What is allowed???

Traveling Dot

What about a hot water bottle?  Order hot water through room service (or try to fill it yourself in the Lido but there is the issue of using glasses to do so), or try it just with hot tap water.  I took a ice bag on one cruise for my back pain.  It worked very well but it's easier with ice/cold water.

I copied this from the Hal prohibited list:

• Hookah and Water Hookah Pipes, candles and incense, strike-anywhere matches, clothing irons, heating pads, hot plates, kettles, coffee makers, toasters and other electronic cooking appliances.

Here is the link to that page in case anyone is doubting it.

Frequently Asked Questions | Holland America

Search for heating pad on that page.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Thanks 1

Fire hazards to all passenger can and should outweigh any individual passenger's special need.  Apparently, that is  why this plug in heating device got put on the prohibited list.

Hope you can find a safer alternative for similar results. Are their not individual use heating or cold packs - no plug in required. Maybe they have some approved heating pads on board for this use - wiring and electricals checked out, with perhaps on an automatic timer.

Check with special accommodations services to start - let them know what you need. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Traveling Dot said:

Thank you all for your answers.  I will not take it on my cruise.  I will try to find something else that will help.  I might even try acupuncture while I am on the cruise.🤔

Believe me if you could bring one I’d be the first person doing it.  Clearly people would bring it for pain.  They wouldn’t be using it to cook dinner or for giggles.  At home I nuke those pads for my knees.  Also have thermotex that are like a heating pad.  I just end up doing without it on a cruise which sucks big time.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

Looks like it's on the verboten list, I would contact Seattle and tell them you really need it, a doctor's note will help.

Yeah it’s always good to check before answering.  My guess contacting Seattle will do nothing.  People that answer the phones usually say the first thing that comes to mind too.

There are heated tables in the spa area of the ships. (Check to see if your ship has a spa.)  This will require that you get a spa pass, but this "loungers" are worth every penny.  I used to love them when I was on the Noordam. There is also a pool in the spa area for people to use if they have a spa pass.  I never saw more than  1 or 2 people in there at the same time.  It's a lovely, quiet area. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Traveling Dot said:

…I will try to find something else that will help….

You may want to see if a handheld heated massager might help. I believe they are allowed (but doublecheck). They are fairly small and not much larger than a curling iron.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I've traveled with the ThermaCare heat wraps.  I like that they come in so many varieties for various areas of the body.  Plus if you use them during the trip, then you have more room for souvenirs in the suitcase.

• Like 3

Wow.  Thanks for posting this and thanks for the responses.  I hurt my back on a cruise and while in port in Key West I bought a heating pad and brought it onboard.  Now, I won't do that and for some reason, I didn't even think about potential danger from it!  That ThermaCare is a good idea.  I have used them.  Also, good old fashioned Ibuprofen in 800mg has helped as well.  Just a thought.  

• Like 2

Some folks can make do with chemical heating pads such as ThermaWrap (available at most pharmacies).  A few years ago I had a pinched nerve in my neck that caused me lots of pain.  ThermaWraps were a life saver when we went on a cruise. 

Hank

• Like 1

Have you tried topical magnesium (such as Theraworx)? I’ve had foot cramps disappear a few seconds after contact. Or warm epsom salts soaks? The magnesium might help prevent cramps with a warm evening soak.

On one cruise when I was walking funny from hip having muscle spasms, another pax told me he had gotten an ultrasound machine that he travels with. I got one and had my chiropractor (RIP) look at it. It’s not quite as powerful as his, but he had given me instructions on how to use it for various situations as they came up. 

39 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Have you tried topical magnesium (such as Theraworx)? I’ve had foot cramps disappear a few seconds after contact. Or warm epsom salts soaks? The magnesium might help prevent cramps with a warm evening soak.

On one cruise when I was walking funny from hip having muscle spasms, another pax told me he had gotten an ultrasound machine that he travels with. I got one and had my chiropractor (RIP) look at it. It’s not quite as powerful as his, but he had given me instructions on how to use it for various situations as they came up. 

Ultrasound?  I assume you mean tens machine.  I always bring mine with. They are quite small and compact.  I use them daily at home. If not I’ve learned something new again which is great.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Ultrasound?  I assume you mean tens machine.  I always bring mine with. They are quite small and compact.  I use them daily at home. If not I’ve learned something new again which is great.

Nope. Ultrasound. I also have a TENS/ e-stim machine. The one I’m referring to is US.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Thanks 1