Just learned my cruise is a Soca cruise

OrangeCatRamblers

31 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Look at my Post #5 on page 1 to see what cabin classes they are selling. It is NOT the Haven. 

Haven is sold out so it makes sense that they’re not advertising that class of rooms. 

46 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

That could be. The Haven is sold out. Would they be able to invite pax  outside the Haven though? Are there zero Haveners (is that a word?😂) outside of the group on that cruise? 

No not normally.

However if they have booked all of the Haven rooms maybe an exception is being made. 

I really doubt it though. 

I wonder if the folks who are booking as part of the Fetetopia know that this sailing is open to anyone and not exclusively chartered?

If I were booking this cruise to participate in the Fetetopia I might be surprised that the cruise was not chartered. From the description of the events on their website, you might think your Fetetopia group had access to all the parts of the ship without sharing. Just my two cents.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Burrata said:

I wonder if the folks who are booking as part of the Fetetopia know that this sailing is open to anyone and not exclusively chartered?

If I were booking this cruise to participate in the Fetetopia I might be surprised that the cruise was not chartered. From the description of the events on their website, you might think your Fetetopia group had access to all the parts of the ship without sharing. Just my two cents.

I agree with you one million percent and that is why I've reached out to the organizers through every possible channel being like "Hi! Looking for any info you'd like to share about your events on board, since I'm sailing with you! And it's school vacation week! With lots of kids and families! Can't wait to hear more!" 

• Like 6

I would change my plans in one second if I had any reservations at all concerning whether or not my family and I wound be able to enjoy our vacation to the fullest. Quality time with family is the only concern and I'd do whatever it took to make the change. Peace of mind goes a long way.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

Yes, many in our group on the other page all received the same exact boilerplate response from emailing both events and kbyrd

Screenshot_20230224-104649~2.png

Hmmm interesting. 

I guess our question as to how large the group is will go unanswered. 
If it’s a group of 100 vs 1000 that’s not such a big deal but they’re advertising multiple musicians so who knows how disruptive this can get. 

I’m sorry I feel bad that you’re in this position. 

We were surprised when boarding with a large charter group one time on a RCCL cruise.

It ended up being okay and we had fun.

It was a Halloween Drag/LGBQT cruise, and some of the nicest fellow passengers we ever cruised with. Not disruptive at all. 

It was actually the most fun we’ve ever had on a cruise. 

I listened to a sample of the music from your cruise and I don’t think I could stand that every day.
It’s a tough decision for you I don’t envy you. 

3 hours ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

Yes, many in our group on the other page all received the same exact boilerplate response from emailing both events and kbyrd

Screenshot_20230224-104649~2.png

That is really a lot of words saying NOTHING. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 2

On 2/20/2023 at 11:56 PM, Sailing12Away said:

I feel old.... what is Soca? All I can think of is southern comfort, but that would be Soco...

I thought the same thing.  Yet few can describe it and just say look on youtube.  Soca must stand for something, no?

I googled and only could find its some sort of Music Festival that is promoted during Black Spring Break.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

What remains unclear is whether or not the Soca group can "privatize" the pool deck as they have planned. 

I highly doubt it, the Prima does not have the “standard pool deck” as the links you’ve referred to on YouTube about Soca cruises.  From what I have understood, about 20 people can fit comfortably in / around the public infinity pool.  Go check the deck plans of the Prima on NCL, infinity beach is on deck 8.  It can get crowded without much happening 😁.  With all of the information you have been provided, I’m guessing you will be able to reach the decision you are comfortable with.  Staying onboard the Prima, and go with the flow… or switching to the Pearl.

1 minute ago, laudergayle said:

I may be mistaken but I believe I read where it stood for southern Caribbean, thus the steel drums, maracas, island music vibe.

The cruise wont be short on music, that's for sure.  But it probably will be a party boat which will impact those who just want to relax by the pool.  Just another reminder to self to never, ever book a cruise during spring break.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

ever book a cruise during spring break

I think this cruise could be named SBOS…spring break on steroids. I’m sure there are other clever meanings for SBOS…🤣

To OP…sorry to make funny around your dilemma.  I pray you find the right direction.

Edited by laudergayle

3 hours ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

What remains unclear is whether or not the Soca group can "privatize" the pool deck as they have planned. 

Yes. Any venue can be reserved for a private function with coordination with the cruise line (which is has been fully coordinated). I could see the pool deck, Vibe, Haven sundeck, Observation Lounge, The Stadium, the go kart track, the Hudson MDR, the Commadore MDR, the Theater (both as a theater and in the disco configuration) all being closed during various times during the cruise for private functions. 

NCL closed some of the above (OL, Theater, Stadium, Go Karts, Dining Rooms) for a convention when we were onboard the Prima. NCL also closed the observation lounge for two private events and a smaller portion of the OL for wedding on our December cruise. 

Edited by BirdTravels

6 hours ago, david_sobe said:

I thought the same thing.  Yet few can describe it and just say look on youtube.  Soca must stand for something, no?

I googled and only could find its some sort of Music Festival that is promoted during Black Spring Break.

Googled Soca music: 

Soca music
Music genre

Description

Soca music is a genre of music defined by Lord Shorty, its inventor, as the "Soul of Calypso", which has influences of African and East Indian rhythms. Wikipedia
Creator: artist Lord Shorty npr.org
Parent genre: Calypso music
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Cruising Lynne said:

Googled Soca music: 

Soca music
Music genre

Description

Soca music is a genre of music defined by Lord Shorty, its inventor, as the "Soul of Calypso", which has influences of African and East Indian rhythms. Wikipedia
Creator: artist Lord Shorty npr.org
Parent genre: Calypso music

@Cruising Lynne thanks! I also had no clue either on what soca meant.  I enjoyed your post, check this out: https://www.masterclass.com/articles/soca-music-guide.  I learned even more… IMHO if I noticed there was a chartered group onboard, I would not be worried and go with the flow.   But then again, I enjoy learning new things.   I first heard about William Belli onboard a cruise… and I do hum certain of his song parodies to this day 😊.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

As an update here, NCL is not aware of what Fetetopia has planned. Their website still claims they are having infinity pool parties and music on board.

Screenshot_20230302-114511.png

So the group is planning it without NCL’s knowledge?  Wow

Either the group is very bold or NCL is full of bologna.