Phone and Internet Access on the Nieuw Amsterdam/Caribbean cruise

BostonBoy2

Wife and I are going on the Nieuw Amsterdam for a week in late March. This is the Ft. Lauderdale to San Juan 7 day cruise. We are first-time cruisers. There are two days "at sea."

I'm trying to figure out how to handle phones/Internet on this trip.

I need phone and wifi access to stay in touch with work - I have a phone and an iPad. I can have my workplace turn on international roaming for the phone (AT&T). I've done that a couple of times in Europe and it's worked well. I assume that will only work when we're in port. So, I am thinking of buying the ship wifi. Will it work for both devices?

My wife has a phone, and would like to use it for email, telephone, browsing and to send photos to family members. I can turn on her Verizon international roaming, which I assume means she'll only get access when we're in port. Alternatively, I can buy the ship wifi package for her - I assume I can't share my ship wifi package with her, is that right?

I'm thinking that I'm overthinking this, and that I should just buy two wifi packages, one for wife, one for me.

Advice much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Welcome to HAL! I don't know about phone service at sea. Others can answer that. 

But I can tell you that an internet plan can be shared. The wifi intranet is free. You can use the Navigator app to check the daily program, menus, etc. If you want internet service, you have to pay for it. If you both don't need to be online all the time, you can share a plan. HAL describes the plans for "one device," but it's really one device at a time. You must log out of the internet service before she can log on. 

It's your first cruise. Try to enjoy the sea and the ship! I know that a lot of people need to stay in touch with work. But you're on vacation. Cut the cord for a few hours a day. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

41 minutes ago, BostonBoy2 said:

I'm trying to figure out how to handle phones/Internet on this trip.

Others will chime in more on the specifics on phone/internet/calling/roaming/surfing etc, I am just going to suggest that you need to set a low expectation at work that you "may not" be able to stay in contact 24/7.  And use that as you may also want to relax and enjoy the journey....if so inclined. 

I base this on the many passengers I have heard complain and become very frustrated because they were unable to call/surf/email/etc while cruising. 

"Ship" happens so best to set the low expectation and then if things are just crystal clear fast and fine you are still good.

Enjoy the cruise.......

Edited by FlaMariner

Can't answer about the phone either. For internet access, you can basically forget about using the ship internet for VPN. I had to wake up early each day to check work email and run cloud applications. It was pretty difficult between 9 AM and 12 PM during the sea days. Certain spots on the ship may give you better wifi connection, so you may want to move to a public space like one of the music lounges or the Lido if your cabin's internet isn't good. Now that said - things may get a lot better by end of 2023. Carnival Corp. is said to be rolling out StarLink on its Carnival/Princess/HAL/Seabourn ships this year. But I don't think your ship will get it by end of March.

2 hours ago, BostonBoy2 said:

I assume that will only work when we're in port.

It will also work onboard, but will be horrendously expensive.  It is provided by 'Cellular at Sea'.

If you purchase the ship's wifi you will be able to make calls using either 'WiFi Calling (if your phone is so enabled) or 'WhatsApp'.  We have used both successfully.  Calls are inclined to drop sometimes depending on your location and how many are using the ships internet at the time.

One package can be used by two people but not simultaneously.  One needs to logoff for the second person to use the connection.

We've used Cellular at Sea.  They have various plans.  I haven't used it in awhile so I would not want to try and answer specifics.  We needed it when my husband's mom was sick and we had to be in contact with her caregivers.   We used it since then but just for texting and no data.  It worked very well.  Not sure if this would work for your application, but you can look them up.  I remember that we had to use it ONLY at sea about 15 miles offshore.  On shore, we used the same company and plan for international calling.  

Edited by AKJonesy

Welcome to Cruise Critic @BostonBoy2!  In Puerto Rico your USA phone plan works just like in other parts of the USA.  It's a good time to take advantage of that while in port.  The ship WiFi works intermittently, sometimes well and sometimes not at all.  You can't "depend" on it if work requires you to be available at all or specific times.  Double check on the roaming when at sea because I "think" it will cause you to have horrendous bills.  Best to consult with your cell carrier for specifics.

Have a great trip!

~Nancy

Use WiFi calling if your phone has it.  Most of the newer phones do.  You can also, use WhatsApp to phone and even video call folks - it is a Wifi calling app that is not phone dependent. 

You will need to have purchased Wifi for the sailing.  

We live out in the country where cell service is nonexistent.  We use WiFi calling full time when at home.  It works seamlessly and easy. 

• Thanks 1

Agree, that onboard you should have a WiFi package, set your phone to airplane mode, turn on the phone's WiFi, and than you should be able to use WiFi calling (VOIP) assuming that its part of your phone plan and you have it activated before your trip.  An easy way to test this is to try making a WiFi call at home (make sure to turn off cellular service.

Cruise ships (including HAL) do have onboard cell phone (not Wifi) capability, but this is very expensive (many dollars per minute).    That is why knowledgeable cruisers always keep their phones in Airplane Mode when at sea.  When you near a port (within about 10 miles) it is usually possible to connect to shore-based Cell systems...if your phone plan includes coverage in that particular country  

Frequent cruisers (we fit into that category) will generally warn folks that WiFi and Internet are not very reliable when at sea.   If being in touch is vital, then being on a cruise ship may not be for you.  We have been on cruises where the WiFi and Internet systems have been down for multiple days.  This happens because of technical failures, atmospheric conditions, or a ship's location not being ideal for a decent satellite condition (this is rare in the Caribbean).

Hank

31 minutes ago, goldsmip115 said:

Currently on the Nieuw Amsterdam for 14 nights. Today is night 11. This is the worst wi-fi that I have ever experienced.  Do not count on being able to do much of anything.  Yes, I have the premium package.

Premium isn't faster. It just has access to more apps. If social and surf are slow, premium will be slow, too. I had the surf package last month, and sometimes it was as fast as at home for checking email and things like that. Other times, nada.

• Like 1