Carnival, why do you even make rules?

I always tell my students that the line "I don't mean to be rude, but..." indicates that the speaker is fully aware that what they are about to say is rude but somehow thinks that prefacing it with "just tell me if I am being rude" somehow changes that fact.

I'd take someone who is oblivious to the fact that they are being offensive over someone who is cognizant of that likelihood and chooses to proceed anyway. 

• Like 10

On 3/11/2023 at 1:19 PM, AquarianCruiser said:

That’s true.  I believe, generally speaking, we get what we pay for.  If we want a more exclusive and civilized cruise experience, we are going to have to pay the extra to have it or to have a better chance of having it.  There are no guarantees we will not cross paths with a few Neanderthals and unsavory characters when we decide to book a cruise however being mindful of the cruise line, dates and itinerary are more often than not good indicators of the experiences we are signing up for.  
The difference between cruising on Carnival and cruising on Celebrity was like the difference between night and day in my opinion.  That being said, I’ve never been on a bad cruise.  I’ve enjoyed them all and didn’t want them to ever end.  

I've sailed on and enjoyed Carnival in the past (most recently as last year).   I think Carnival's reputation has worked its way into being that super cheap hotel in the seedy neighborhood no one wants visit.   Changing that perception is going to take a lot of hard work.    

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

I always tell my students that the line "I don't mean to be rude, but..." indicates that the speaker is fully aware that what they are about to say is rude but somehow thinks that prefacing it with "just tell me if I am being rude" somehow changes that fact.

I'd take someone who is oblivious to the fact that they are being offensive over someone who is cognizant of that likelihood and chooses to proceed anyway. 

I was taught that any statement made before the word "but" was a lie. I think of that whenever I use "but" in a sentence and adjust my statement accordingly. Reminds me of when southerners use the phrase "Bless his/her heart", thinking that will soften the criticism that comes next.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, MonaCD said:

Reminds me of when southerners use the phrase "Bless his/her heart", thinking that will soften the criticism that comes next.

Oh, I'm quite sure there is no thinking it will soften the criticism.  It's just a far more polite way of saying something far harsher, and everyone knows what is meant.

It is still amusing to see a non-Southerner hear the phrase used on them for the first time, though.

(And I'm currently from central FL, which is well outside "the deep south", so I take no pains to pretend I'm Southern.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Oh, I'm quite sure there is no thinking it will soften the criticism.  It's just a far more polite way of saying something far harsher, and everyone knows what is meant.

It is still amusing to see a non-Southerner hear the phrase used on them for the first time, though.

(And I'm currently from central FL, which is well outside "the deep south", so I take no pains to pretend I'm Southern.)

I can't claim to be an expert on the matter but I don't think "bless his heart" is meant to be used in an exercise of criticism in the usual sense.

Some people, through no fault of their own and with no malice or ill intent, have unfortunate characteristics. Around here "bless his heart" is used in recognizing that the person is good and means well but has such an unfortunate characteristic.

The best example I can think of at the moment was with my mother in law years ago. A family member had plans to open a restaurant. I recall my MIL saying something like "You know he's a disaster in the kitchen. He almost cut his fingers off a bunch of times and they've had food poisoning from his cooking more than a few times. He can't cook to save his life, bless his heart."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, icft said:

I can't claim to be an expert on the matter but I don't think "bless his heart" is meant to be used in an exercise of criticism in the usual sense.

Some people, through no fault of their own and with no malice or ill intent, have unfortunate characteristics. Around here "bless his heart" is used in recognizing that the person is good and means well but has such an unfortunate characteristic.

The best example I can think of at the moment was with my mother in law years ago. A family member had plans to open a restaurant. I recall my MIL saying something like "You know he's a disaster in the kitchen. He almost cut his fingers off a bunch of times and they've had food poisoning from his cooking more than a few times. He can't cook to save his life, bless his heart."

I'm going to have to give the point to the Floridian on this one... when we say "bless your heart..." we're really saying, "well you're a real special kind of stupid, aren't you?" 😂

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

28 minutes ago, crazy4themouse said:

I'm going to have to give the point to the Floridian on this one... when we say "bless your heart..." we're really saying, "well you're a real special kind of stupid, aren't you?" 😂

Oh! I have used it contrary to the manner it is commonly used around here:

image.thumb.png.4a46ed9a1ebda6d915fcd87582926881.png

10 hours ago, crazy4themouse said:

Born and raised in New England, living in NC for the last 12 years.    In my experience, the above is correct.  Southerners use this to "politely" insult someone. I prefer a blunt Yankee over a passive-aggressive southerner any day.  We may be "rude," but at least you know where you stand.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/12/2023 at 5:02 PM, 2wheelin said:

You apparently don’t realize it (or do you?) but your passive-aggressive challenge only serves you so you can act offended or uber sensitive if someone has the nerve to say something. And by asking everyone, you made it clear that the first to say something would be considered a lone wolf.

“Passive aggressive challenge” , “act offended or Uber sensitive”

You don’t even know me yet you sit behind a keyboard and judge. We kept it so low that you had to be sitting in my lounger to even hear it.  

21 hours ago, icft said:

As a Yankee, I mostly think I understand the difference in tone and inflections of "bless your heart". My all time favorite was a group of sisters who I invited to join me at a large table at a past guest party.  The ladies (in their lovely soft Georgia accents) asked if I was by myself.  I said "yes".  They then said "where's your husband?".  I said I wasn't married.  They all together leaned forward, exclaimed "BLESS YOUR HEART" and one turned and yelled, "Hey Bubba, come here and say hey to this lady".  "He's our brother!"

• Haha 8

1 minute ago, Elaine5715 said:

As a Yankee, I mostly think I understand the difference in tone and inflections of "bless your heart". My all time favorite was a group of sisters who I invited to join me at a large table at a past guest party.  The ladies (in their lovely soft Georgia accents) asked if I was by myself.  I said "yes".  They then said "where's your husband?".  I said I wasn't married.  They all together leaned forward, exclaimed "BLESS YOUR HEART" and one turned and yelled, "Hey Bubba, come here and say hey to this lady".  "He's our brother!"

I take it this did not result in a love match, then?

• Haha 1

On 3/12/2023 at 7:52 PM, Elaine5715 said:

Exactly...many incidents start with one person speaking up and being attacked by a group.  Your "we" already signals that most individuals are already outnumbered.    

Amazing how someone who wasn’t there can jump to conclusions. The “we” was not a group. It was my wife and I. We are both in our 60s and so far from physically threatening it’s comical.  I’m sure you’ve seen groups attack people for speaking up but I assure you that isn’t us. 

49 minutes ago, DreadPirateRobert said:

Amazing how someone who wasn’t there can jump to conclusions. The “we” was not a group. It was my wife and I. We are both in our 60s and so far from physically threatening it’s comical.  I’m sure you’ve seen groups attack people for speaking up but I assure you that isn’t us. 

Someone bold enough to bring a speaker to play their own music in a "Serenity" area with piped in music is also someone bold enough to verbally chastise anyone who requests their personal speaker be turned off.  I would say the vast majority of people just move elsewhere which simply strengthens your view it was fine.    Similar to people who claim "no one asked them to move personal items off a lounger" 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, DreadPirateRobert said:

“Passive aggressive challenge” , “act offended or Uber sensitive”

You don’t even know me yet you sit behind a keyboard and judge. We kept it so low that you had to be sitting in my lounger to even hear it.  

So why ask the question in the first place? How many others were sitting in your lounger with you?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 3/12/2023 at 5:40 PM, BasicSailor said:

I truly feel Carnival is trying to push the Platinum and Diamond members out.

There are over 1.5M Platinum and Diamond guests, it is not rare air.  I don't think CCL is going out of their way to alienate these members, it is just becoming more expensive to manage them and any perks that are extended to them.

And at the risk of something that probably does not need revisited, I really think CCL is doing itself a disservice by not extending any perks to get passengers to try other brands.  People chose Celebrity that could of chosen Princess to keep the money in the CCL book rather than lose it to RCL. I know it is a tough riddle to solve but I think Carnival could do a better job managing their brands in a way that may better tailor someone who wants a change.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Carnival isn't really trying hard to retain platinum or diamond guests because they don't have to. There's plenty of blue/red guests behind them to fill that berth.

Every time JH posts on Facebook the facts and figures of a particular cruise, over half the cruisers are blue and red card cruisers (less than 25 days at sea).

Maybe one day the facts will change but right now there are plenty of people interested in cruising.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

Carnival isn't really trying hard to retain platinum or diamond guests because they don't have to. There's plenty of blue/red guests behind them to fill that berth.

Every time JH posts on Facebook the facts and figures of a particular cruise, over half the cruisers are blue and red card cruisers (less than 25 days at sea).

Maybe one day the facts will change but right now there are plenty of people interested in cruising.

Even right after the restart and experienced cruisers were hesitant to book, the largest category was blue cards 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 10:52 AM, mz-s said:

People who care about having a nice vacation would be wise to look elsewhere.

Thanks for the advice. We were considering Carnival 'cause it sails a 12-nighter out of Baltimore in Winter '24, but now, nevermind

I am happy cruising Carnival although I do prefer the Princess experience  but last time in March  there were NO rules about dress in the dining rooms applied and unchallenged loose children were everywhere (no parents in sight)

Most - at least 45% of the ladies went in to dinner with cut off fraying jeans that left nothing to the imagination and almost always accompanied by a gentleman in a wife beater top thongs/flipflops and a baseball cap

It did not upset my experience it just made me decide not to waste space  packing my evening clothes and DH jacket for the next Carnival cruise next month.

1 hour ago, windsor26 said:

I am happy cruising Carnival although I do prefer the Princess experience  but last time in March  there were NO rules about dress in the dining rooms applied and unchallenged loose children were everywhere (no parents in sight)

Most - at least 45% of the ladies went in to dinner with cut off fraying jeans that left nothing to the imagination and almost always accompanied by a gentleman in a wife beater top thongs/flipflops and a baseball cap

It did not upset my experience it just made me decide not to waste space  packing my evening clothes and DH jacket for the next Carnival cruise next month.

Never seen a wife beater top on any cruise and I wear a dress to dinner every night

• Like 3