What has been your 2023 experience in The Retreat?

JDPCruisers

Guest 4-2-N-8

Can't offer comparison on Celebrity to "the before times," but I can offer insight to first impressions on Beyond from a 7-night late Jan/early Feb sailing out of PE in the Retreat.

Superb.

Both shoreside Retreat and shoreside spa company took care of all reservations and times. Dined Le Voyage first and last nights, while did Eden, Fine Cut, LPC, Raw on 5, and Luminae each one night.

We had 9 spa reservations. Great services every time with personal attention each time we arrived. 

Luminae only once for lunch (embarkation day) and three mornings for breakfast. Great food and service. 

Room service breakfast the rest of the time was FAST and accurate, with cappuccinos arriving HOT right as butler delivered food and set the dining table.

Our butler took care of all laundry and dry cleaning, walking us off on one of the port days (which appeared to cut an enormous line). In fact, our butler would pop up around the ship right wherever we'd be (in a restaurant, in the Retreat lounge, on the Retreat sundeck, in the spa, Cafe al Bacio, etc, and kept us informed about our days/nights. Excellent service.

Ditto for our room steward. Filled, drained, cleaned our hot tub twice daily. Immaculate room at all times. Great service.

Shoreside had room stocked with the very specific drinks I ordered and specific bowl of berries desired on embarkation. Every day the fridge was refilled and a new bowl of chilled berries arrived. Never asked. Always just done.

Asked once for a small cheese plate to go with a champagne on one of our afteroons spent on our balcony. Arrived back to room with an incredible variety of great quality cheeses with beautiful presentation. 

Every afternoon, we also received a nice box of sweets. One day was a super delicious box of gold laced chocolate bark. Every other day, likewise really nice items.

The Retreat servers were around always, lounge and sundeck. Especially sundeck.

Our balcony hot tub, IMO, far superior to the hot tubs on the Retreat sundeck. Certainly more private. But, the Retreat pool was really nice.

We had a list of full bottle champagnes we wanted with different dinners, so I indicated that to shoreside and they made sure it was lined up. In fact, on night one, Le Voyage sommelier indicated that they had to locate the one I ordered for that night. But, they got it and it arrived chilled perfectly. Most awesome embarkation night dinner!

You could do a small ship/yacht cruise for similar price, but my S.O. gets seasick on those small ones. Just can't do it.

This was a trial run for us, at once to see how my S.O. would do on this large ship, but also to vet this stateroom and Retreat and ship.

Side note: My S.O. and I appreciate the time, patience, and effort of staff. We commend them at every opportunity and try to recognize them in ways that we know will likely be of value to them.

We're back in same cabin for an 11-night out of Rome in August.

Celebrity, you're a cool kid! We like you.

Peace and kindness to all.

Edited by 4-2-N-8

7 hours ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Can't offer comparison on Celebrity to "the before times," but I can offer insight to first impressions on Beyond from a 7-night late Jan/early Feb sailing out of PE in the Retreat.

Superb.

Both shoreside Retreat and shoreside spa company took care of all reservations and times. Dined Le Voyage first and last nights, while did Eden, Fine Cut, LPC, Raw on 5, and Luminae each one night.

We had 9 spa reservations. Great services every time with personal attention each time we arrived. 

Luminae only once for lunch (embarkation day) and three mornings for breakfast. Great food and service. 

Room service breakfast the rest of the time was FAST and accurate, with cappuccinos arriving HOT right as butler delivered food and set the dining table.

Our butler took care of all laundry and dry cleaning, walking us off on one of the port days (which appeared to cut an enormous line). In fact, our butler would pop up around the ship right wherever we'd be (in a restaurant, in the Retreat lounge, on the Retreat sundeck, in the spa, Cafe al Bacio, etc, and kept us informed about our days/nights. Excellent service.

Ditto for our room steward. Filled, drained, cleaned our hot tub twice daily. Immaculate room at all times. Great service.

Shoreside had room stocked with the very specific drinks I ordered and specific bowl of berries desired on embarkation. Every day the fridge was refilled and a new bowl of chilled berries arrived. Never asked. Always just done.

Asked once for a small cheese plate to go with a champagne on one of our afteroons spent on our balcony. Arrived back to room with an incredible variety of great quality cheeses with beautiful presentation. 

Every afternoon, we also received a nice box of sweets. One day was a super delicious box of gold laced chocolate bark. Every other day, likewise really nice items.

The Retreat servers were around always, lounge and sundeck. Especially sundeck.

Our balcony hot tub, IMO, far superior to the hot tubs on the Retreat sundeck. Certainly more private. But, the Retreat pool was really nice.

We had a list of full bottle champagnes we wanted with different dinners, so I indicated that to shoreside and they made sure it was lined up. In fact, on night one, Le Voyage sommelier indicated that they had to locate the one I ordered for that night. But, they got it and it arrived chilled perfectly. Most awesome embarkation night dinner!

You could do a small ship/yacht cruise for similar price, but my S.O. gets seasick on those small ones. Just can't do it.

This was a trial run for us, at once to see how my S.O. would do on this large ship, but also to vet this stateroom and Retreat and ship.

Side note: My S.O. and I appreciate the time, patience, and effort of staff. We commend them at every opportunity and try to recognize them in ways that we know will likely be of value to them.

We're back in same cabin for an 11-night out of Rome in August.

Celebrity, you're a cool kid! We like you.

Peace and kindness to all.

Which type of suite did you have?

January 2, 2023 was our first time in Retreat and Luminae on Equinox. We are normally just in a veranda room.  So really can’t compare the retreat to past cruises. But will say all in all it was fabulous. Alfred and Juan Pablo in Luminae were outstanding. Food was incredible and granted there were a few dinners I couldn’t find anything that appealed to me but could order anything. I didn’t see cutbacks on anything. 

We went to retreat bar just once and was nice but seemed stuffy to me. If I got another good deal I’d do it again. 

I was to busy asking about Cranston to relate our own experience. 

I've sailed in the Retreat several times on 4 different ships since the restart, and Retreat service always has been excellent. We're about to sail again in a suite, and I have every confidence it will be excellent again. 

45 minutes ago, FlyingCruiser2 said:

Thanks.  Experiences seem to differ by Suite type.  Our first Celebrity trip will be in April on Constellation in a PH and don’t know what to expect….

Will be in the Constellation PS for the 1st time in October. Please post your thoughts—the great, the good, the bad and the ugly. Tia!😁

8 hours ago, FlyingCruiser2 said:

Thanks.  Experiences seem to differ by Suite type.  Our first Celebrity trip will be in April on Constellation in a PH and don’t know what to expect….

DH &  I have enjoyed 6 sailings in M-class in PH post-covid; the most recent was Dec. 23-Jan7, 2023.  We loved the experience! We requested that the Butler deliver coffee from Al Bacio and pastries every morning by 7 a.m. to the "Butler's Pantry" which has a special entrance separated from the rest of the suite. There is a microwave and fridge/freeze located there.  I asked not to be disturbed (am cranky before my first coffee 🙂 ) before 9:30 a.m.  Go the the thread entitled "Upper Suite Benefits" so learn more.  Enjoy your cruise!!!

8 hours ago, schmidlapp said:

Boarded Reflection today,

Sky suite, Celebrity is at the top of their game so far from butler to bartenders in Micaels club.

Very nice lunch in Luminae.

Headed there for dinner shortly.

More to come...

Is Olympia still running the  bar in the Retreat Lounge? If so could you ask her if she will be there in May. She is one of the best barman we have experienced in the Retreat/Michael's and dare I say it, better even than the amazing Cranston. 

13 hours ago, schmidlapp said:

Sky suite, Celebrity is at the top of their game so far from butler to bartenders in Micaels club.

More to come...

We are on the Reflection next week in a Sky Suite.  By chance did you get a call from the Shoreside Concierge before you sailed?  I have yet to hear anything.  Not a big deal either way, I just have a couple of small requests.  Thanks!!! 

14 hours ago, schmidlapp said:

More to come...

Great to hear!  We board on Sunday and are looking forward to it!

8 minutes ago, workingboy said:

We are on the Reflection next week in a Sky Suite.  By chance did you get a call from the Shoreside Concierge before you sailed?  I have yet to hear anything.  Not a big deal either way, I just have a couple of small requests.  Thanks!!! 

Typically, you don't get a call if you are in a Sky Suite or Celebrity Suite (although it has been known to happen).  You always can give them a call, though. 1-877-RETREAT.  See you on board!

22 minutes ago, workingboy said:

Sky suites generally don't get a call from shoreside. However, ff you need something you could always call 1-877-RETREAT. Or just wait until you board, as shoreside requests don't always make it to the ship and you'd have to repeat your request anyway.

Edited by dcbiker97

17 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

Typically, you don't get a call if you are in a Sky Suite or Celebrity Suite (although it has been known to happen).  You always can give them a call, though. 1-877-RETREAT.  See you on board!

We were in a CS recently and got a shoreside concierge call about two weeks prior to the cruise.  We have never received a call when sailing in a Sky.

On 2/17/2023 at 9:14 AM, JDPCruisers said:

Have been reading many posts on how much food quality, quantity and service have demised (in some cases significantly across the X fleet) and curious about Retreat booked guests experience this year? 

Have you experienced a decrease in food, service, suite, room attendant, Butler or anything else this year as Retreat guests and around the ship?

Off the Solstice a couple of weeks ago, was in a sky suite.  Luminae food & service was very good, sommelier was just OK.  Didn't find Michael's Club location all that useful, was spoiled by Apex Retreat last April.  Other than having a better sommelier on Apex, Luminae experience was not "downgraded" in any way.  Retreat is definitely a step up on Edge class due to location of the lounge and the Retreat sundeck (compared to Solstice class).

9 hours ago, groryjm said:

Is Olympia still running the  bar in the Retreat Lounge? If so could you ask her if she will be there in May. She is one of the best barman we have experienced in the Retreat/Michael's and dare I say it, better even than the amazing Cranston. 

Yes, Both Olympia and Cranston are in Michael's club.

Service there has been over the top excellent. 

I'll ask her how long her contract is.

Only our 2nd day, quite frankly in every venue we've experienced very good to excellent service. 

We had lunch in OV cafe today,

Great variety, from wings to ribs to roast Turkey,  fresh sandwiches, pizza, salad bar and much more. My wife is hobbling around,  knee replacement coming in a few weeks. Staff has been over the top helpful for her as well.

So far many of the CC complaints I've been reading are a non issue. 

• Thanks 2

On 2/17/2023 at 7:44 AM, ehall said:

We were on the summit a few weeks ago.  It was fantastic.  Actually better service than on Apex in 2022.  By better I mean more personalized, and the food seemed a bit better than in Apex.  I think this is due to the size of the ship and number of suites (passengers vs staff).

We don't ask for a lot of attention - but in the dining room on APex, I felt that we were seated with a different waiter each evening.  On Summit, we had the same table and waiter each evening and breakfast.  They knew I did not car for onions/chives and would leave them out if possible or tell me if it was not possible so I could choose something else (or if they were in big chunks and I could just pick around them) (don't judge - it's my one thing).  Little things like that.

The staff in the Retreat lounge on Summit made very good drinks - martinis perfectly chilled.  On Apex - we had to ask for ice cubes - drinks were never cold despite asking.

I think it is just the sheer number of passengers versus the number of staff on Apex vs Summit.

We had the same waiter on Apex for 21 days in 2022.  He was fantastic, but IMHO, the food was lacking in my personal choices.  Also, could not order Chateaubriand for two, as we always could during previous cruises, but that was fine, just disappointing, as it was our anniversary.  The hostess was just annoying and talked continually, played favorites and I actually had to tell her to please just let us eat.  Never, ever has this happened to my DH and I in Luminae. TBH, we thought it was just because she was new, until it actually got worse.  We finally had to go above her and share information, as it was a daily encounter.  We did not eat breakfast or lunch there, but mostly due to our own choice and where/what we were doing.  Everything else was great onboard and we were treated very well, so it was just very odd that this strange encounter happened to us.  We just moved on and didn’t let it ruin our dining experience, saying that maybe she needed more training...

Edited by Lastdance
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2023 at 1:06 PM, peanut head said:

Will be in the Constellation PS for the 1st time in October. Please post your thoughts—the great, the good, the bad and the ugly. Tia!😁

Planned on doing that and more….our last two cruises were Virgin in a “Massive Suite” (booked before they raised prices so that only Richard himself can afford it) and on Holland in a Pinnacle.  Planned on posting comparisons of the three.  

On 2/19/2023 at 12:06 PM, peanut head said:

You will definitely be treated like royalty, we did a penthouse on edge and did royal suite a couple of times on M class like yours, free specialty restaurants, your choice of liquor you get two liters of upscale liquor, fridge will be stocked daily with your choice of beer, soda and mixers . We are doing summit again in a few weeks in royal suite.

10 hours ago, DCPIV said:

DCPIV has it right.   Usually only RS and PS are contacted boy Shoreside.

We are on Reflection in October and from the feedback hope Olympia and Cranston are in Michael's club as we've not had them before. 

Also, not sure if anyone has had Walter as their Butler but we did on Apex last April and he was wonderful. He said he wanted to get back on Reflection and he didn't particularly care for the bigger ships. Hope he makes it back to Reflection for October.

On 2/20/2023 at 6:46 AM, DCPIV said:

On 2/20/2023 at 6:58 AM, dcbiker97 said:

Sky suites generally don't get a call from shoreside. However, ff you need something you could always call 1-877-RETREAT. Or just wait until you board, as shoreside requests don't always make it to the ship and you'd have to repeat your request anyway.

Previously sailed on EDGE and APEX in a Sky Suite. Got a call from Shoreside Concierge about 2 week prior to APEX cruise last April but none of our requests made it to the ship. No problem as a quick chat with the Butler and all were honored. We sail on EDGE this Friday, not call but an email with a form stating our requests. We'll see if this info makes it to the ship. If it does...great...and, if not, we'll have a chat with the butler.