Dear Carnival

Megan_Strick

5 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

There will sometimes be a station where you can molest a whole tray of bacon, but it is also often the leftovers that have already been picked through time and again by cruisers.

I haven't seen "self-serve" bacon in many cruises.  They usually put the tray towards the back (second row of food) so you can't reach it, with the serving utensil towards the workers- not the passengers.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hillbillycruisers said:

My complaint isn't that it's too crisp...and it isn't that it's too limp...but that every other day, it simply ISN'T period. Our last two cruises...on the Vista and the Dream...the Lido buffet only served bacon every other day...and you couldn't get your own...they had a ' Bacon Sheriff ' doling it out. 

On my last cruise on sunshine, on the days that bacon was on vacation the warden was still on duty doling out those disgusting half moons of ham.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hillbillycruisers said:

My complaint isn't that it's too crisp...and it isn't that it's too limp...but that every other day, it simply ISN'T period. Our last two cruises...on the Vista and the Dream...the Lido buffet only served bacon every other day...and you couldn't get your own...they had a ' Bacon Sheriff ' doling it out. 

As noted they've done this for years, but they don't do it to prevent people from taking too much (as witnessed by the fact that they will give you all that you want), they do it to keep passengers from holding up the line while they look for that "perfect" piece of bacon (something else alluded to in another response). I've only witnessed the bacon police on duty during the busy times of the morning buffet. Once things slow down they move on, which also supports the reason they are there to begin with. ETA after reading the responses- it also depends on where the bacon pan is located, if it is in the back then a crew member needs to serve it since the passenger can't reach it, which is true of any food that is in the back.

Edited by sparks1093

8 hours ago, icft said:

I have noticed that also. Carnival, due to the volume they are cooking, don't fry bacon, they broil it.

Now broiling can produce nice bacon but Carnival does not appear to even try to do it right. Rather than laying it out, broiling, then turning it over and finishing the broil, they apparently just grab handfuls and throw them on a sheet and broil till done. Some individual slices come out but stuck together slices, balls of slices and all kinds of entangled slices are quite common. 

It is a true waste as those balls of bacon hold pools of fat and are not fit for consumption.

That is why one of my favorite parts of a cruise is stopping at Waffle House on the way home to have my first real breakfast in a week. It feels so good after a week without breakfast.

Many restaurants broil the bacon, it's a more efficient way of cooking it. As you point out there is a right way and a wrong way to do it, though. I have had many breakfasts onboard- a made to order omelet, home fries, corned beef hash and fresh fruit come immediately to mind.

21 hours ago, jennas_mum said:

I have to disagree with you! The crispier the better:) I don't like to have to chew my bacon. 

Oooooooooooh !! I admire and love watching those types who DON'T chaw stuff, like bacon, an just SLURP it down and swallow it WHOLE !! 🙂 

Mac

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, pe4all said:

I haven't seen "self-serve" bacon in many cruises.  They usually put the tray towards the back (second row of food) so you can't reach it, with the serving utensil towards the workers- not the passengers.   

I don't look these days, but on the ships with multiple bacon stations, especially for the late risers, there used to be at least one small station where they would bring the corpses of pre-molested leftover bacon.

Now that I think about it, this was probably pre-Blue Iguana days, so it has been a while.

One of many things I will forget to look for on the next cruise.

• Haha 1