Zaandam Coastal 4/13/2024 Cancelled 😢

Bostonjetset

Got notified today that HAL cancelled our CA Coastal on the Zaandam for 4/13/2023. It seems only that week was canceled and it’s far out so I assume a charter?  

They did offer to move us at the same price to a 6 day coastal on K’dam but it doesn’t go to SF so we’ll likely just cancel. Strange that Monterey is still listed on the replacement cruise though. 

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Monterey doesn't have the ability to ban cruise ships. They are just refusing to provide any services to support the ships. The cruise lines can hire their own shore staff and provide the services themselves, and continue stopping at Monterey. 

There is a problem with it being that simple. One cannot run security or other required activities on the pier without having an agreement with the port. And while they might have to allow tenders to dock, they would have to have an agreement with the port to allow security and other services to be on the pier, even if paid for by the cruise lines.

While they might not be able to ban cruise ships, the reality is that it is unlikely that cruise ships will stop at Monterey as long as the city council sticks with its current position.

5 hours ago, ldtr said:

There is a problem with it being that simple. One cannot run security or other required activities on the pier without having an agreement with the port. And while they might have to allow tenders to dock, they would have to have an agreement with the port to allow security and other services to be on the pier, even if paid for by the cruise lines.

While they might not be able to ban cruise ships, the reality is that it is unlikely that cruise ships will stop at Monterey as long as the city council sticks with its current position.

However, what I said is exactly what was reported as the city took its action. The city acknowledged they couldn't ban cruise ships, but hoped their actions would dissuade ships from stopping.

9 hours ago, Bostonjetset said:

Got notified today that HAL cancelled our CA Coastal on the Zaandam for 4/13/2023. It seems only that week was canceled and it’s far out so I assume a charter?  

They did offer to move us at the same price to a 6 day coastal on K’dam but it doesn’t go to SF so we’ll likely just cancel. Strange that Monterey is still listed on the replacement cruise though. 

I’m hoping that’s a typo and you meant 2024, and not that HAL is notifying you 7 weeks out that a charter just sprung up out of nowhere and you are canceled.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I’m hoping that’s a typo and you meant 2024, and not that HAL is notifying you 7 weeks out that a charter just sprung up out of nowhere and you are canceled.

Omg I feel stupid haha. Yes 2024. The title is correct but I typed 2023 in the body of the post. Sorry about that. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Monterey doesn't have the ability to ban cruise ships. They are just refusing to provide any services to support the ships. The cruise lines can hire their own shore staff and provide the services themselves, and continue stopping at Monterey. 

NOT SO !

In 2003, the Crystal Harmony did an illegal dumping outside the waters of Monterey Bay. Monterey banned cruise ships for years after that.

47 minutes ago, Shippy said:

NOT SO !

In 2003, the Crystal Harmony did an illegal dumping outside the waters of Monterey Bay. Monterey banned cruise ships for years after that.

The laws and regulations may have changed since then, because the city clearly stated recently they couldn't ban cruise ships.

10 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

However, what I said is exactly what was reported as the city took its action. The city acknowledged they couldn't ban cruise ships, but hoped their actions would dissuade ships from stopping.

While the city stated that it could not ban cruise ships from the Bay, the discussion during the meeting was one that implied that neither side of the discussion (yes I listened to the entire council meeting) expected cruise ships to continue coming if the council voted in favor of withdrawing services.

Could the cruise lines jump a lot of hurdles, pay for their own services, make an agreement with the port to be able to use the services they pay for, most likely.  Kind of interesting that in Key West the city has blocked large cruise ships from the docks that they run.  In Bar Harbor the city council has been able to limit the number of cruise ship passengers.  In both cases, as with Monterey the city controls the docks and the harbor operations is a division of the city.  I suspect the comment about not being able to ban was more legal boiler plate than an expectation that cruise ships would keep coming.  As well as a political position after all they did not ban them only removed city services.  Not the City Councils  problem if the cruise ships are not willing to jump a few hurdles to keep coming.

Are they likely to do so, probably not.  The business owners, including those involved in excursions, certainly acted like they would not.  During off season Monterey is pretty empty.  Was just there for a couple of days. Talked with a couple of restaurant owners that I know on Fisherman's Wharf. Where the tenders dock.  Both told me that they are planning staffing for the rest of the off season at lower levels and not expecting any cruise ship passengers.

4 hours ago, Shippy said:

NOT SO !

In that case there was a contract between the cruise line and the cruise ship that specifically stated that the ship would not do any dumping in the bay.  So in that case the city could as part of a violation of the contract.

In addition the Marine Sanctuary  was involved and  can enforce its own restrictions as well.  In this case between the contract and the Sanctuary being involved the cruise line did not try to push the issue.

https://nmsmontereybay.blob.core.windows.net/montereybay-prod/media/sac/2003/040403/020303-042403sacoff.pdf

The Sanctuary learned that the cruise ship Crystal Harmony which visited Monterey in October of 2002 discharged treated wastewater, grey water and processed bilge water into the Sanctuary, breaking a voluntary agreement which the cruise line had made with the City and the Sanctuary to hold all wastes while within Sanctuary boundaries. We are continuing to investigate the incident, which has led to widespread media publicity and additional calls from environmental organizations for the Sanctuary to adopt a regulation banning cruise ship discharges. For additional information contact Brad Damitz at (831) 647-4252.

Edited by ldtr

11 hours ago, Bostonjetset said:

Omg I feel stupid haha. Yes 2024. The title is correct but I typed 2023 in the body of the post. Sorry about that. 

Oh wow!

I fell for your little "joke", too! 😉 

I immediately started thinking of those who had long since paid for air tickets from overseas, etc.!

VERY glad to know it's for *next* year.

And yes, I should pay more attention to the title.  Duh!

GM

Interesting that your Zaandam trip has been cancelled. Was it a repositioning cruise ? 

Right now HAL has the Zaandam and the Kdam doing Alaska  round trips from Vancouver in 2024. 

Maybe HAL has another plan for the Zaandam in Alaska.  

2 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

Interesting that your Zaandam trip has been cancelled. Was it a repositioning cruise ? 

Right now HAL has the Zaandam and the Kdam doing Alaska  round trips from Vancouver in 2024. 

It was a round trip from San Diego. Not a repositioning. I think the cruise after is the repo to Alaska. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

If it was cancelled for  a charter, that doesn't need to affect the specific cruising itineraries at all.

GC

Here is the CC Thread with updated list of HAL dry docking and charters, your cruise does not show up on either, unless this is a new charter just signed or a needed last minute hull maintenance before the Zaandam starts the Alaska cruise season.

We are doing the Koningsdam coastal cruise in November this year, so far nothing about the possible cancelation of our stop in Monterrey Bay.

Edited by terrydtx

6 minutes ago, MereBooty said:

Looks like it may have been chartered

https://olivia.com/trip/2024_san_diego_to_mexico_cruise/faqs

it does not mention the ship name so I am speculating

That is a new charter ok.

Olivia charters are very popular.  They have two 7 day cruises on Nieuw Amsterdam starting tomorrow and it makes perfect business sense that they have another cruise available to sell onboard.

• 1 year later...
On 2/17/2023 at 2:39 PM, Guest ldtr said:

Could the cruise lines jump a lot of hurdles, pay for their own services, make an agreement with the port to be able to use the services they pay for, most likely.  Kind of interesting that in Key West the city has blocked large cruise ships from the docks that they run.  In Bar Harbor the city council has been able to limit the number of cruise ship passengers.  In both cases, as with Monterey the city controls the docks and the harbor operations is a division of the city.  I suspect the comment about not being able to ban was more legal boiler plate than an expectation that cruise ships would keep coming.  As well as a political position after all they did not ban them only removed city services.  Not the City Councils  problem if the cruise ships are not willing to jump a few hurdles to keep coming.

California has something called the Tidelands Trust.  It us in our constitution.  Tidelands are controlled by the State, not cities and must be used for public benefit.   Tidelands mean a lot more than you would think.   In San Diego, Harbor Island, Shelter Island, most of the airport, the Embarcadero up to Pacific Highway, South Embarcadero up to Harbor Drive are all tidelands.  Our convention center, Grand Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton, Seaport Village, Intercontinental Hotel, Wyndham Hotel and County Administration Building are all in Tidelands even though it looks like they are on solid ground.