Just learned my cruise is a Soca cruise

OrangeCatRamblers

1 minute ago, JGmf said:

Sympathies to the OP.

It's going to be a louder and more crowded experience than you imagined. No way around that.  Hopefully you have Vibe passes.

Based on the proximity of Vibe to the pool deck, and the volume & duration of the Soca music, I'd assume it will be heard in Vibe. 

Additionally, if Fetetopia requires participants to be over 21, but they are planning on taking over the pools for parties, where does that leave the kids and teens on board? This is not family friendly entertainment. 

4 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Without group status, they can't control public spaces on the ship and reserve them for private parties. Without group status, even if they all go to the pool at the same time, they can't control the music played or the scheduled activities.

Hmmm. Sounds like that would be the case…however, I watched the ubersoca YouTube and, oh my, I was blown away with the mob mentality.  I honestly don’t believe any cruise line could control that group.  It looks like they just takeover and non-soca guests depart quickly.  It’s crazy…and it’s not just one group.  The ubersoca.com cruise is different that Fetetopia Cruise on the Prima.  Ubersoca cruise is NCL Epic 4/9-14, 2033 with two more planned in the fall on RCL 11/11-16 and then 11/16-21, 2023.

Just another thing to research before booking a cruise…gosh.

5 hours ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

Unfortunately the Soca group is not an official charter. They are using independent travel agents to book rooms singly or in small groups. NCL has NO record of this group. It is not sanctioned by NCL. According to NCL, it is not happening. Yet the group is planning private parties and pool deck takeovers. 

I guess you've got a few choices. Either switch to a different ship or cancel completely.

Or.... document all of your attempts to find information about the group and what NCL is planning on doing to address your concerns regarding noise, crowds, non-family friendly behavior, etc. Get it in writing your concerns, and any communication back from them. Then bring that letter with you on the ship. If a problem comes up, go to guest services while on board and have an idea of what you want in terms of resolution in mind. Either relocating to a different cabin if your area is too noisy because of the crowds, compensation for not being able to use the kids activities, pools, partial refund as a FCC since this was not the cruise you envisioned taking and had expressed your concerns ahead of time.

I'm ok with groups there to have fun, but my idea of fun seems to be different from that particular group. I'd be fine with some furries. I'd even be fine with the Star Trek folks who are hopping on the cruise ship next to us when we embark in LA 3 days from now... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

I guess you've got a few choices. Either switch to a different ship or cancel completely.

Or.... document all of your attempts to find information about the group and what NCL is planning on doing to address your concerns regarding noise, crowds, non-family friendly behavior, etc. Get it in writing your concerns, and any communication back from them. Then bring that letter with you on the ship. If a problem comes up, go to guest services while on board and have an idea of what you want in terms of resolution in mind. Either relocating to a different cabin if your area is too noisy because of the crowds, compensation for not being able to use the kids activities, pools, partial refund as a FCC since this was not the cruise you envisioned taking and had expressed your concerns ahead of time.

I'm ok with groups there to have fun, but my idea of fun seems to be different from that particular group. I'd be fine with some furries. I'd even be fine with the Star Trek folks who are hopping on the cruise ship next to us when we embark in LA 3 days from now... 

It definitely seems like it will be a headache either way. Either suffer through the parties/vaping/takeover and hope to complain on board??? Or pay the $2400 penalty to switch ships. 

Ideally we wouldn't have to pay to switch and downgrade from the Prima to the Pearl. I wish I could find some more information about how to switch without a penalty. 

• Like 1

I just chatted with an agent and got nowhere.  She said that there are plenty of activities and space for both charter and non-charter guests.  She could not provide me any details on their itinerary or any information about the charter.

• Like 1

I think the volume and full takeover of the Soca group is going to be a bigger challenge than people in costume. They are planning to takeover all public music on the ship, and the volume and duration will be intense. Look on YouTube for "Uber Soca cruise". 

How do they take over the public music on the ship?

6 hours ago, bedfordmom said:

On one of my Repos on the Dawn from Boston was a Furrie group. Most guests on the roll call  were upset and a couple cancelled. The Furries ended up being a light hearted fun group that just happened to like dressing up in these large furry costumes. Why they want to dress up like that in the Carribean is beyond me.

If I understand it correctly, furries dress this way for group events, as well as for intimate activity.  Not sure how it works for the latter, but I assume there is air conditioning involved.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Thank you, I will try calling. However, this group did not go through ANY official NCL channels, so there simply is no record of the #s. They booked independently using many different travel agents. 

I have a question if this group isn't a NCL theme cruise how can they control the music at the pool or Any venue for that matter?

Just wondering.

• Like 1

The only thing that can be done is to unleash CruiseCritic's most powerful, intimidating, indomitable force--the one, the only...The Chair Hogs.

Every morning at dawn they will descend on the pool decks, towels, books, and flip flops in hand...umm, feet.

They will mark every lounger. Occupy every inch of space. Monopolize every barstool.
No soca will penetrate! 

Arise CruiseCritics! This is your Call! This is what YOU WERE MADE FOR!
This is our Moment! This is our Finest Hour!

• Haha 18

48 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

I have a question if this group isn't a NCL theme cruise how can they control the music at the pool or Any venue for that matter?

Just wondering.

That’s what I’m wondering also. They are traveling with their own musicians who will be playing in Bermuda so do they just start playing on the pool deck whenever they feel like it?  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Just wondering.

Google ubersoca on YouTube.  Once you watch the videos you’ll see how their party mob behavior can overtake typical organization.  Personally I find it disturbing.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, shof515 said:

This article is dated April 2022, Norwegian should be more aware about this type of cruise and it should be a full ship charter

https://www.prweb.com/releases/2022/04/prweb18619751.htm

Another soca group has chartered the Epic in mid April which is a totally private cruise. Not sure how this is going to work, maybe with this group literally taking over venues en mass unpredictably? I booked this cruise in 2021 and since we're past final payment and changing is pretty much past considering flights, etc. Hope I don't have to spend my time at guest services complaining about things or feel trapped in the cabin...want to make the best of it.

9 hours ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

Please help me with the next step. I spoke to a rep, I spoke to a supervisor. They have no record of this group. They can't help me because they see no problem. I was offered a cancellation or a switch to the Pearl (big downgrade from the Prima) both for about $2k. I really, really don't know what to do next. 

My sympathies to the OP.  I did check out SOCA cruises on YouTube.  Not my cup of tea.  I understand the frustration.

From what I understand, you were given three options by NCL (status quo, canceling or switching to the Pearl).  

@OrangeCatRamblers Had you purchased cancel for any reason travel insurance?  It might be an alternative.

If not, IMHO, switch the family cruise to the Pearl.  Memories are the best part of family trips.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bellevuemountain said:

IMHO, switch the family cruise to the Pearl.  Memories are the best part of family trips.

I concur.  The difference of $2000 may be worth it vs sacrificing what you already have invested in a very unfriendly family environment.  I would continue to bark up the NCL corporate ladder—letters and e-mails to Corporate PR and Kathy Byrd, Sr VP Guest Services.  I wish you success in getting reimbursed for the change.  It’s def a crappy situation for you and others on this cruise.

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, shof515 said:

This article is dated April 2022, Norwegian should be more aware about this type of cruise and it should be a full ship charter

https://www.prweb.com/releases/2022/04/prweb18619751.htm

Reading this.... I never thought of Norfolk having "Pristine Sand" I also never considered Bermuda as being part of the Caribbean Lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I am leaning towards paying the $2400 to switch to the Pearl. A huge part of our family cruise is giving my 15yo the freedom to roam. I am not comfortable giving him that freedom with the Soca takeover. From the YouTube videos I've seen, the drug use is going to be prevalent at the pool parties.  

I know this is very "f your feelings" but I do feel like I'm being punished for wanting to avoid a situation that is not family friendly. I still can't believe any one group has the power to change the atmosphere of a cruise so substantially. It just feels extremely unfair. 

I'm not a pearl clutcher. Please look at the YouTube videos of "Uber Soca Cruise." 

Edited by OrangeCatRamblers
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

I am leaning towards paying the $2400 to switch to the Pearl. A huge part of our family cruise is giving my 15yo the freedom to roam. I am not comfortable giving him that freedom with the Soca takeover. From the YouTube videos I've seen, the drug use is going to be prevalent at the pool parties.  

I know this is very "f your feelings" but I do feel like I'm being punished for wanting to avoid a situation that is not family friendly. I still can't believe any one group has the power to change the atmosphere of a cruise so substantially. It just feels extremely unfair. 

I'm not a pearl clutcher. Please look at the YouTube videos of "Uber Soca Cruise." 

I completely get it and would not be happy at all.   I would pursue changing ships and getting NCL to waive the penalty by sending them all of the information and videos you have found.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

. I still can't believe any one group has the power to change the atmosphere of a cruise so substantially. It just feels extremely unfair. 

LOL - hang around.

Sooner or later, there will be a thread asking to verify what cruise dates to avoid from NYC ports in January 2024.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

@OrangeCatRamblersI also get it.  But I don’t think you are being punished, I’m sorry you feel that way.  I was trying to figure out how to make it less frustrating for you (I fully understand you).  I pretended to be the one booking.  I checked out the price difference (mock booking) for those sailing dates between the Prima and the Pearl to Bermuda. It is indeed about 2k more on the Pearl.  In that sense, there is no penalty fee.  The Prima was priced accordingly to what would be available onboard.  Frustrating? Absolutely.    Unfair? I am not so sure.  You should have peace of mind on your vacation.  I don’t think you will be comfortable onboard the Prima with your teenage son roaming the ship.  Keep us posted on your final decision.

2 hours ago, laudergayle said:

I concur.  The difference of $2000 may be worth it vs sacrificing what you already have invested in a very unfriendly family environment.  I would continue to bark up the NCL corporate ladder—letters and e-mails to Corporate PR and Kathy Byrd, Sr VP Guest Services.  I wish you success in getting reimbursed for the change.  It’s def a crappy situation for you and others on this cruise.

These are pretty wild recommendations based on unsubstantiated fear mongering.  We have been on partial charters, and while annoying, would never ever consider paying to move to another cruise. And after the cruise would not consider a crappy situation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

These are pretty wild recommendations based on unsubstantiated fear mongering.  We have been on partial charters, and while annoying, would never ever consider paying to move to another cruise. And after the cruise would not consider a crappy situation. 

If this was a group of real estate agents, or quilters, or crossword puzzlers, I would not be changing plans. Unless you've seen the YouTube videos of Soca cruises, it's difficult to envision the scale here. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

Based on the proximity of Vibe to the pool deck, and the volume & duration of the Soca music, I'd assume it will be heard in Vibe. 

Hmmmm.  Other than being “outside” the Vibe is not near the pool deck. There are outdoor eating areas, Palomar restaurant, Food Republic restaurant and the entire buffet between the two locations.