Cape Liberty-Closed Roads????

teacherman

We are on Anthem of the Seas out of Cape Liberty on March 26.  We will have 3 cars driving from the Detroit area on Saturday, staying overnight in Stroudsburg, Pa, and then on to Cape Liberty Sunday morning.  Our boarding time is noon.  In looking at Google Maps, I see the final stretch of road into the Cape Liberty area says "road closed, no alternate route,"  Can anyone who lives in the area, or has very recently been on the Anthem explain that to me?  Also, my understanding is that we will drop our luggage at the terminal and then park in the garage, since we are the only ship (I think).  Is this correct?  I am also told that we must take our parking ticket with us onto the ship, since we are to pay at the garage before we get our car when we disembark.  Is this also correct?  We have never driven to this area previously, and I am kind of an "over planner" but also the one coordinating all of this for our family.  And advice/information is most welcome.  Thank you.

I can't speak for the closed roads, but yes, when you drive in you are first routed to drop off your luggage, and then to park. Yes, you want to bring your ticket with you so you can pay at the kiosk prior to returning to your car. If you are in the garage, there is an area for pickup so you don't have to lug all your bags to the car.

1 hour ago, teacherman said:

In looking at Google Maps, I see the final stretch of road into the Cape Liberty area says "road closed, no alternate route,"

I just looked at Google Maps and I didn't see that. Can you be more specific as to where? Which road? Perhaps it was a just a temporary closure due to an accident or fire.

• Like 1

I looked again and it shows a "road closure" until February 28.  It is on I-78 W after you cross the bridge leaving the cruise port.   Perhaps it is some lane re-construction.  If it ends February 28, it should not be a problem for us.  (road construction always finishes on-time🤣🤣🤣)

2 hours ago, teacherman said:

I looked again and it shows a "road closure" until February 28.  It is on I-78 W after you cross the bridge leaving the cruise port.   Perhaps it is some lane re-construction.  If it ends February 28, it should not be a problem for us.  (road construction always finishes on-time🤣🤣🤣)

OK...that's a lane closure on I 78 westbound after leaving Cape Liberty, not going into Cape Liberty, and I see a way around it in an adjacent lane.

10 hours ago, teacherman said:

Can anyone who lives in the area, or has very recently been on the Anthem explain that to me?  Also, my understanding is that we will drop our luggage at the terminal and then park in the garage, since we are the only ship (I think).  Is this correct?  I am also told that we must take our parking ticket with us onto the ship, since we are to pay at the garage before we get our car when we disembark. 

Boarding times were no longer being enforced at Cape Liberty as of at least last October.

78 east will lead to the NJ turnpike. Go to exit 14A. Stay left at the toll plaza, go up the ramp following signs for 440/Chosin Few Way. Where 440 & Chosin Few Way split, despite the small sign pointing to 440 for the terminal, go right onto Chosin Few Way. CFW to the end, left on Goldsborough & 2 miles to the terminal.

Arriving before 10:30 will reduce the time you wait in line approaching the terminal. All vehicles must pass the luggage drop zone before going to the parking garage & lots. With only Anthem sailing in March, you will park in the garage & do take the parking ticket with you. The walk from the garage to the terminal is 1 minute, 2 if a slow walker.

Disembarking, pass through facial recognition then exit right to the parking garage. Employees will be at the pay machines to assist. After paying, get in line for the garage elevators unless you can do stairs with luggage. Usually only 1 of the 2 elevators is operating, surprisingly both were working on a disembarkation date last year.

You will need the parking ticket to raise the gate at the exit. There will be no sign for NJTP via Chosin Few Way, only a street sign. If you pass Costco, you have passed CFW. 440 will take you to NJTP. Right at the traffic light, follow NJTP signs.

Chosin Few Way, 440 and Avenue E all lead to the cruise port but using CFW is the fastest & easiest.

Edited by meadowlander
  • Thanks 1

Kiosk questions -

Is the ticket kiosk in the cruise terminal?

So, the kiosk provides a "paid" receipt to use when exiting the garage?

Is there a long wait to use the kiosks?

Is payment made by credit card only?

Can parking be paid prior to embarking?  This would streamline departure, but could cause other issues.

Is the Pickup area inside the garage?  On the first floor?

Is there an option to avoid facial recognition, like a line with a human being?  I'm sure someone will suggest swimming to shore prior to arrival, but we'd rather not get our luggage wet.  Yes, we know that our ID's and passport's already have our pictures on it, we assume that Royal still takes our pictures to streamline boarding from ports, etc., and there are cameras everywhere.

About 5 years ago, there were massive highway construction projects underway involving overpasses, etc., in the surrounding area.  I assume these construction projects were just recently completed (only half joking)?