2 Part Question

Hawkstar33

Symphony docks in Miami at 6am.  How soon can we walk off for early 9:40 flight?   Flight will board at 9:10 am.  Anyone travel from Miami cruise terminal to Ft L airport, and any idea of how long it takes?  TY in advance.  It's been a while..

If you carry off your own luggage, you should be able to be off by about 7 am, give or take.  But it's almost 30 miles from the port of Miami to Ft. Lauderdale airport and traffic between Miami and Fort Lauderdale can be horrendous. I give you a solid, 'maybe you'll make it', at best.  And that would be with having a car waiting for you because it can be a zoo when getting off the ship with everyone trying to get a taxi, Uber, etc.  

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 1

We were on Symphony last month.  It was 7:30am when the announcement for self-assist was made. There was a line for the self assist walk off.  Other consideration is traffic to FLL and airport lines.  Seems very risky.

• Like 2

Lots of things to factor in if you are going to try to push for a flight this early.

Day of week, rush hour, is it a holiday, car at door for pick up, do you have tsa pre-check, do you need to check in luggage at airport, etc etc.   

IMO, it's risky.  Why get off a fun and relaxing cruise to rush around hoping you make it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Lots of things to factor in if you are going to try to push for a flight this early.

Day of week, rush hour, is it a holiday, car at door for pick up, do you have tsa pre-check, do you need to check in luggage at airport, etc etc.   

IMO, it's risky.  Why get off a fun and relaxing cruise to rush around hoping you make it.

Not my original choice.  Southwest just recently changed our flight. With all things considered, I just changed it to a later flight.  TY ALL

• Like 4

We have a 10 am flight from FLL in April. Will be disembarking from Symphony in Miami. We know it is a risk. We were late bookers and our choices were 3 pm flights that were outrageous or 10 pm. It is worth the risk. It will be early Sunday so hoping traffic will be light.

Just disembarked Grandeur on a Sunday morning about 4 weeks ago.  

We were met by pilot around 5 AM, docked a little after 6AM. 

Something delayed us, to the point they released all groups up to number 18 at the same time.  Self assist may have had just a short head start, but the groups 1 to 18 were released about 8:15 AM. 

We have found taxi as the quickest to FLL airport, but spent 20 minutes in the taxi line.  Made it to FLL at 9:30 AM.  Our flight was at noon.  Check in and TSA were swamped, even precheck took at least 20 minutes to  escape from TSA.  

Good of luck is all I can say.

Eddie

2 hours ago, Hawkstar33 said:

Symphony docks in Miami at 6am.  How soon can we walk off for early 9:40 flight?   Flight will board at 9:10 am.  Anyone travel from Miami cruise terminal to Ft L airport, and any idea of how long it takes?  TY in advance.  It's been a while..

No one can answer definately. Each docking is different. The staff has to get a zero count onboard. 

We have had good luck with Uber between MIA and FLL. 30 minutes or so depending on traffic.

14 hours ago, Hawkstar33 said:

Why even ask this question when you know that having a flight that early is extremely risky.  Are you looking for some justification for making this mistake to find out if some people also did this and make it?  Yes, you can make it, but you also have extreme odds that you will be sitting in an  airport for hours waiting for another flight

My brothers FLL flight is at 12:20. Saturday disembark from POM.  Not crazy about taking our own luggage but I guess we could if necessary.  Last early shuttle is 8:45.  I am a little concerned about how early we’ll have to get off to make that one, maybe 8?  

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

Why even ask this question when you know that having a flight that early is extremely risky.  Are you looking for some justification for making this mistake to find out if some people also did this and make it?  Yes, you can make it, but you also have extreme odds that you will be sitting in an  airport for hours waiting for another flight

Hey Joe.  Maybe you missed my follow up comment, of my post.   Southwest changed my flight on me outta nowhere.  So thanks for your slight bashing, and remember to be kind.  

Edited by Hawkstar33
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Hawkstar33 said:

Hey Joe.  Maybe you missed my follow up comment, of my post.   Southwest changed my flight on me outta nowhere.  So thanks for your slight bashing, and remember to be kind.  

I was kind.....by pointing out that you are asking a question asked weekly, and that there is no need to ask the question because you already know the answer.  You will be lucky if you make the flight.  If I were you, I would  be on the phone to Southwest trying to fix this.   Apparently almost everyone so far told you the same thing.  But the good news is that my post got your attention so it worked!  Now maybe you will follow the advice of everyone today, and those in the last several weeks to call and change your flight

I have missed flights and connections because of schedule changes and will never accept an 90% impossible change again.

Edited by Joseph2017China

18 hours ago, Hawkstar33 said:

9:40 is fine. But you have to be proactive and in line for self walk off early. 

4 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

I was kind.....by pointing out that you are asking a question asked weekly, and that there is no need to ask the question because you already know the answer.  You will be lucky if you make the flight.  If I were you, I would  be on the phone to Southwest trying to fix this.   Apparently almost everyone so far told you the same thing.  But the good news is that my post got your attention so it worked!  Now maybe you will follow the advice of everyone today, and those in the last several weeks to call and change your flight

I have missed flights and connections because of schedule changes and will never accept an 90% impossible change again.

Once again ty Joe.  And once again, had you read further, you would see that I already rebooked my flight, after the first few comments I received from others.  Having not done this trip since before covid, I hoped that someone had recently had a similar situation, and could enlighten me about any types of local delays, cab issues, etc. You know, I kinda stopped coming on the site, because of experts like you.  Apparently you must have the time to troll the pages and pick out the posts where you can try to make people look bad. I've been on this site, 5 yrs longer than you. Seen many like you. Now maybe you will follow my advice, and be nice to those who are not currently, as travel savvy as you.  Oh, and follow the entire story line before you unleash your wisdom.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hawkstar33 said:

Once again ty Joe.  And once again, had you read further, you would see that I already rebooked my flight, after the first few comments I received from others.  Having not done this trip since before covid, I hoped that someone had recently had a similar situation, and could enlighten me about any types of local delays, cab issues, etc. You know, I kinda stopped coming on the site, because of experts like you.  Apparently you must have the time to troll the pages and pick out the posts where you can try to make people look bad. I've been on this site, 5 yrs longer than you. Seen many like you. Now maybe you will follow my advice, and be nice to those who are not currently, as travel savvy as you.  Oh, and follow the entire story line before you unleash your wisdom.  

Sorry you have to put up with this. These types are abundant on CC. Btw, did you know that you block individuals so that you don't see their posts?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hawkstar33 said:

Glad to hear you followed the advice and rebooked.  Sometimes truth can be harsh when asking questions that are have a well known answer.