Price for Medallion Net- OMG

TracieABD

Hi. 
Forgive me if this has been asked and answered… I could not find anything that speaks to this. 

We just booked a 19 day cruise for late summer. I was setting up our accounts on the app and thought I would look at the prices of the Medallion Net (Wi-Fi).  

I am in shock. 1 device is $285 and the 4 device package is $760. Is this an error?!?!?

We are elite and platinum so there should be a discount. 

We just completed a weeklong cruise in January and the Wi-Fi package was $70 for 4 devices. 

Any insight here? 

Thanks for any help!

TL
88A47CB9-15BB-4E97-A512-C20785DFDA30.thumb.jpeg.d3d602f84a4c23bfb62d54fff9a96959.jpeg

• Like 1

Prices went up. Your picture does not show your 50% discount. Some have said you get it as OBC once you board the ship. You can wait until you are on the ship and sign up and get the discounted price.

• Like 1

Alas not an error, you should have your 50% Elite/Platinum discount noted on the price, but still it is very pricy.   Price went up the end of Feb and was announced in Dec.    I am in the same state as you, had to cancel and rebook an upcoming summer cruise, and the extras (4 device internet) went from $80 USD to $320.

22 minutes ago, GJCruiser said:

Prices went up. Your picture does not show your 50% discount. Some have said you get it as OBC once you board the ship. You can wait until you are on the ship and sign up and get the discounted price.

22 minutes ago, Valiamo said:

Alas not an error, you should have your 50% Elite/Platinum discount noted on the price, but still it is very pricy.   Price went up the end of Feb and was announced in Dec.    I am in the same state as you, had to cancel and rebook an upcoming summer cruise, and the extras (4 device internet) went from $80 USD to $320.

Thank you so much for responding.  This is shocking.  I am wondering if this another attempt to get people to sign up for Princess  Plus.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

while the prices have increased from 10 to 15 for 1 device and 20 to 40 for 4 devices before elite 50% discount, the cost for Internet is still less on Princes then on competing lines such as Hal and Celebrity.

29 minutes ago, TracieABD said:

Thank you so much for responding.  This is shocking.  I am wondering if this another attempt to get people to sign up for Princess  Plus.  

Not really since the prices for the packages were increased at the same time.  Cruise lines feel that they have some pricing power now that ships are back operating at full capacity and the large increases that have occured in the land travel (resort hotels, air fare, etc). The first increases have been in onboard items (packages, internet, etc.). Expect fares to be next.

Edited by ldtr

The MedallionClass App used to give the 50% Platinum/Elite discount on the spot.  Every since the app's version upgrade last month, the app no longer does for all.  Buy it full price and then you'll get OBC equivalent to the discount credited to your onboard folio, once on the ship.  The fine print of the Captain's Circle benefits says its supposed be OBC, but it was great when the app gave it on the spot.  I think the are finally enforcing the discount as OBC so passengers spend money. 

If it were me, I would forgo the multi device and suck it up that I had to disconnect and reconnect another device when switching use, or use that one device as a hotspot for the others.  The multi device plan is too expensive for slow Internet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

The MedallionClass App used to give the 50% Platinum/Elite discount on the spot.  Every since the app's version upgrade last month, the app no longer does for all.  Buy it full price and then you'll get OBC equivalent to the discount credited to your onboard folio, once on the ship.  The fine print of the Captain's Circle benefits says its supposed be OBC, but it was great when the app gave it on the spot.  I think the are finally enforcing the discount as OBC so passengers spend money. 

If it were me, I would forgo the multi device and suck it up that I had to disconnect and reconnect another device when switching use, or use that one device as a hotspot for the others.  The multi device plan is too expensive for slow Internet.

The problem is if the Ap recognizes your correct Captains Club status.  There seems to be an issue where the ap thinks that you have a different CC number than your real one. In that case the Princess logo on your picture in your profile will show blue instead of black. Once you are on ship it gets your data from a different source.  Another place the problem shows up is that you will not be able to access your cruises from the web version.

21 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

I see it as immediate cash flow added to Princess.  They get to use your money for a year or two before having to give it back to you as OBC.  Who knows what the policy would be then.  Non-refundable, again?  

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

The problem is if the Ap recognizes your correct Captains Club status.  There seems to be an issue where the ap thinks that you have a different CC number than your real one. In that case the Princess logo on your picture in your profile will show blue instead of black. Once you are on ship it gets your data from a different source.  Another place the problem shows up is that you will not be able to access your cruises from the web version.

You are absolutely correct. I just checked and I am “blue” on the app. 
I wonder if this will affect boarding group sign-ups and dining reservations, as well. 

This is a first for me. I hope they get it quickly sorted- for the sake of all?

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I see it as immediate cash flow added to Princess.  They get to use your money for a year or two before having to give it back to you as OBC.  Who knows what the policy would be then.  Non-refundable, again?  

Mine still shows as $7.50 per day for 1 device and $20 per day for 4 devices.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TracieABD said:

We just booked a 19 day cruise for late summer. I was setting up our accounts on the app and thought I would look at the prices of the Medallion Net (Wi-Fi).  

I am in shock. 1 device is $285 and the 4 device package is $760. Is this an error?!?!?

Yes, this is the current price before the Platinum/Elite discount for "the best Wi-Fi at sea".

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, TracieABD said:

I wonder if this will affect boarding group sign-ups and dining reservations, as well. 

You need to email the medallion support department to get it fixed.  Mine was blue for about a year before they finally fixed it. Calling didn’t help, they promised to escalate the issue but nothing changed.  Once they correct your loyalty status you’ll be able to get your internet discount up front like you should. 

Next week will be the first time since restart that we have cruised with the Plus package.   On DH's phone app, he is shown as Elite and the internet pricing options reflect  the $7.50 per day charge for one device. I've never entered any information via his app - only use my phone's app.   On my phone, I am blue and no discount shown for Elite.  Being "blue" didn't impact selecting boarding group A.    I will wait and purchase a one device plan once we are on the ship.  Will also check with the Ocean Navigators on board about fixing my app status.  I'm also curious to know if "buying" an internet plan on my husband's app will show up on my app too since we only have one credit card on the app.

On the Regal last November the Ocean Navigators were no help at all in fixing my app status. In fact, the manager insisted that as long as the Princess system has me as elite, then the app has to as well. I told him that is absolutely not true, but he basically blew me off completely. He was either unaware of the app loyalty issue and unwilling to listen, or just didn’t want to bother with it.  Anyway, no help there. Hopefully you’ll have better luck but maybe don’t count on it. 

8 hours ago, TracieABD said:

It does not effect those.  Only effects the wifi discount for advance purchase.

Unfortunately the same problem means that you can not get around it by using the web version. 

1 hour ago, gullgeorge said:

Mine also did not show the elite status.  I called/chatted with Princess and they had it correct in a few days.

They corrected mine, but then it reverted after the next cruise I went on.

12 minutes ago, ldtr said:

They corrected mine, but then it reverted after the next cruise I went on.

That's too bad. Mine is the wrong color, and I've been getting around to getting it changed. I hate the thought of having to wrangle this more than once.

22 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Hey all.  Just buy MedallionNet on board and keep your money.  Same price on board as pre-cruise now.  And you can use OBC to pay for it if you have enough.

Do you need to buy for the whole cruise or can you purchase for just a day or two?

5 hours ago, pompeii said:

You need to email the medallion support department to get it fixed.  Mine was blue for about a year before they finally fixed it. Calling didn’t help, they promised to escalate the issue but nothing changed.  Once they correct your loyalty status you’ll be able to get your internet discount up front like you should. 

What is the email address for the medallion support department?

Thank you.

32 minutes ago, akeasley said:

Do you need to buy for the whole cruise or can you purchase for just a day or two?

You can buy individual days, but I have been waiting (and hoping) someone on a ship will ask the Internet Cafe person what the new price is for a single day.

Has anyone out there asked how much a single day internet is now?  It used to be $20, but I expect it has gone up.

• Like 1