Beverages packages have increased? (re: Plus and Premium)

cr8tiv1

I just signed on to my account to check a few things.  I pre-purchased a Plus Package for later this year.  I "thought" I paid $50 a day only to be surprised that it turned out to be slightly more than that total.  I attributed that to insurance and taxes since I hadn't made final payment yet.

We have been talking about $60/Plus and $80/Premier with 18% gratuity added on.

You can imagine my surprise when this popped up tonight for another cruise (final payment made).   

**Plus is now $64.99 plus 18% gratuity ($76.69)

**Premier is now $84.99 plus 18% gratuity ($100.29)

Did I miss the memo?  Am I the only one out there still talking about $60 and $80?

Please clue me in and bring me up to date.

Beveragepackages.thumb.png.fe99813db14c2e43731302ab7ee254f6.png

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I just signed on to my account to check a few things.  I pre-purchased a Plus Package for later this year.  I "thought" I paid $50 a day only to be surprised that it turned out to be slightly more than that total.  I attributed that to insurance and taxes since I hadn't made final payment yet.

We have been talking about $60/Plus and $80/Premier with 18% gratuity added on.

You can imagine my surprise when this popped up tonight for another cruise (final payment made).   

**Plus is now $64.99 plus 18% gratuity ($76.69)

**Premier is now $84.99 plus 18% gratuity ($100.29)

Did I miss the memo?  Am I the only one out there still talking about $60 and $80?

Please clue me in and bring me up to date.

Beveragepackages.thumb.png.fe99813db14c2e43731302ab7ee254f6.png

That is the beverage package.  Did Princess Plus go up?  

You must be special.   I just signed into my cruises booked to add the packages to ones I do not already have a package.  The prices show $60 and $80.  Maybe it is because you have made final payment and you are adding a package.

Good luck in resolving.

D0F736F6-E25C-4DFD-A160-92F82FDB791B.thumb.png.13418d54c148f3e20f90ab85b643661c.png6515FA08-41D1-4646-9921-F6A227DCA4AB.thumb.png.0605613ba434aba1c9f80b386d633e24.png

Edited by kiwimum
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I am so confused....

Princess have made this complicated.

If you buy the Princess Plus package, you will pay $60 per day. This package includes the Plus Beverage  package.  Similarly,  if you buy the Premier Package, at $80 per day, the Premier Beverage package is included.

Logically, therefore, it makes no sense to buy either of the stand alone drinks packages BUT, the Plus and Premier packages have to be purchased by both adults travelling together. If one adult does not drink alcohol, and drinks little in the way of soft drinks, but the other adult enjoys a few drinks, then economically it just about makes sense for that individual to purchase a stand alone drink package.

Hope that sort  of makes sense.

• Like 1

@wowzz

Let me get this clear in my head….

My above screen shot is for a stand alone Plus Beverage Package…not the the Princess Plus?

Plus Beverage Package is just drinks.

Princess Plus is Plus Beverage Package, Medallion Net, and Crew Appreciation.  

Is that the same as Mini-Suites and Suites?  
or Medallion Class and Medallion?  
or Intranet and Internet? (I know this difference)

Maybe I didn’t purchase Princess Plus for another cruise….ugh.  

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Yes - and buying the stand alone Beverage Package is more expensive than buying it as part of the Plus package.  Seems totally illogical.   But, as I explained, the benefit of buying the stand alone Beverage package, is that it can be purchased by an individual.  

• Thanks 1

Whew….my heart skipped a beat.  
Still doesn’t answer why I paid more than $50 per day (but less than $60).  Not going to fight Princess.  Chalk it up to insurance and taxes. 

Notice the notes in red.   I won’t be tempted to consume 2 ice cream creations a day!

50560D18-7F36-4A68-88E6-E73839DB510C.thumb.png.49aa228ba455d6212dfa77da345650b6.png

1 minute ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Chalk it up to insurance and taxes. 

Going from other US posts,  I think it is insurance.

We don't have that issue in the UK, as our policies have a maximum payout per claim if we have to cancel a cruise, (say $10k) so adding on a package normally has no impact on the cost of insurance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Yes - and buying the stand alone Beverage Package is more expensive than buying it as part of the Plus package.  Seems totally illogical.

It allows Princess to make such claims as "over $950 value on a 7-day cruise when you buy Princess Plus" when booking a cruise. Of couse that "value" also incluces Internet and gratuities.

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Whew….my heart skipped a beat.  
Still doesn’t answer why I paid more than $50 per day (but less than $60).  Not going to fight Princess.  Chalk it up to insurance and taxes.

No taxes. Yes, insurance.

Of course $50 was the daily price when you booked your cruise. It would be $60 + insurance if you booked a new cruise.

6 hours ago, caribill said:

It allows Princess to make such claims as "over $950 value on a 7-day cruise when you buy Princess Plus" when booking a cruise.

Exactly.  totally made up math.  Princess could "raise" the rate of Gratuities to $500 per day when paid a la carte, but "include" them in the Plus Package that you pay $60 for, and then claim that for a 7 day cruise, you are getting $3,500 worth of value for $420.  Of course, no one would ever pay a la carte ever again, and then the comparable value is meaningless.   

• Like 1

You evidently purchased the beverage package on its own not the Plus package which includes WiFi and gratuities and had the 18% built in   The only reason this would be done is if only 2 person out of 2 in a cabin wanted the package because for the total package the first 2 in a cabin must take the package

13 minutes ago, memoak said:

You evidently purchased the beverage package on its own not the Plus package which includes WiFi and gratuities and had the 18% built in   The only reason this would be done is if only 2 person out of 2 in a cabin wanted the package because for the total package the first 2 in a cabin must take the package

Typo. I think you mean 1 person in the cabin wanted the package.

9 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@wowzz

Let me get this clear in my head….

My above screen shot is for a stand alone Plus Beverage Package…not the the Princess Plus?

Is that the same as Mini-Suites and Suites?  
or Medallion Class and Medallion?  
or Intranet and Internet? (I know this difference)

Maybe I didn’t purchase Princess Plus for another cruise….ugh.  

I would check to see and if you purchased the Plus beverage package and if so, I would switch to Princess Plus even at $60 a day.  It would’ve been a lot easier if they would have picked different names for the beverage packages.

Princess screwed the pooch on this naming stuff.

Princess Plus and Premier are both the name of the stand-alone beverage packages and the bundled cruise fare packages.. wildly ridiculous to name them the same thing.

The Plus/Premier cruise packages are $60/80 respectively. Have to be purchased by first two in cabin, same package, etc. Includes Plus/Premier beverage package, crew appreciation, wifi, desserts, medallion shipping, exercise classes, juice bar, and other "extras" (dependent on which cruise package).

The Plus/Premier beverage packages are $64.99+18% gratuity or $84.99+18% gratuity respectively. Can be purchased by just 1 in cabin, or two different beverage packages, etc. (Princess has never required all adults in cabin to buy a beverage package or none can). Only includes the beverage package, with it's inclusions and limitations..

absolutely idiotic idea to name the Cruise Packages and the beverage packages the exact same thing.. cause unnecessary confusion and differing answers, etc as people try to clarify what an OP is exactly asking about.

yes, the price of the individual beverage packages went up same time the cruise package pricing went up.. 

I am more awake this morning.  

Recap:

Booked a cruise a long time ago without Princess Plus (the all inclusive package)

Changed my mind, added Princess Plus (drinks, wifi, gratuities) @ $50/day

Charged:  $53.50 per day.

I will never understand how Princess calculates things.  7%. (0.07) was added to the $50.   Insurance is 8%.  Taxes in CA is 9+%.  Makes absolutely no sense to me.  

This purchase was made:

post booking

before price increase

pre-final payment (cruise itself is not paid for/on deposit only)

paid for Princess Plus with a credit card/independent of final payment (another inquiry in itself).

I guess I could call/chat/argue my lack of understanding, but am putting this out to those who may know more than Princess call center.  

Thank you to all for reassuring me that I am not the crazy one.  

• Like 1