Just learned my cruise is a Soca cruise

OrangeCatRamblers

I'm sorry you're experiencing stress over this event. It sounds like an interesting cultural event that your kids could learn a lot from. I'm guessing that a lot of the buildup being developed in this thread is conjecture and Cruise Criticers doing their thing. I'm a go to sleep at 9:30 PM kind of guy (even on a cruise), but I'd certainly be comfortable letting it ride. 

There aren't going to be rampant drugs or sex parties all over the place. That's just not happening. 

As for agents not knowing? I wouldn't expect them to. I would expect the Special Events Department to know. Perhaps you could email them to find out some of the details. Or contact the organizers to talk with them about your concerns and find out what they will be doing onboard.

I watched a few videos on YouTube and noticed it's a lot of brown and black folks enjoying themselves, listening to music, dancing (maybe some sexy moves), and just having a great time. I noticed drinks in hand - like every other cruiser out there, except my husband who refuses to try the devil's juice. 

I'd go, find out their schedule and just avoid those public areas when they have a concert/event scheduled, if it's in the open. Annoying? Sure. Worth paying $2,400 to downgrade to a crappy ship like the Pearl? No. Your kid will be about the most bored he's ever been in his life if you do that. 

To paraphrase Bob Marley, badly, feel the rain, don't just get wet. 

• Like 5

Is there a way to reach the Cruise Director?  He may be able to confirm the soca staff will be taking over the pool deck during certain times or not.  The threat of always hearing soca music would annoy me too.  I don’t want to hear constant music while I’m on a cruise to relax, especially if it was not my preferred type of music!

53 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Sure. Worth paying $2,400 to downgrade to a crappy ship like the Pearl? No. Your kid will be about the most bored he's ever been in his life if you do that. 

The CC reviews for Family cruise on Pearl vs Prima do not support your assumption. 

Prima has a one star Family rating. https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=1434

The Pearl has 3.5 star family rating snd overall a higher rating.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=378

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

The CC reviews for Family cruise on Pearl vs Prima do not support your assumption. 

Prima has a one star Family rating. https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=1434

The Pearl has 3.5 star family rating snd overall a higher rating.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=378

102  reviews for Prima vs 2350 for the Pearl.   Not a good data comparison with the Prima being brand new.   Much more for the young ones to do on the larger ships.

Oh, and the kids don't write those reviews.    🙂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

102  reviews for Prima vs 2350 for the Pearl.   Not a good data comparison with the Prima being brand new.   Much more for the young ones to do on the larger ships.

Oh, and the kids don't write those reviews.    🙂

100+ reviews is a statistically valid sample size for opinion-based surveys.  

Agree, under normal circumstances, Prima would likely be a better ship with more for a kid to do.  Just not this sailing.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm sorry you're experiencing stress over this event. It sounds like an interesting cultural event that your kids could learn a lot from. I'm guessing that a lot of the buildup being developed in this thread is conjecture and Cruise Criticers doing their thing. I'm a go to sleep at 9:30 PM kind of guy (even on a cruise), but I'd certainly be comfortable letting it ride. 

There aren't going to be rampant drugs or sex parties all over the place. That's just not happening. 

As for agents not knowing? I wouldn't expect them to. I would expect the Special Events Department to know. Perhaps you could email them to find out some of the details. Or contact the organizers to talk with them about your concerns and find out what they will be doing onboard.

I watched a few videos on YouTube and noticed it's a lot of brown and black folks enjoying themselves, listening to music, dancing (maybe some sexy moves), and just having a great time. I noticed drinks in hand - like every other cruiser out there, except my husband who refuses to try the devil's juice. 

I'd go, find out their schedule and just avoid those public areas when they have a concert/event scheduled, if it's in the open. Annoying? Sure. Worth paying $2,400 to downgrade to a crappy ship like the Pearl? No. Your kid will be about the most bored he's ever been in his life if you do that. 

To paraphrase Bob Marley, badly, feel the rain, don't just get wet. 

We are on the Pearl in April. Thankfully we dock the day this cruise leaves.

Have you sailed on the Pearl? Wonder if you have a bad time on this ship? We have been on the Gem 3 times and enjoyed it each time, understand the Pearl is the same style?

Traveling with 2 adult sons, and our 13 year old grandson.

41 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

We are on the Pearl in April. Thankfully we dock the day this cruise leaves.

Have you sailed on the Pearl? Wonder if you have a bad time on this ship? We have been on the Gem 3 times and enjoyed it each time, understand the Pearl is the same style?

Traveling with 2 adult sons, and our 13 year old grandson.

Haha, thanks for calling out my self-aggrandizing! No, please don't take my word for it! I was embellishing, because the Pearl doesn't have a Haven Restaurant. I know I didn't state that, but that's why I said that. I've never sailed the Pearl. 

The Gem and Pearl are the same class of ship (Jewel). I'm sure you'll have an amazing time! Read those reviews @laudergayle mentioned. They'll tell you a lot more about the ship than I ever could. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Haha, thanks for calling out my self-aggrandizing! No, please don't take my word for it! I was embellishing, because the Pearl doesn't have a Haven Restaurant. I know I didn't state that, but that's why I said that. I've never sailed the Pearl. 

The Gem and Pearl are the same class of ship (Jewel). I'm sure you'll have an amazing time! Read those reviews @laudergayle mentioned. They'll tell you a lot more about the ship than I ever could. 

Thanks, been in the Haven only once on the Gem, looking forward to this on the Pearl, been a long time coming.

19 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I love your honesty and humor🤓

On 2/20/2023 at 7:45 PM, OrangeCatRamblers said:

Any feedback on just finding out my April 16th cruise on the Prima will be hosting a chartered Soca cruise. It looks like it's possible the music and parties will be 24/7, on the pool deck, in the hallways. 

It's also April vacation for NE schools so possibly a lot of young families planning to go.  I'm looking at other reviews of Soca cruises and YouTube videos and it really does look like a nonstop party.

Screenshot_20230220-194206.png

OMG, why isn't this an entire ship charter?!

• Like 1

I watched the videos and it looks like a h#ll of a party! I just don't cruise to party anymore, I cruise to relax. And most of us in this forum are regular cruisers who have their own routine and expectations, so I understand the frustration. 

Looks like these have been happening for several years. So I'm surprised there's no other mentions of it on cruise critic. I feel like if it has been an enormous problem in the past, we'd be able to find other posts on it when searching the forum. (Or the web and other social media...)

So maybe it won't really be a big deal, and easy to avoid crowds? It really could be some fun music and people watching. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Worth paying $2,400 to downgrade to a crappy ship like the Pearl? No. Your kid will be about the most bored he's ever been in his life if you do that. 

So tell us about your experience on Pearl?

We took our grandson on it last April and had such a great time we’re taking him again this April (the week before this cruise which I’m sorry about because I’d love to meet @OrangeCatRamblers

Our grandson was not the “most bored of his life” in fact he couldn’t stop talking about the friends he made and how much fun he had. 

Not every kid (or adult for that matter) needs a go kart track and water slides on a cruise ship to not be bored.

Most kids are happy to have the experience of being taken on a cruise.

I was a lot older than 8 when I went on my first cruise. 

Pearl may be an older ship but she is far from “crappy” as you said. 

Edited by styles27
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, Monica887 said:

Looks like these have been happening for several years. So I'm surprised there's no other mentions of it on cruise critic. I feel like if it has been an enormous problem in the past, we'd be able to find other posts on it when searching the forum. (Or the web and other social media...)

I was a little confused at first, too.  But I believe the difference is the first several cruises (Ubersoca) have been and are on fully chartered ships.  This appears to be a rouge (private) group—not chartered. Unless this CC post has raised NCL awareness of which they may now be acknowledging it based on post #92.

10 minutes ago, quercus alba said:

If this was directed at us at all, just click either of the review links in my signature.

07-19-2015 Norwegian Pearl--Alaska [Review]

03-24-2013 Norwegian Pearl--Caribbean [Review]

It wasn’t that’s why I quoted a specific person who called it crappy 

I happen to love Pearl🤷🏻‍♀️

Going on her again in April. 

Edited by styles27
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

According to another passenger on that other social media website, the Soca group has a pool party planned for the Haven infinity pool. 

How is this not a full-ship takeover?

Pretty sure that isn't going to happen.  Have to be in a Haven Suite to access any Haven area, especially the pool.  And I highly doubt NCL or the Haven Concierge would allow that kind of raucous BS in any Haven area.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

Pretty sure that isn't going to happen.  Have to be in a Haven Suite to access any Haven area, especially the pool.  And I highly doubt NCL or the Haven Concierge would allow that kind of raucous BS in any Haven area.

I agree it won’t happen in the Haven because the concierge will not let it get to that point. 

I don’t doubt that there could be some from that group who booked the Haven thinking they’ll get their friends in. 

• Like 1