Solarium adults only... Not so much. 😐

want2seaitall

3 hours ago, the_dylaness said:

I travel on Celebrity with and without my school-aged kids. 

They KNOW they are not allowed to go to the Solarium. We often go there if they are in the kids club or since we sometimes travel with another family member or nanny, with them.  I also like having a place i can go for an hour or two for some peace and quiet and I certainly don't want to have to deal with anyone else's little darlings in the Solarium.

If there are family hours then so be it; those are the rules the cruise line has set. I've not had that happen on any of our X cruises but all the ones with kids were warm weather cruises.

We are amongst the group who do sometimes take our kids out of school for cruises. I had no idea this was so irksome to some of the posters here.  The reason for this is that both my husband and I are usually unable to take time off during the times the kids are out of school, so if we want to enjoy a family vacation, most of the time it has to happen during the low demand times.  We are both in healthcare and so to ensure people have access to care during all times of the year, not just when kids are in school, only a handful of people at both of our jobs can be out at any given time; coordinating that across both of our employers for us to both be out at a high demand time is almost impossible.  Of the six holidays my employer recognizes, I've been assigned four of them for 2023. It's part of the job.

So, maybe some of the delinquent parents so carelessly taking their children out of school and showing no respect for the value of education are actually the same people who are keeping essential healthcare services open 24/7, and taking the kids out of school enables them to still enjoy a family vacation.

We'll continue to follow the rules with respect to the Solarium and hope that others do the same.  We have not had this problem on any of our X cruises, thank goodness.

I read two things on your post and I’m trying to fit them together.

You want some quiet time away from everyone’s children.  But you don’t understand why other people don’t want kids on board?  I think one leads into the other.  I choose not to live in child free neighborhoods because I don’t have a problem with *well behaved* children.  But I don’t want diapers in the hot tub.  I think we can agree on that.

• Like 2

I'm sorry that this happened to you and let's face it, conflict like that right then and there with the Dad feels horrible. When we were on the Apex last year there was a family that brought their maybe 4-5 year old to the hot tub every day outside of posted family hours. Someone said something to them while they were in the hot tub and they just blew it off. I felt like the biggest grump because this little boy liked to splash and wanted to talk to all of us while we were trying to have adult conversations. I felt so old, crabby and annoyed!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I read two things on your post and I’m trying to fit them together.

You want some quiet time away from everyone’s children.  But you don’t understand why other people don’t want kids on board?  I think one leads into the other.  I choose not to live in child free neighborhoods because I don’t have a problem with *well behaved* children.  But I don’t want diapers in the hot tub.  I think we can agree on that.

Diapers on babies, Depends on Seniors.   Everyone pee's in the hot tub/pool...Everyone.

• Like 1

IMO, what is wrong with following the rules ???   as a parent, it was a teachable moment to say we have to follow the rules.   Not a blatant, just rules mean nothing

There are some parents that pay or arrange babysitting for their  children so they can have a break and recharge.      Why should they be endure the inconsideration of those that chose not to obey rules?    

Rules  Not meant to be ignored nor disrespected

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

Hmm, I didn’t read anything in their post that gave me that impression.

It’s as plain as the nose on your face?  She makes it clear she doesn’t want ANY kids in the solarium.  Read her post again.  She clearly asks why people are bothered about having kids on board.

Her partial quote:

travel on Celebrity with and without my school-aged kids. 

They KNOW they are not allowed to go to the Solarium. We often go there if they are in the kids club or since we sometimes travel with another family member or nanny, with them.  I also like having a place i can go for an hour or two for some peace and quiet and I certainly don't want to have to deal with anyone else's little darlings in the Solarium.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 3boyz2keep said:

I'm sorry that this happened to you and let's face it, conflict like that right then and there with the Dad feels horrible. When we were on the Apex last year there was a family that brought their maybe 4-5 year old to the hot tub every day outside of posted family hours. Someone said something to them while they were in the hot tub and they just blew it off. I felt like the biggest grump because this little boy liked to splash and wanted to talk to all of us while we were trying to have adult conversations. I felt so old, crabby and annoyed!

Were they wearing a diaper?

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Read her post again.  She clearly asks why people are bothered about having kids on board.

I did, multiple times to be sure. I think she clearly asks why people are bothered about  pulling kids out of school for family vacations. An entirely different and more nuanced subject to which there can be no universally right answer. It’s a parental decision. 

I don’t even think that “kids on board” has come up in this thread. Kids in hot tubs and kids in the Solarium yes, but kids on board?  I haven’t noticed it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RichYak said:

I did, multiple times to be sure. I think she clearly asks why people are bothered about  pulling kids out of school for family vacations. An entirely different and more nuanced subject to which there can be no universally right answer. It’s a parental decision. 

I don’t even think that “kids on board” has come up in this thread. Kids in hot tubs and kids in the Solarium yes, but kids on board?  I haven’t noticed it. 

Thank you, you've correctly interpreted my post.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, the_dylaness said:

We are amongst the group who do sometimes take our kids out of school for cruises. I had no idea this was so irksome to some of the posters here.  The reason for this is that both my husband and I are usually unable to take time off during the times the kids are out of school, so if we want to enjoy a family vacation, most of the time it has to happen during the low demand times.  We are both in healthcare and so to ensure people have access to care during all times of the year, not just when kids are in school, only a handful of people at both of our jobs can be out at any given time; coordinating that across both of our employers for us to both be out at a high demand time is almost impossible.  Of the six holidays my employer recognizes, I've been assigned four of them for 2023. It's part of the job.

So, maybe some of the delinquent parents so carelessly taking their children out of school and showing no respect for the value of education are actually the same people who are keeping essential healthcare services open 24/7, and taking the kids out of school enables them to still enjoy a family vacation.

We'll continue to follow the rules with respect to the Solarium and hope that others do the same.  We have not had this problem on any of our X cruises, thank goodness.

I guess its always school holidays somewhere in the world, plus with home schooling anything goes. 

When my kids were in school we were allowed to take them out up to 10 days a year.  Now in the UK it's forbidden unless there's a very good reason such as visiting family due serious illness. It has to be signed off by the Head and unauthorised absence leads to a fine. 

I also was limited to taking holidays during school holidays as I worked in the Travel Business and it was our busy time. 

Now I'm retired I always take cruises outside our school holidays as its usually cheaper. 

On 3/11/2023 at 1:18 PM, want2seaitall said:

First Celebrity cruise...leaving out of San Juan on the Millennium today. Do they allow kids 4-7 everyday? Kind of defeats the purpose of an adult only area. They have an ENTIRE main pool area to use! And of course people bend the rules. Already had a dad place a tot in the hot tub at 2 pm to splash around with my husband and I. And before people come in and defend this... Listen if folks want an area on the ship to relax kids free, it's not too much to ask! 

PXL_20230311_190645651~2.jpg

PXL_20230311_190620364~2.jpg

Just curious how the last few days have gone in the Solarium? 

15 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

IMO, what is wrong with following the rules ???   as a parent, it was a teachable moment to say we have to follow the rules.   Not a blatant, just rules mean nothing

There are some parents that pay or arrange babysitting for their  children so they can have a break and recharge.      Why should they be endure the inconsideration of those that chose not to obey rules?    

Rules  Not meant to be ignored nor disrespected

Having sailed Disney a lot, we saw a lot of parents with the I paid $$$$ for this cruise, I can do what I want and the rules don't apply. Really no different than the chair hog or shorts to supper mindset.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Having sailed Disney a lot, we saw a lot of parents with the I paid $$$$ for this cruise, I can do what I want and the rules don't apply. Really no different than the chair hog or shorts to supper mindset.

Is it too late to cancel my Celebrity cruises and sail with Disney instead?  I love children.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Is it too late to cancel my Celebrity cruises and sail with Disney instead?  I love children.

If you don't like Celebrity prices, don't look at Disney, they are really high right now and have been since we quit sailing with them.

In our school district,  if you take your child out for a non doctor approved/excused reason for more than 4.5 days in a row, they have to repeat the grade. This was made clear to all parents from day one. This was the policy when our kids were in school a few years back. Not sure it is still in effect, but it should be. 

• Like 4