CoCo Cay Jellyfish

I’ve been to coco cay several times. Once there were tons of jelly fish. I had long sleeves and swim pants on. But they still get all over you. I tried to snorkel but just couldn’t. Through my mask I could just imagine them in my hair etc. it just wasn’t fun. I don’t remember the time of year. Probably as one person said the warmer months. 

• Thanks 1

Wow. So this sounds like it's gonna be a real problem. Was really looking forward to swimming on this island. Never ever had this problem on Disney's private island. Maybe it's the location? Wind/current etc?

• Thanks 1

On 3/3/2023 at 6:01 PM, BecciBoo said:

Whatever you do, if you're stung....DON'T PEE ON IT!  That's a myth.  The First Aide shack has a remedy for you.

I've heard "Some" recommend this Treatment, with or without being Stung

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Markus201 said:

Wow. So this sounds like it's gonna be a real problem. Was really looking forward to swimming on this island. Never ever had this problem on Disney's private island. Maybe it's the location? Wind/current etc?

It was never a problem for us even though hubs got stung the first aide guys gave him the spray bottle of vinegar and he just ignored it, I never got stung and these little guys were pretty much everywhere over at South Beach...go with the flow.  They are about the size of a tennis ball.  Called Moon jellies.  And we NEVER saw a Man O war ever at Coco Cay and we've been there starting in 2003 about 6 times, only stung once. You realize you can see NCL island from Coco and Disney is still in the same area of the Bahamas. I think too much is being made of this "threat"....go and have fun, you may never see any at all; and by all means swim in the sea, great critter watching there.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Then why worry.  Montana girl was just there at the wrong time. If you see jellies...GET OUT

Exactly!   Humans have been swimming in the oceans of the world since, well, since there have been humans.  The ocean(s) are filled with things that can hurt or even kill you.  But, millions and millions of people (me included) have made their way into the ocean incident free.  I will not live in fear of things like the possibility of JF.  I tend to be aware of my surroundings and listen to the locals and their "OFFICIAL" warnings.  If there is something within my safe space, and I'm not just talking about being in the ocean, I make adjustments to my activities. 

I would hope that RCCL would post warnings about the current conditions surrounding their island just to keep its customers safe and comfortable.  I grew up in Dania (now Dania Beach) Florida.  My mom would take us, pre-school age, to the beach almost every day.  The lifeguards would post signage if there was an undertow or riptide, JF issues, etc.  The ocean was part of my, almost, everyday activities (I surfed throughout my Jr High and High School years).  The worst that happened to me was I got a mouth full of seaweed once.  So, again, I say go and enjoy yourself but be aware of the conditions.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1