Taking alcoholic drinks into the theatre

daisybel

On QE at the moment Concerned that a group of around 20 came into the evening show all carrying  large glasses of Ale and bottles ?? Never seen this before - is it allowed  or am I being stuffy. 

8 hours ago, daisybel said:

On QE at the moment Concerned that a group of around 20 came into the evening show all carrying  large glasses of Ale and bottles ?? Never seen this before - is it allowed  or am I being stuffy. 

What cruise are you on?  I do not think you are stuffy, nothing surprises me in this day and age.

14 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

There used to be waiter service to the boxes so yes it's allowed.

I think there is a big difference when a large group of people are carrying bottles and glasses into the theater compared to being served by a waiter. Would you do this going into a Broadway or West End Show? in the many Cunard cruises I have never seen or heard of  this, I see sometimes in the buffet someone wearing  a gown from there cabin, if everyone carried on like that the place would be chaos.  You pay for the boxes but the issue is in the general seating area not the boxes. 

36 minutes ago, Down-Unders said:

I think there is a big difference when a large group of people are carrying bottles and glasses into the theater compared to being served by a waiter. Would you do this going into a Broadway or West End Show? in the many Cunard cruises I have never seen or heard of  this, I see sometimes in the buffet someone wearing  a gown from there cabin, if everyone carried on like that the place would be chaos.  You pay for the boxes but the issue is in the general seating area not the boxes. 

The boxes don't always have to be paid for.

1 hour ago, Down-Unders said:

Don't know about Broadway, but every West End Show allows you to take alcoholic drinks into the Theatre. We have been on QM2 twice and took drinks into theatre with no complaints as we have done on many other cruise lines.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Down-Unders said:

Don't know but my local  upmarket cinema chain certainly does. This is hardly uncommon  in Australia and NZ and the ship is currently still in Australia I think.  We certainly took glasses in on occasion - particularly when the late sitting for dinner meant we had to run to make it to the theatre on time for the 10pm show 

1 hour ago, dthompsond1 said:

Don't know about Broadway, but every West End Show allows you to take alcoholic drinks into the Theatre. We have been on QM2 twice and took drinks into theatre with no complaints as we have done on many other cruise lines.

I think the issue is (apparently) bringing drinks from one's personal supply vs. bringing drinks purchased from one of the ship's bars.  Do West End theatres allow one to bring bottles in from off the street?

• Like 1

During a February 2023 Queen Elizabeth voyage, food and drink were not permitted in the Royal Court theatre. The notice below was in the daily program and notices were placed at the theatre entrances. Although it didn't seem to be actively policed, there were very few times where I noticed the rules being broken.

20230309_102731~3.jpg

6 hours ago, QM2_SYD said:

During a February 2023 Queen Elizabeth voyage, food and drink were not permitted in the Royal Court theatre. The notice below was in the daily program and notices were placed at the theatre entrances. Although it didn't seem to be actively policed, there were very few times where I noticed the rules being broken.

20230309_102731~3.jpg

Thank you for this, yes I have seen people being discrete about wine, being brought into different venues. It appears the minority is spoiling it for the majority, when I read about a large group bringing bottles and glasses of beer to the show, first thing Cunard will say it is a workplace health and safety issue, broken glasses beer bottles left etc  because they will not take there empties with them. It grieves me to read that Cunard has had to  put this notice out and who can blame them, never never ever have I  seen anything like this in a notice on the Victoria, Elizabeth or the Mary.

Lets just get to the bottom on this topic ( we have covered this before somewhere) 

To clarify

Alcohol is permitted to be taken into the Theatre across the fleet , it always has been permitted and will continue to be permitted, however, the only time it is not permitted is when 'Masks are a Mandatory Procedure' 

The above notification is from a QE daily program during an itinerary when the wearing of Masks were mandatory in the theatre . The same notification and procedure appeared in the daily program onboard Queen Victoria during one of those early itineraries I took post covid .

The  Gala Box Program onboard the two Vista class ships generate a healthy revenue for Cunard,  this concept is still the norm when masks are not mandatory.  In the mean time for those of us sitting on the lower level alcohol drinks are permitted to be taken into the theatre.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Down-Unders said:

Is this new? as the latest cruise we were on,  Cunard was selling a  package Drinks and  Box for both evening shows.

Unless things have changed since last summer, boxes have always been free on non Gala evenings.

21 hours ago, 57eric said:

I think the issue is (apparently) bringing drinks from one's personal supply vs. bringing drinks purchased from one of the ship's bars.  Do West End theatres allow one to bring bottles in from off the street?

Totally agree with your post.

21 hours ago, 57eric said:

What makes you think it was their personal supply? I didn't see any mention of that in the original post. 

• Like 3

If those ale drinkers are discreet with their beverages and not bothering the Theatre proceedings, it doesn’t seem like a big deal. 
If, however, those ale drinkers turn the Theatre into a rugby scrum, action by the staff needs to be taken. We didn’t sign up for a scrum!
I love a good bitter ale and promise to be on my best behavior during a show…

• Like 1