Can we get a relaxed couples cruise out of P&O Adventure, or should we cancel for something else?

The tl;dr is the title — Can we get a relaxed couples cruise out of P&O Adventure, or should we cancel for something else?

For all the gory details… I’m having second thoughts on a cruise we booked this winter (which is Jun-Aug here in Aus). I need help making a decision, cause we can still cancel, and I’m worried we’re doing this wrong.

So, my wife and I are on a super tight budget, and have been saving up to do something nice for a special anniversary.

What we want out of a cruise: rest from our busy lives, a beautiful place to stay, the chance to eat out three times a day at nice venues and have good conversation (just the two of us), maybe a spa treatment for my wife. Something low hassle, all included, for a good price, where neither of us have to cook/clean.

We’re not keen on feeling crowded — our job and our home life are both very people-intensive (we have a very big family). We don’t want to party, and probably don’t want to dress up in costume for something. We don’t have discretionary income to throw at hidden costs and extras. We don’t gamble, and we drink very little. We like a good broadway show, but nothing raunchy / “adult”. If there were an old-school place to dance on board — like actual couples dance — that would be a plus, but not essential.

The cruise we booked, we’re not psyched about the location. We just want a chance to relax. I will say though, the water slide on Adventure is something we’d want to try.

Now, we booked the cruise last winter, before I looked into Aussie cruising much. My wife has been on a few cruises in Europe years ago, on small lines, which she loved. I’ve been on one — but I hated it. I was used to backpacking, and the port stops were so short it felt like a joke to say we were seeing a place. But the port stops aren’t what we want out of this cruise, so that’s no longer a concern. I just want the next adventure to be a good one.

Anyway, I’m wondering if the P&O Adventure is the wrong fit for what we want to do. Since booking, I’ve discovered the Celebrity Edge class ships, and that looks like more what we’re after - centred on fine dining in a beautiful setting. Trouble is, because of work, our best travel dates are winter (Jun-Aug) with Oct-Nov possible — and our budget is very tight. So P&O looks like the most practical option.

Can we get what we want out of a P&O cruise — carve out a relaxed, couples cruise?

Or should we swap to something shore based for this anniversary and save up even more for the next major anniversary, aiming for a spot on Celebrity. (There’s a beautiful NZ cruise I wish we could make work if the dates weren’t Jan-Apr).

I did a cruise on Encounter last year (I think they're very similar?) having previously cruised on Princess, Celebrity, Royal among others.

We like to spend our days relaxing in a quiet spot on the deck, in the sunshine, with a cocktail or 2.  Jazz ourselves up early evening and head downstairs for dinner, maybe a show or some music, a few more cocktails.

We had very low expectations of P&O but honestly?  It was absolutely fine.  The adults only area and sun deck above it at the aft were lovely spots to relax and read.  The food was fine, nothing set our world on fire but the choice of 3 different MDR cuisines kept things interesting, and we had a lovely meal with wonderful service in the 'fine dining' restaurant.  One of the bars was pretty rowdy of an evening but there were more relaxed alternatives, and movies showing on the pool deck.  There was a wonderful little gin bar on Encounter, I don't know if it's on your ship though.

• Thanks 1

We were on pacific encounter in November  - our first P&O Australia cruise.  I was very pleasantly surprised.  We had a suite for less than half the cost of other lines and I think a byron bay minisuite would have been great.   If you can upgrade your booking to one of those I think you would be beyond satisfied - they have the byron bay club which has its own area with cabanas, bar service etc.  The balcony staterooms are smaller than some of the other lines but still fine for 2 people.  I think the food onboard in the complementary restaurants was very good and the upcharge for lukes was very cheap. Here are a few pics.

IMG_5123.PNG

IMG_5126.jpg

IMG_5346 1.jpg

IMG_5318 1.jpg

IMG_5308.jpg

IMG_5309.jpg

IMG_5323.jpg

IMG_5324.jpg

IMG_5326.jpg

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, thebaehrs said:

@clairebearinaus @MicCanberra - based on your Pacific Encounter experience, will it be hard to get a table for two? Is that common or rare? This is all new territory for us. 

We found it very easy for breakfast and lunch, I cannot comment on dinner, as we were travelling with friends and family, and we had dinner together most nights as a table for 6. There were  numerous 2 tops around though. We dined when we liked which was normally around 7-7.45pm and always got a tablewithout a wait  but others we chatted to said anything earlier was hard to do because of the traditional dining starting at 5.30pm.

• Thanks 1

definitely do not be worried.  We too cruised our 1st PO cruise in November and definitely would not hesitate in booking them again.  We found the food good and Luke’s especially fantastic equal to any meal in any fine restaurant.  At night after dinner we would head to the Blue room (I think) and have a cocktail and listen to the music, it was never packed, and an older group.  The lounge (Encounter/Adventure) was very very busy every night so the Blue room suited us.  
I am sure you will enjoy.  We didn’t expect much and PO delivered much much more…we didn’t do the dress up nights, and found we weren’t out of place, some did dress up but the majority didn’t.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thebaehrs said:

@clairebearinaus @MicCanberra - based on your Pacific Encounter experience, will it be hard to get a table for two? Is that common or rare? This is all new territory for us. 

We cruised on the Pacific Encounter twice last year, the last one in November. There were plenty of tables for two in the dining room. We prefer to share with others, but this wasn't an option. At that time, they were seating people only with their own travelling party. This may have changed in the last two months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We did a short 3 nighter on Adventure 3 weeks ago, the variety of food was a big let down for us, the menu was the same every lunch and dinner in the main dining room, the buffet hardly changed......but we have been on plenty of 3 nighters and know they are not comparative to a longer cruise.

We liked what they had done to the adult only aft area, and the updated decor through out the ship.

Nothing much has been done to the cabins though.

You will also not get tissues, face cloths and other amenities that may be supplied on other lines.

We had one hand towel and bathmat and two bath towels, there were a couple of pool towels in the wardrobe area. Surprisingly we had a nightly turn down service which we did not expect.

You will pay for room service, pizza, burgers, seafood, any sweets from the cafe had a charge as well.

As said above the Blue room is lovely, though very understaffed, as were most of the bars.

A lot of the staff were overworked, training new recruits, our dining experience was an experience!!

Dragon Lady was lovely, we had been on Explorer but the way they have done this restaurant was nicer, and a different menu, be prepared for darkness!

If you have booked a balcony, go for deck 10 (Old Caribe deck on Princess) they have larger balconies, half covered half open, if you book aft it is only up two deck to the adults only area.

• Thanks 1

In terms of the variety of food, on the Encounter, the MDR had 3 lunch menus and 3 dinner menus (A,B, & C), you will have  menu A for 3 consecutive days, then menu B for the next 3, and then menu C for another 3 days before reverting back to menu A.some items are repeated on all 3 menus.

Dragon Lady and Angelo's has just the two menus (A & B) and they rotate through each on the 3 day roster.

My advice is eat in each restaurant each 3 days, (I.e. MDR then Dragon Lady and then Angelo's) and repeat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, the Pac Adventure is the former Dawn Princess. Daughter and sil did a new year's cruise to NZ and had a great time to the extent that they have booked another cruise with P&O for later this year. We did many cruises on the Dawn and would have no hesitation of doing another to see what she is like as the Pac Adventure.

• Thanks 1

What type of cabin did you book? Hopefully not an inside (interior) cabin as these are very small. Not conducive to a romantic holiday although I must say I don't know what P&O have done to these cabins. We cruised on her when she was Dawn Princess andcthevonly way the cabin worked effectively was if the beds were set up in twin mode .

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ozziepost said:

Hi, the Pac Adventure is the former Dawn Princess. Daughter and sil did a new year's cruise to NZ and had a great time to the extent that they have booked another cruise with P&O for later this year. We did many cruises on the Dawn and would have no hesitation of doing another to see what she is like as the Pac Adventure.

Pacific Adventure is ex Golden Princess, Grand class, Pacific Explorer is ex Dawn Princess Sun Class, very different ships.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

What type of cabin did you book? Hopefully not an inside (interior) cabin as these are very small. Not conducive to a romantic holiday although I must say I don't know what P&O have done to these cabins. We cruised on her when she was Dawn Princess andcthevonly way the cabin worked effectively was if the beds were set up in twin mode .

As above, Adventure is ex Golden. Larger inside cabins, walk in robe etc standard Grand class layout

I agree for a romantic quiet couple cruise, go for a balcony.

• Thanks 1

Your only other alternative for your anniversary if cruising from Sydney is Carnival Splendor. I would consider Pacific Adventure to be the more relaxing of the two.

Short cruises (comedy, cruises to nowhere, Moreton Island etc) tend to be busier than a cruise to the islands, where the majority of passengers will be more relaxed on holidays than making the most of a short break. 

Dinner time, theatre shows, any activity in the atrium gather a crowd, but for much of the day the ship absorbs passengers. Pretty much the same across most of the main cruise lines.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cheznandy said:

As above, Adventure is ex Golden. Larger inside cabins, walk in robe etc standard Grand class layout

I agree for a romantic quiet couple cruise, go for a balcony.

I always get them mixed up. 😳 Yes, the Grand Class inside cabins are much bigger.

• Like 1