Silver Spirits

tocruiseguy

Interesting discussion......if anyone cares, I did the math and by the time we have a few sparkling waters, a diet coke or two plus highballs etc, I think it makes sense even if we don't hit $25 a day.  Like many have posted, the convenience is great, if I feel like a fru fru cocktail with an umbrella in it, I can order it or if I feel like a decent scotch I can do the same.  One more thing for Canadians.  I think it is best to purchase the package pre-cruise, as the everything on the ship is priced in USD you will avoid any exchange charge on your credit card.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

If you have SSBP, does it include liquors in your cabin fridge?

Totally dependent on Cabin category.  We book the lowest cabin category always, and there is no booze in our fridge.

5 hours ago, loriva said:

I think @millybessmay have answered my question on this but will ask anyway.  We have only sailed with Viking River, not VO--but will do our first cruise with the latter in May.  On VR we had the SSBP and they presented us with a list of bottles of wine every night.  We selected the one we wanted (I believe the price limit was up to $75) and they opened it and poured us glasses.  Never a charge that I'm aware of.

Is this a difference between Viking River and Ocean?  Or could it be the size of our group?  We were six at a table, so finished off each new bottle at the meal.

There is a difference in SSBP between River and Ocean.  On River Vueve Clicquot is included by glass and you can ask for a bottle to take back to your cabin at the end of the night.  Total difference in SSBP between the two.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Squawkman said:

Also where you are. As I understand it, in Europe the drinking age is 18 - same as Viking’s age. So I assume these trips were in the US or Canada. Am I correct?

This was the Panama Canal out of Ft. Lauderdale.

54 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

There is a difference in SSBP between River and Ocean.  On River Vueve Clicquot is included by glass and you can ask for a bottle to take back to your cabin at the end of the night.  Total difference in SSBP between the two.

I did not know that!  Sign me up!  Holy moly. We are mostly red wine drinkers, but that inclusion would change the equation a bit!  Do you know if this is still the case post Covid, or if this is region specific?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Redtravel said:

If you have SSBP, does it include liquors in your cabin fridge?

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Totally dependent on Cabin category.  We book the lowest cabin category always, and there is no booze in our fridge.

2 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Liquors in your cabin fridge are separate from SSP.

CDN and Linda are of course correct. PV and above staterooms come with Mini bottles of liquor in the stateroom fridge which are replenished daily whether you have SS or not.  If you have SS you can order an alcoholic beverage from room service so for those of us who stay in DVs and below, this is an option just as is carrying aboard a bottle of our preferred liquor and making our own cocktail. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

I did not know that!  Sign me up!  Holy moly. We are mostly red wine drinkers, but that inclusion would change the equation a bit!  Do you know if this is still the case post Covid, or if this is region specific?

It always was the case but we have not been on River since Covid.  Our next River is August.  Will let you know then.....

Just now, CDNPolar said:

It always was the case but we have not been on River since Covid.  Our next River is August.  Will let you know then.....

Funny story...   we were introduced to a brand new server on the first night of our Rivers of Gold cruise.  This was his first contract.  We were a group of 8 travelling together and we knew that Veuve was included in SSBP - all of us were on SSBP.

We asked for THREE GLASSES of Veuve, and this new guy brought three bottles to the table.  We looked and laughed and all 8 decided to have the Veuve and we not only drank those 3 but another couple of bottles on the first night.

Amazing we did not run out during the cruise.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

4 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

No Veuve Clicquot included in our Christmas on the Elbe Viking cruise in December.  I would have had a lot more Champagne on the cruise if so...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

CDN and Linda are of course correct. PV and above staterooms come with Mini bottles of liquor in the stateroom fridge which are replenished daily whether you have SS or not.  If you have SS you can order an alcoholic beverage from room service so for those of us who stay in DVs and below, this is an option just as is carrying aboard a bottle of our preferred liquor and making our own cocktail. 

So I can bring a bottle of hard liquor on board??  Wow.  

52 minutes ago, tocruiseguy said:

So I can bring a bottle of hard liquor on board??  Wow.  

As many as you want.  We have been known to buy a bottle of vodka and one of gin at the first duty free we see.  Then we use the inroom mixers and ask room service or the bar for some limes and then we are ready to go. 

7 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Not always Veve Clicquot--in November on the Grand European we only had Ayala & Bollinger.  I do prefer Vueve Clicquot.  I did like the Ayala the best.

3 hours ago, rcaruso said:

Not always Veve Clicquot--in November on the Grand European we only had Ayala & Bollinger.  I do prefer Vueve Clicquot.  I did like the Ayala the best.

Well, those are all three very nice choices for included bubbles. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

As many as you want.  We have been known to buy a bottle of vodka and one of gin at the first duty free we see.  Then we use the inroom mixers and ask room service or the bar for some limes and then we are ready to go. 

Maybe I will need to detox after our upcoming 27 day Viking cruise, after all....😀   PS thats more than twice as long as our longest cruise ever to date....

• Haha 1

YOU will love it!!! Longer journeys really let you settle into life on board.  IMO there is nothing better!

Edited by deec
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, deec said:

YOU will love it!!! Longer journeys really let you settle into life on board.  IMO there is nothing better!

Totally agree. We had a 29 day with Viking that is such a favorite memory. I know it doesn’t compare to their long journeys, but it was for us and it was awesome. It just allows you to fully allow for letting it go and sink fully in. We are hoping to do a long voyage again sometime in the next couple years, once our ‘just acquired before Covid’ pup gets more comfortable with our traveling. This year 2 1/2 weeks will be longest time apart.  
So go have a blast and don’t worry about detox. Enjoy every moment! 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

So go have a blast and don’t worry about detox. 

I’d like to see a chart that tracks liver function and cruise length. I bet there’s an inverse relationship.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 3/4/2023 at 4:03 PM, duquephart said:

Something new every day.

On our last cruise the steward left a 1L bottle of Gordon's on the counter saying they had "run out" of the little bottles for the fridge.

But it’s Gordon’s 🤮.  How about something drinkable such as Hendricks

• Like 2

2 hours ago, coljack said:

We always get the SS package mainly to get the decent wine list at dinner--not just the cheapest "red or white."

For the millionth time: A Viking passenger doesn't need the SS package to order off the wine list. The package is a form of payment, not availability. One can also order premium wines a la carte, by the glass or the bottle, and pay accordingly. The passenger is never limited to the "cheapest red or white."

• Like 8