's post (#48) and the link supplied. 

There is a "New"  New Grounds Coffee package being rolled out in the next few days or weeks.  Price has not been released, but it will vary depending upon journey length.  And it does say in the details that Mini-bar cannot be subbed for this package (at least that is how I read it).

See Exclusion #2 below:

New Grounds Coffee Package

Terms & Conditions

What is Included

• The package includes the pre-purchase of a specified number of specialty coffees (numbers vary by itinerary) during the voyage of purchase, as well as complimentary brewed coffee and hot chocolate.
  • Guests may redeem the number of specialty coffees purchased in the package in locations where espresso is available. This will include select bar and dining areas and varies by ship and/or itinerary.
  • Selections and service are limited to that venue’s menu offerings and operating hours.

Package Details and Qualifications

• The package may be pre-purchased up to 4 days prior to boarding the vessel.
  • The package is NOT available for pre-purchase within 3 days of sailing.
  • The coffee package is valid only on the voyage for which it is purchased. If the maximum number of coffees pre-purchased are not used during the voyage, the remaining value will NOT be credited or refunded and is NOT transferable for any purpose.
  • Coffee packages cannot be sold or otherwise transferred to any individual. Pre-purchased specialty coffees may be shared, but complimentary brewed coffee, teas and hot chocolate continue to be limited to the purchaser.

Exclusions and Limitations

• Does NOT apply to bottled or ready to drink items such as canned coffee items etc.
  • CANNOT be redeemed when ordering Room Service or for Mini Bar items.

Terms and Conditions

• Princess Cruises may modify, amend or update these terms and conditions of our beverage packages / offers at any time with or without notice to guests. The terms and conditions as published on princess.com on the date of sailing will apply, in addition to the terms and conditions of the passage contract.
  • Not all exclusions or limitations can be foreseen or published here and may exist or be implemented with or without notice.
  • Pricing is subject to change without notice, and for vessels designated in a foreign currency (Australia as an example), packages purchased in advance may vary from onboard pricing due to timing and currency fluctuations. Guests will NOT incur additional charges, nor be issued any credits or refunds for such currency variances.
  • By purchasing a coffee package, you agree to these and all future terms and conditions.

Do not agree with your interpretation on exclusion item number 2.

The exclusion #2 simply says that it cannot be used for minibar or room service items (as in paying for one of those items), it says nothing about being able to swap the minibar for it under elite benefits..

18 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Here’s the latest I can find on Princess:

https://www.princess.com/html/global/personalizer/ssv/beverages/coffee-and-soda-package-disclaimer/

Is this new?  It’s not dated.

Do any of the newer ships have the free style soft drink machines?  If not then it is probably relatively new. If they are on any ships then it would have been before they were put into service. I did not notice any on the Discovery. 

7 hours ago, pompeii said:

Does anyone have a link to the current list of mini-bar exchange options?  I can never seem to find it on the Princess site.  

Finally found it…but probably out of date…big time.

Princess Elite Mini-bar 

Question:What will my mini-bar consist of?
Answer:Elite members will get a one-time complimentary mini-bar set-up (1per Elite stateroom) which consists of two (2) miniature bottles each of Cognac, Gin, Vodka and Scotch Whisky, two (2) 12 ounce cans of beer, two (2) 12ounce cans/bottles of tonic water, two (2) 12 ounce cans of Coca Cola, two (2)12 ounce cans of Sprite, two (2) 0.5 liter bottles of water, two (2) 11 ounce bottles of Perrier. The contents of the mini-bar are subject to change.

Question:What if I have a specific request for how I’d like my mini-bar stocked?
Answer:Your mini-bar will consist of a selection of liquors, soft drinks,beer, still and sparkling water. Once on board, you may contact Room Service to change your mini-bar selection. Certain restrictions apply.

Question:Can I exchange the items in my Elite mini-bar for wine?
Answer:You may exchange all of your mini-bar items for one bottle of wine valued at $40 or less.

Question:Can I exchange the items in my Elite mini-bar for full bottles of liquor?
Answer:No. Miniature bottles of liquor (50 ml) may be exchanged on a one-for-one basis with other miniature bottles.

Question:Can I exchange the non-alcoholic items in my Elite mini-bar for alcohol?
Answer:No. Non-alcoholic beverages may be exchanged on a one-for-one basis with other non-alcoholic varieties.

Question:What if I don't want any alcohol in my Elite mini-bar?
Answer:If you do not wish to have any alcohol in your mini-bar we will be happy to exchange your mini-bar for one of the following: 

• Alcoholic beverages may be exchanged for non-alcoholic beverages on a one-for-one basis
  • Full mini-bar may be exchanged for two (2) New Grounds Coffee packages
  • All water mini-bar setup will consist of eight (8) 1.5 liter bottles of water
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Do any of the newer ships have the free style soft drink machines?  If not then it is probably relatively new. If they are on any ships then it would have been before they were put into service. I did not notice any on the Discovery. 

No idea.

48 minutes ago, ldtr said:

No one has reported seeing one to my knowledge. There was talk a few years ago......

1 hour ago, Coral said:

No one has reported seeing one to my knowledge. There was talk a few years ago......

You are correct I just found a stream where they were being discussed back in 2019 so that description of the coffee and soft drink package could be several years old.

5 hours ago, ldtr said:

Do not agree with your interpretation on exclusion item number 2.

The exclusion #2 simply says that it cannot be used for minibar or room service items (as in paying for one of those items), it says nothing about being able to swap the minibar for it under elite benefits..

I certainly hope you are correct.  I found that line confusing so I may well be wrong.

On 2/17/2023 at 8:33 PM, gottagocit said:

The coffee package (card) referred to in the OP cost $38-39 for 15 specialty coffees which a coffee drinker would probably drink 1-2 per day. The ”Zero alcohol” package you’re referencing cost $47 per day.  Please explain why a coffee drinker would think that is a reasonable alternative?  THAT is the bottom line imo. 

Might as well just pay $13/day more for Princess Plus and have $15/day Internet and $16 (or more)/day for gratuities included. (Both people in a cabin would have to do this.)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

It looks as though, according to their website search, that these new packages are effective Feb 20, 2023?

Again, not clearly written.  Looks like old packages in effect Dec 2022-Feb 19, 2023.

Our Cruise Drink Packages – Variety at a Value

New Updates Dec 2022Plus Beverage Package Through February 19, 2023: View Plus Beverage Package Terms & Conditions No-Alcohol Drink Packages Zero-Alcohol Drink Package Zero-Alcohol Drink Package Previous Slide Next Slide Pause Photos Get Your Caffeine Fix Enjoy premium and specialty coffees and teas along with fountain sodas, fresh juices.

I think that is their way to explain that the $60 Plus and $80 Premier packages go into effect on Feb 20. So that is the first date you can get that fantastic fancy dessert at the IC with one of those packages.

16 hours ago, Mud_Shark said:

It seems some may have missed PacnGoNow's post (#48) and the link supplied. 

There is a "New"  New Grounds Coffee package being rolled out in the next few days or weeks.  Price has not been released, but it will vary depending upon journey length.  And it does say in the details that Mini-bar cannot be subbed for this package (at least that is how I read it).

See Exclusion #2 below:

New Grounds Coffee Package

Terms & Conditions

What is Included

• The package includes the pre-purchase of a specified number of specialty coffees (numbers vary by itinerary) during the voyage of purchase, as well as complimentary brewed coffee and hot chocolate.
  • Guests may redeem the number of specialty coffees purchased in the package in locations where espresso is available. This will include select bar and dining areas and varies by ship and/or itinerary.
  • Selections and service are limited to that venue’s menu offerings and operating hours.

Package Details and Qualifications

• The package may be pre-purchased up to 4 days prior to boarding the vessel.
  • The package is NOT available for pre-purchase within 3 days of sailing.
  • The coffee package is valid only on the voyage for which it is purchased. If the maximum number of coffees pre-purchased are not used during the voyage, the remaining value will NOT be credited or refunded and is NOT transferable for any purpose.
  • Coffee packages cannot be sold or otherwise transferred to any individual. Pre-purchased specialty coffees may be shared, but complimentary brewed coffee, teas and hot chocolate continue to be limited to the purchaser.

Exclusions and Limitations

• Does NOT apply to bottled or ready to drink items such as canned coffee items etc.
  • CANNOT be redeemed when ordering Room Service or for Mini Bar items.

Terms and Conditions

• Princess Cruises may modify, amend or update these terms and conditions of our beverage packages / offers at any time with or without notice to guests. The terms and conditions as published on princess.com on the date of sailing will apply, in addition to the terms and conditions of the passage contract.
  • Not all exclusions or limitations can be foreseen or published here and may exist or be implemented with or without notice.
  • Pricing is subject to change without notice, and for vessels designated in a foreign currency (Australia as an example), packages purchased in advance may vary from onboard pricing due to timing and currency fluctuations. Guests will NOT incur additional charges, nor be issued any credits or refunds for such currency variances.
  • By purchasing a coffee package, you agree to these and all future terms and conditions.

It makes perfect sense that a coffee package should cost more on a 14-night voyage than a 5-night voyage, as an example.  It should be priced by the day like other beverage packages.  I suppose we are going to see a variety of price points by range of voyage nights.

That will become problematic in implementation as I very much suspect there will be more value in a longer voyage purchase, so guests who are booked on B2B / B2B2B, will likely want to buy for the full voyage length and not be forced to buy several shorter length packages.  We shall have to see how PCL rolls this out and what flexibility is given.  My suspicion is the System is going to present only the applicable length of package in the Cruise Personalizer and it will take an act of God at PCL HQ to sell an all-encompassing package.

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

It makes perfect sense that a coffee package should cost more on a 14-night voyage than a 5-night voyage, as an example.  It should be priced by the day like other beverage packages.  I suppose we are going to see a variety of price points by range of voyage nights.

I don't drink coffee so I have no bones in this fight over coffee card. I do have to say it is appealing that there was a package that had a set limit (12 drinks or whatever) as opposed to unlimited and this was one thing that could legally be shared.

I would buy that for mocktails or juice. I don't need unlimited as I probably only drink 1 - 3 drinks per day (fresh squeezed OJ for breakfast, mocktail for dinner, hot chocolate if I am cold).

• Like 1

Folks, the new language for New Grounds Coffee Package is clearly new language.  The old package was a set price, regardless of voyage length and now the pricing is going to be scaled to voyage length.  Makes perfect sense to me.  Why should Princess give out free coffee for the same price on a 21 night voyage as on a 5 night voyage?  The new pricing scale will also include a varying number of the specialty drinks.

Also, the language is the same and quite clear IMO in regards to using the package benefits - you cannot (and could not before) use the package to obtain a minibar item that would be coffee-related.  There is no language that excludes Elite/Suite minibar trade-in for two coffee packages.

Now, for a bit of speculation.  The Elite minibar is always the same size, whether 7 nights, 10 nights, 14 nights, etc.  However, we do get a new one on each physical voyage turnover day.  If sailing B2B, we get a whole new minibar each segment.  This applies whether booked a separate physical voyages or as a single logical voyage, or as a mix of logical and physical (e.g. 7 night + 14 night).  Based on this, I am guessing that Princess will indicate that the Suite/Elite minibar exchange will be for one of the new coffee packages which is going to be by a range of voyage days (like 5-9, 10-14, 15-21, etc). 

Since we don't know the ranges, nor the pricing, it gets murky to go beyond this, but I should think we need to see those ranges and prices first.  But don't be surprised if the exchange is for the minimum package - something similar to what is offered today. 

These changes gives them the opportunity to offer a single coffee package swap as well, but I am not holding my breath for that.

46 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

That will become problematic in implementation as I very much suspect there will be more value in a longer voyage purchase, so guests who are booked on B2B / B2B2B, will likely want to buy for the full voyage length and not be forced to buy several shorter length packages.  We shall have to see how PCL rolls this out and what flexibility is given.  My suspicion is the System is going to present only the applicable length of package in the Cruise Personalizer and it will take an act of God at PCL HQ to sell an all-encompassing package.

Considering that the coffee was for a set number of drinks, not number of days and one could always buy more the cruise length did not make much of a difference, unless one wanted to buy one with fewer during for short cruises. Of course for short cruises they could always go ala carte.

I doubt that any change to the Elite benefit would involve trading for an unlimited coffee package by days. 

Considering that the value of the current trade is about $70 per cruise. No way are they going to increase the value of the swap. More likely to just drop that option from the Mini bar swap entirely.

Hoping that the removal from the web site is more about marketing. Getting those to buy an unlimited package by not presenting other options on the web site and that the swap and on board purchase remains. After all we have not heard from anyone yet that they were not available on board. No official announcement about any change to the Elite benefit.

Edited by ldtr

39 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Folks, the new language for New Grounds Coffee Package is clearly new language.  The old package was a set price, regardless of voyage length and now the pricing is going to be scaled to voyage length.  Makes perfect sense to me.  Why should Princess give out free coffee for the same price on a 21 night voyage as on a 5 night voyage?  The new pricing scale will also include a varying number of the specialty drinks.

Also, the language is the same and quite clear IMO in regards to using the package benefits - you cannot (and could not before) use the package to obtain a minibar item that would be coffee-related.  There is no language that excludes Elite/Suite minibar trade-in for two coffee packages.

Now, for a bit of speculation.  The Elite minibar is always the same size, whether 7 nights, 10 nights, 14 nights, etc.  However, we do get a new one on each physical voyage turnover day.  If sailing B2B, we get a whole new minibar each segment.  This applies whether booked a separate physical voyages or as a single logical voyage, or as a mix of logical and physical (e.g. 7 night + 14 night).  Based on this, I am guessing that Princess will indicate that the Suite/Elite minibar exchange will be for one of the new coffee packages which is going to be by a range of voyage days (like 5-9, 10-14, 15-21, etc). 

Since we don't know the ranges, nor the pricing, it gets murky to go beyond this, but I should think we need to see those ranges and prices first.  But don't be surprised if the exchange is for the minimum package - something similar to what is offered today. 

These changes gives them the opportunity to offer a single coffee package swap as well, but I am not holding my breath for that.

New language?  I’m not sure this is new language.  Below, was the language when clearly the new grounds coffee package included 15 specialty coffee/teas.  Some exceptions on Australian cruises, I believe.

This was the language on Oct 2, 2022 and we know how often their informational language is updated on the website.  

What is Included

• Guests may redeem the number of specialty coffees purchased in the package in locations where espresso is available. This will include select bar and dining areas and varies by ship and or itinerary.
  • Selections and service are limited to that venue's menu offerings and operating hours.

Will be nice to see new prices, new T&C and IF the New Grounds Coffee package is still offered, as opposed to a Coffee & Soda package.  Supposedly, effective 2/20/22.

Perhaps, you could get feedback from your friends sailing?  If they are OB 2/27, they may see the change.  TIA

26 minutes ago, t&atravel said:

I have to disagree with all of you regarding the language for the coffee card.  This is NOT new. It has been there since they did away with the old cards.  See post #17 on this thread from 2018.

Lol.  I was just posting that old language from 2022.  They never update these old T&C on the website.  It’s a shame.  This was brought up before the increases of Dec 2022 also.

5 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

New language?  I’m not sure this is new language.  Below, was the language when clearly the new grounds coffee package included 15 specialty coffee/teas.  Some exceptions on Australian cruises, I believe.

This was the language on Oct 2, 2022 and we know how often their informational language is updated on the website.  

What is Included

• Guests may redeem the number of specialty coffees purchased in the package in locations where espresso is available. This will include select bar and dining areas and varies by ship and or itinerary.
  • Selections and service are limited to that venue's menu offerings and operating hours.

Will be nice to see new prices, new T&C and IF the New Grounds Coffee package is still offered, as opposed to a Coffee & Soda package.  Supposedly, effective 2/20/22.

Perhaps, you could get feedback from your friends sailing?  If they are OB 2/27, they may see the change.  TIA

I thought the number of specialty coffees was a fixed number previously (15).  Also, there has been one price only, regardless of voyage length, so that can be a lot of "free" coffee.

• Like 1