Really short stop in St thomas? Worth it?

On 3/8/2023 at 8:59 PM, NightOne said:

8 hours is St. Thomas is not a "tight" schedule 🙂

Thanks. The rest of our days seem to be 5pm or 6pm so I guess that's why I thought it was tight(er)  lol. Even so, I feel a lot better now I've realised I somehow made up the 1pm leaving time. 

On 3/8/2023 at 7:28 PM, BecciBoo said:

Hop in a cab and go to really nice beach just 5 minutes away around the airport called Lindberg Bay Beach, just tell cabbie you need Emerald Bay Resort.  You can enter beach there and there's a $7 or something nominal fee for a lounger.  They have a terrific little cafe on the beach that makes great burgers!

Allure%20of%20the%20Seas--9549-M.jpg

DSCN1030.JPG

Emerald Beach resort.png

Thanks this looks gorgeous I'll do my research for this

On 3/8/2023 at 8:30 AM, Shand9219 said:

So yes it's totally my fault for not checking properly before booking. But my cruise says docking in St thomas 7am-1pm

Can anyone tell me if this means back on the ship for 1 or leaving? Seems super short? I was hoping to book Sunfari tours but it seems like that's a really tight time frame to really do anything. Is that enough time to explore? What time would you need to be on the ship for? Thanks for reading this ramble and for any help.

For those that have not been to St Thomas in a while suggest you prepare yourselves a bit.  They had not recovered much from the B2B Cat 5 hurricanes in 2017 and then Covid hit.  Many (most) of the stores have closed - in talking to one owner he said 80% had shuttered and most do not expect to return.  All of the islands need tourist money so please go when/as you can, just be prepared that it is not the St. Thomas of old from a shopping/bar point of view.  Still beautiful, still enjoyable - just need to make new memories.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I have never been a shopper at any port, the most we ever bought were hats for the sun, never trinkets...once I bought some pearl earrings in Roatan.  I'm an excursion gal.

Same with me. My biggest purchase was a gold bracelet I bought in Barbados. Paid around $600, far less than I would have paid at home (I know because I had a jeweler take a look at a local store) 🙂

Speaking of that...I warned my MIL once about buying in the port at Cozumel.  Logic tells me if 10 shops have the same "sapphire" ring for $400, odds are it's not real gemstone...she bought it anyway.  Turns out after a "gemologist jewelry appraisal" it was simulated.  $400 down the drain with no hope of a refund.  Buyer beware.

On 3/8/2023 at 8:30 AM, Shand9219 said:

So yes it's totally my fault for not checking properly before booking. But my cruise says docking in St thomas 7am-1pm

Can anyone tell me if this means back on the ship for 1 or leaving? Seems super short? I was hoping to book Sunfari tours but it seems like that's a really tight time frame to really do anything. Is that enough time to explore? What time would you need to be on the ship for? Thanks for reading this ramble and for any help.

My sister lives in St Thomas, so Im a bit familiar with this port. Walk over to "Tickles" restaurant and theres a water taxi to Water Island. You can see the ship from this island. Super close, and theyre very good at getting you back on time. No taxis needed, nor traffic to worry about. If you google St Thomas webcams, I think theres still a live webcam of Water Island. Enjoy! Its my favorite island.

20221109_144809.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vickic233 said:

My sister lives in St Thomas, so Im a bit familiar with this port. Walk over to "Tickles" restaurant and theres a water taxi to Water Island. You can see the ship from this island. Super close, and theyre very good at getting you back on time. No taxis needed, nor traffic to worry about. If you google St Thomas webcams, I think theres still a live webcam of Water Island. Enjoy! Its my favorite island.

I second this idea. We loved our visit to Water Island, and lunch at Dinghy's Beach Bar was great! Both the food and the cocktails were delish.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vickic233 said:

20221109_144809.jpg

Thank you!

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 9:30 AM, Shand9219 said:

For some local vibe you could try Brewers Bay beach, a beautiful slice of paradise but limited services, it's only 2 miles from the dock, take a cab but be aware it might take a bit to catch one back from there, get the cab phone #, or you could walk back. The locals go to snorkel with the ever present sea turtles there. I think food trucks are around too.

On 3/8/2023 at 7:40 AM, Engineroom Snipe said:

If those are the times listed, getting off the ship will take a minimum of 30 minutes at best and maybe an hour at worst. I would not suggest getting back on board any less than 30 minutes before departure in case there are lines through customs (not just your ship but other passengers on other ships doing the same). You really have 8am to 12pm on shore from my experience unless you are close to the docks and can walk the distance to get onboard. 

No customs in St Thomas, just two people at the pier gate checking both cruise card and picture ID when getting back.  Problem with Royal dock in St Thomas is that Crown Bay is a couple of miles from downtown so if you want to go there you need a "cab."  Big open wagons with seats for 25 that charged $6pp last month.

• Like 1