Ship size in Alaska

ljandiernp

I have been looking at Princess cruises in AK. I am wondering if ship size, Grand vs Royal classes, makes any difference in terms of port or scenic cruising access? I have done a lot of reading about cabin choices, lack of promenade deck on Royal class ships, balconies or not, and where on the ship to be if you want various balcony options. I love ships in both of these classes for different reasons, and I can easily make a choice if it's not going to be a hinderance in what I get to see. After all I'm going to Alaska, I want to see all that I can. Thanks in advance for your responses! Laurie

Princess's future is larger ships.  Note they are not building anything in the Grand class ship size right now.  The new Sun Princess is a level of magnitude larger than even the Royals.  I suppose you can look at it a couple of ways: get your cruises in on the Grand class ships before they are traded off, or get used to the Royals and find out how to make them special for your next Alaska cruise.

You'll be happy on either ship class so long as you set your expectations accordingly.  If you want to book an inside cabin and then camp out on a public deck to watch the glaciers or watch the land pass by, you'll want to be on a Grand class ship, and book the week in the Sanctuary so you do have someplace to go during those outdoor observation days.  On the other hand if you are going to be on a Royal, get a balcony and have your own railing to view things from.

Both classes of ships can access ports equally well, although the Royals do take up more room dockside.  That isn't really a passenger concern.

Agree mostly with @jeromep Interesting take.

But the Royal Class Ships out of Vancouver are restricted by tides (going under the Lions Gate Bridge) and too big to transit the Inside Passage.  There aren't any tender ports, so that alleviates a wait time (unless Skagway is a problem or too many ship in Juneau and you have to anchor out).

My vote always goes for the smaller ships.  Much better design.

Ha Ha...you beat me to it!

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Torfamm said:

Royal class ships cannot sail the inside passage the way smaller ships can76D3D236-E291-41B8-B1C4-DE2E0961C52D.thumb.jpeg.6762176b006c09c071f2713b97c9ebca.jpeg

I am comparing Grand and Royal class ships and it appears that the route is the same, at least for May of 2024 for these two classes. This is one of those on the Sapphire: Cruise Details - 7-Day Voyage of the Glaciers (Northbound) - Princess Cruises 

If I did have to take an "outside" passage, how are the seas? Some people report that the inside option is better for those who get seasick. I think it has as much to do with ship size and cabin location, but I'm happy to hear about the experience of others. 

Thanks, Laurie

Personally, I would choose Sapphire Princess over a Royal Class ship. Royal Class ships have pathetic Promenade decks. Sapphire has a full wrap-around Promenade that is extra wide so it can accommodate full loungers as well as people who are walking. Having that extra viewing area in Alaska - especially in Glacier Bay - is a huge plus.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ljandiernp said:

I am comparing Grand and Royal class ships and it appears that the route is the same, at least for May of 2024 for these two classes. This is one of those on the Sapphire: Cruise Details - 7-Day Voyage of the Glaciers (Northbound) - Princess Cruises 

If I did have to take an "outside" passage, how are the seas? Some people report that the inside option is better for those who get seasick. I think it has as much to do with ship size and cabin location, but I'm happy to hear about the experience of others. 

Thanks, Laurie

The route showing on the link you shared is identical to the image I posted, It shows the route for Royal Class ships is on the west side of Vancouver Island. Grand Class ships sail the Inside Passage located on the east side of the Island

On 2/21/2023 at 7:46 PM, Hlitner said:

Our vote goes to the smaller Seabourn ships (400 passenger).  Going to a place like Icy Strait Point, with only 400 passengers, is so much nicer than sharing that place with 3000+ of your friends.

Hank

We are doing AK on the Grand this summer not because we particularly like the ship or any other Princess ship but because we are taking our 11 year old grandson on his coming-of-age AK cruise.  We take each of our grandchildren on an AK cruise w/o their parents when they turn 10 and he is the last one.

We don't think that he would enjoy AK as much on one of the small ships.  I even believe that the 400 passenger Seabourn is too large.  Our 3 best AK cruises were on a 50 passenger catamaran, the 186 passenger Ocean Victory and on one or actually several of the Marine Highway ferries.

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 8:46 PM, Hlitner said:

Our vote goes to the smaller Seabourn ships (400 passenger).  Going to a place like Icy Strait Point, with only 400 passengers, is so much nicer than sharing that place with 3000+ of your friends.

Hank

For the major ports, it is not just a matter of the number on your ship, but the ships in port.  Being the first in Juneau let me enjoy nugget falls before the 3 other ships in port started unloading passengers to the point where even an hour later it would be hard to get a shot without people in the background. The Seabourn crew arrived after a few other bus groups.

E1C10F84-EF69-4780-A194-3E3FD77D3658.thumb.jpeg.8b411eefb313fac62dded08024ac2748.jpeg

I prefer the Grand Class ships. They have a promenade deck for viewing (covered viewing), they do the inside passage as it leaves Vancouver and some have a covered pool.

Wasn't the Royal class ships having a difficult time docking in Ketchikan - they have to approach it differently? They can still dock there but there is something weird about it.

Edited by Coral

On 2/22/2023 at 4:09 PM, ljandiernp said:

Thanks, Laurie

We did the Ruby Princess in 2017 from Seattle (so "outside" passage) and I don't remember it being extremely rough and it was even one of the last sailings in mid-September. But I would definitely try to book as middle of the ship/mid deck as you can; maybe also wear a sea band and bring Dramamine in case!

We are sailing on the Royal this May (also from Seattle); we chose this ship because it does stop in Glacier Bay unlike Discovery Princess but I'm a little bummed that it doesn't have an observation lounge like Ruby had Skywalkers, or a Promenade. Hoping we will still have some good viewing areas.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Coral said:

I prefer the Grand Class ships. They have a promenade deck for viewing (covered viewing), they do the inside passage as it leaves Vancouver and some have a covered pool.

Wasn't the Royal class ships having a difficult time docking in Ketchikan - they have to approach it differently? They can still dock there but there is something weird about it.

Docked in Ketchikan twice in August on the Royal no issue

5 minutes ago, memoak said:

Docked in Ketchikan twice in August on the Royal no issue

There is something odd about the approach - it is different than other ships. I know it can still dock but they have to approach differently.

There is more info here:

https://www.debsdays.com/2019/06/royal-princess-to-alaska-cruise-wrap-up.html

There was a ton of stuff when the ship sailed here the first year.

Edited by Coral

19 hours ago, Coral said:

There is something odd about the approach - it is different than other ships. I know it can still dock but they have to approach differently.

I think the Royal has conventional props and shafts vs the Azipods that have become common on many ships. Not sure if she has stern thrusters to go with her bow thrusters or not. This might help:

https://www.krbd.org/2019/04/18/southeast-alaska-pilots-raise-concerns-over-royal-princess-megaship/