Just learned my cruise is a Soca cruise

OrangeCatRamblers

12 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

Pretty sure that isn't going to happen.  Have to be in a Haven Suite to access any Haven area, especially the pool.  And I highly doubt NCL or the Haven Concierge would allow that kind of raucous BS in any Haven area.

Interesting, though, that is the only cruise in April showing the Haven as SOLD OUT. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Haha, thanks for calling out my self-aggrandizing! No, please don't take my word for it! I was embellishing, because the Pearl doesn't have a Haven Restaurant. I know I didn't state that, but that's why I said that. I've never sailed the Pearl. 

The Gem and Pearl are the same class of ship (Jewel). I'm sure you'll have an amazing time! Read those reviews @laudergayle mentioned. They'll tell you a lot more about the ship than I ever could. 

44 minutes ago, styles27 said:

So tell us about your experience on Pearl?

We took our grandson on it last April and had such a great time we’re taking him again this April (the week before this cruise which I’m sorry about because I’d love to meet @OrangeCatRamblers

Our grandson was not the “most bored of his life” in fact he couldn’t stop talking about the friends he made and how much fun he had. 

Not every kid (or adult for that matter) needs a go kart track and water slides on a cruise ship to not be bored.

Most kids are happy to have the experience of being taken on a cruise.

I was a lot older than 8 when I went on my first cruise. 

Pearl may be an older ship but she is far from “crappy” as you said. 

See my post I quoted above. I'm glad you had a great experience with your grandson! He's fortunate to have grandparents that take him cruising. 

For me, and only for me (and my husband), a ship without the Haven Restaurant is "crappy," ergo my post and quoted post, above. It's a must for us. 

Unfortunately for me, I'm a fatty so can't take advantage of the upcharge go karts or the included water slides. I'm hoping to score a ton of points at laser tag next month though!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

I really encourage you to watch the YouTube videos 

I have sailed on the Prima twice and understand exactly where the Vibe is located in relationship to the pool deck. And, as an engineer, understanding the barriers between the pool and Vibe that would preclude transmission of a large amount of sound. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

According to another passenger on that other social media website, the Soca group has a pool party planned for the Haven infinity pool. 

How is this not a full-ship takeover?

A party here. A party there. With the remainder of the ship fully open to other passengers is not a "full ship takeover". 

• Like 1

I have emailed both the group organizing Fetetopia and the cruiseline to request some clarification on what may be expected.  Unfortunately, when there is little concrete information, we are left to fill in the blanks...Which can often lead to frustration and worry.  Hopefully some communication will help make expectations clear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Htomlin41203 said:

I have emailed both the group organizing Fetetopia and the cruiseline to request some clarification on what may be expected.  Unfortunately, when there is little concrete information, we are left to fill in the blanks...Which can often lead to frustration and worry.  Hopefully some communication will help make expectations clear.

I did the same, please keep us posted. I also messaged cruise director Simon on Instagram, a long shot but you never know...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

I did the same, please keep us posted. I also messaged cruise director Simon on Instagram, a long shot but you never know...

Last evening I posted another response from the NCL rep I hope you saw it. (It’s on the previous page)
This thread has taken off and I don’t want you to miss the info they provided. 

15 hours ago, craig01020 said:

OMG, why isn't this an entire ship charter?!

That’s crazy.  Any group that’s going to be this disruptive should be required to charter the whole ship.  I’m not saying cruises have to be quiet, but judging from videos of their cruises, this seems like it’s going to be loud and crazy

• Like 4

On 2/22/2023 at 12:15 PM, laudergayle said:

Call it what you will. I certainly wouldn’t want my underaged children exposed to this particular party atmosphere while on a family vacation.  

It appears that some of the bigger events they have are on land. So maybe it won't be so bad on the ship? Some of it could be fun music to hear on a Caribbean cruise. If they use the pool area at night, maybe the rest of the ship will be more quiet and enjoyable?

That said, I would not like to be on a ship with that big of a group, and agree that they should charter the whole ship. I watch a lot of cruise vloggers on You tube, but still would not have liked being on a ship with all those vloggers walking around filming on the recent vloggers cruise. We were on an RCCL cruise once that had a music group cruise on board. A lot of the group liked to hang out in the Schooner Lounge each night and we never got to sit in there once. The only good thing was that after their group went in the theater for a Beach Boys concert, they let the rest of go in. It was a good show. 

I hate to get cancelled for a charter, but it can be hard to be around a large group that you are not part of. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Cruising Lynne said:

It appears that some of the bigger events they have are on land. So maybe it won't be so bad on the ship? Some of it could be fun music to hear on a Caribbean cruise. If they use the pool area at night, maybe the rest of the ship will be more quiet and enjoyable?

Perhaps.  Only time (and reviews) will tell.  I feel badly for the OP who has to make a decision on unknown information.  It’s a 50/50 chance that this will be the Family Cruise they envisioned (based on how NCL advertises the Family Cruise).  I hope whatever decision they make turns out to be a wonderful experience.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

A fellow passenger on the FB roll call spoke with someone at NCL who confirmed a pool party in the infinity pool on deck 16, would that be the Haven? At this point, the Fetetopia group has parties planned for all pools.

Deck 16 is the Haven. How can they book that if they are not in the Haven? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

Is it possible they ARE the Haven? The group has about a dozen performers who are doing concerts "on land" at the Dockyard in Bermuda. If they are very high profile, maybe they are all in the Haven.

That could be. The Haven is sold out. Would they be able to invite pax  outside the Haven though? Are there zero Haveners (is that a word?😂) outside of the group on that cruise? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

I just had the very brilliant brainstorm to ask on the roll call if anyone is in the Haven, maybe they can get info from butlers or concierge.

NCL butlers and concierge do not communicate with anyone that is not on the ship (which is different than Royal). They have a pre cruise call center (who is the same as general call center) 

Just now, BirdTravels said:

NCL butlers and concierge do not communicate with anyone that is not on the ship (which is different than Royal). They have a pre cruise call center (who is the same as general call center) 

Great! I hope we can get more info using all available avenues. More info is definitely better than less! 

19 minutes ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

Is it possible they ARE the Haven? The group has about a dozen performers who are doing concerts "on land" at the Dockyard in Bermuda. If they are very high profile, maybe they are all in the Haven.

Look at my Post #5 on page 1 to see what cabin classes they are selling. It is NOT the Haven. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Htomlin41203 said:

I have emailed both the group organizing Fetetopia and the cruiseline to request some clarification on what may be expected.  Unfortunately, when there is little concrete information, we are left to fill in the blanks...Which can often lead to frustration and worry.  Hopefully some communication will help make expectations clear

Communication?  From NCL?  Don't hold your breath.  NCL is notoriously bad about communication. 

9 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Look at my Post #5 on page 1 to see what cabin classes they are selling. It is NOT the Haven. 

That's what they are selling now.  Haven could have been booked for performers, organizers, etc long ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, coscab said:

I remember reading a few years back that the morning they cleared the ship after one of the music cruises it took them a long time to clean up the ship so embarkation was held up for the following cruise.

Well, I'm on the Prima sailing immediately after this Soca cruise, so I'm hoping for a routine embarkation and that the staff is not completely wiped out.  On the plus side, I'll get to hear some great stories if this group is as lively as the limited videos and marketing indicate.

• Like 1