Does anyone know what this unmarked area is on deck 8 of Harmony? Also, which is 'better', Port or Starboard?

I'm in room 8172 but am concerned about what the unmarked, 'L' shaped area could be.  I've heard those can be noisy crew areas and one should avoid unmarked areas for that reason.

Does anyone know for sure?  If it's a crew stairway with a constant slamming door that will not be fun.

Also, my mother swears Port side is better.  I am a newbie and have no idea but it seems more people say Oasis class ships dock starboard side so there's more to see on Starboard and that in general Starboard is better.  I know it's subjective, but is there a consensus on which most people prefer?

4767B9B5-AFB3-4C71-A7DF-1CFE90264EB6_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by Katems75
fixed picture

Most likely cleaning service store room.

here's really no preference.  Ships dock on either side depending on which port/pier and of other ships are also docked. The only concern on starboard is where the outside smoking area is.

Edited by crewsweeper

We have cruised Oasis class many times and very rarely have I heard any slamming of doors.  If it is crew area they are very aware of noise and I have always found them to be courteous.

My personal theory with Port or Starboard is the better side is always the opposite of the one I am on!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We've only one RCI cruise so far, and booked a port cabin as we always do on Celebrity and HAL. In each case, for the three ports we visited, we had an excellent view from our cabin.

Nassau

P3130042v2.thumb.jpeg.9803297a123704a475b5db0abced5e03.jpeg

St. Thomas

P3150055.thumb.jpeg.b8cd20336b576241d0f6aced84dfbecf.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Katems75 said:

I'm in room 8172 but am concerned about what the unmarked, 'L' shaped area could be.  I've heard those can be noisy crew areas and one should avoid unmarked areas for that reason.

Does anyone know for sure?  If it's a crew stairway with a constant slamming door that will not be fun.

Also, my mother swears Port side is better.  I am a newbie and have no idea but it seems more people say Oasis class ships dock starboard side so there's more to see on Starboard and that in general Starboard is better.  I know it's subjective, but is there a consensus on which most people prefer?

4767B9B5-AFB3-4C71-A7DF-1CFE90264EB6_1_201_a.jpeg

crew stairwell is a few cabins away where I have marked C

image.png.579b0247810eae32d98e31ef7f99d700.png

• Like 1

Oasis class ships are built to dock on the starboard side - there is an escalator on the starboard side that takes you up to the Promenade. There is only an escalator on the Starboard side, so if you enter on the port side you have to walk through some normally crew areas to get to the elevator or escalator.

Ships are full of areas of that guests to not go into. (it is a ship, that has many different storage, mechanical areas).  Ships also have many noises that you would not normally here from fog horns, to the anchor dropping etc, and if you are an outside room, it could be noises from the port early morning.  Don't fret over spaces because you can never really know.  

Either side of the ship is equal unless you are going to Alaska.

This could also be a workspace for collecting dishware, obtaining ice, etc. I am extremely wary of booking anywhere near such blank spaces on deck plans ever since we booked a cabin across from one on Vision. At the time of booking, we were told it was just storage, but it turned out to be where they collected dishware from room service in the early hours of the morning. Between going in and out of that room with carts and banging around with the door blocked open, it woke us up and was generally annoying to deal with.