What Kind of Evening Entertainment Would You Like To See on Seabourn Ships?

SLSD

12 hours ago, texanaust said:

I think I mentioned this previously, but Handre said SB was getting a full-time DJ to replace the trio on all the ships.  It is supposed to be implemented this summer but with the new CEO who knows.  The impression I got was that the genre of music was to be modernized skewing more towards the 80s,90s,00s.  

As for Belinda King, I think we are stuck with her for a while.

Hope this isn't true.  My wife and I really love listening and dancing to live music such as Seabourn and Regent have in there clubs before and after having dinner.  The last time we were on a cruise where they had a DJ all he did was play the tunes he liked and the fact that no one was on the dance floor at all and were asking for songs they had heard of before meant nothing to him.  Obviously this is a cost cutting move. Judging from the amount of people on the dance floor on our last cruise I don't think it will be a popular move. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, doowopbob said:

Hope this isn't true.  My wife and I really love listening and dancing to live music such as Seabourn and Regent have in there clubs before and after having dinner.  The last time we were on a cruise where they had a DJ all he did was play the tunes he liked and the fact that no one was on the dance floor at all and were asking for songs they had heard of before meant nothing to him.  Obviously this is a cost cutting move. Judging from the amount of people on the dance floor on our last cruise I don't think it will be a popular move. 

Seabourn are trying to encourage new guests to sail with them.

The trouble is the old ones die and need to be replaced.😁

• Like 1

This thread illustrates the problem: people have different likes and dislikes when it comes to entertainment. We do find the "Broadway" type shows repetitive and usually now skip them.

The best entertainment I've seen has been from guest entertainers who come on board for a night or two, maybe give two performances, then rotate out. Doesn't matter if it is standup, magic, jazz, classical, even opera crossover. If they find a musician skilled in more than one genre, that's the best of all.(I realize they are likely budget busters, but the question was asked.)

I haven't found SB's lounge performers, like the OBS, very good lately. I just don't know the answer to this one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, doowopbob said:

...The last time we were on a cruise where they had a DJ all he did was play the tunes he liked and the fact that no one was on the dance floor at all and were asking for songs they had heard of before meant nothing to him...

So sad when a DJ plays his/her favorites and is clueless. That type of DJ wannabe does so much harm to the image of talented, professional DJs out there. The DJ should ALWAYS read the room and play the appropriate music, at the correct volume, expertly mixed. Unfortunately, what cruiselines usually do is just pick someone from the activities staff to DJ - usually with terrible results. From what I read on at least some of the comments so far, it sounds like the DJ hired by Seabourn has the talent and knowledge to make the Seabourn experience a success. Speaking from 20 years experience as a very successful full-time husband/wife DJ duo from Southern California.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, twodjs said:

So sad when a DJ plays his/her favorites and is clueless. That type of DJ wannabe does so much harm to the image of talented, professional DJs out there. The DJ should ALWAYS read the room and play the appropriate music, at the correct volume, expertly mixed. Unfortunately, what cruiselines usually do is just pick someone from the activities staff to DJ - usually with terrible results. From what I read on at least some of the comments so far, it sounds like the DJ hired by Seabourn has the talent and knowledge to make the Seabourn experience a success. Speaking from 20 years experience as a very successful full-time husband/wife DJ duo from Southern California.

I agree with what you say about successful DJs.  At the same time, we would much prefer live music.  Perhaps DJs could augment the music at other times.  I am not in any way trying lessen the value of what DJs provide.  But, just as a "luxury" wedding would have live music, so should a "luxury" cruise line.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, twochromic said:

This thread illustrates the problem: people have different likes and dislikes when it comes to entertainment. We do find the "Broadway" type shows repetitive and usually now skip them.

There is NO doubt that SB passengers do not all have the same likes and dislikes when it comes to entertainment.  There are guests who prefer to spend their evenings socializing with other passengers and require only soft background music.  There are others who enjoy spending one hour watching a show in the Grand Salon.  This doesn't mean that they don't enjoy spending time socializing as well--just that they also enjoy a bit of planned entertainment. 

I think, at least for us, the main issue on SB when it comes to entertainment is repetition and the fact that some of the shows seem hopelessly old fashioned for those of us who grew up in the 1960s and 1970s.  At least for us, show tunes don't transfer all that well when out of the theater.  

Not everyone even cares about the entertainment--I get that.  However, if SB is going to go to the trouble (and expense) to provide it, I think they need to be mindful that a lot of what they have been providing is passe.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

There is NO doubt that SB passengers do not all have the same likes and dislikes when it comes to entertainment.  There are guests who prefer to spend their evenings socializing with other passengers and require only soft background music.  There are others who enjoy spending one hour watching a show in the Grand Salon.  This doesn't mean that they don't enjoy spending time socializing as well--just that they also enjoy a bit of planned entertainment. 

I think, at least for us, the main issue on SB when it comes to entertainment is repetition and the fact that some of the shows seem hopelessly old fashioned for those of us who grew up in the 1960s and 1970s.  At least for us, show tunes don't transfer all that well when out of the theater.  

Not everyone even cares about the entertainment--I get that.  However, if SB is going to go to the trouble (and expense) to provide it, I think they need to be mindful that a lot of what they have been providing is passe.  

I have been doing extensive research looking at Explora Journeys.

They really have got some great ideas nit just with entertainment but dining venues and suite design.

No ten o'clock big Broadway show that we have all seen.

They sail soon so we will get feedback before long.

Worth a look I think

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I agree with what you say about successful DJs.  At the same time, we would much prefer live music.  Perhaps DJs could augment the music at other times.  I am not in any way trying lessen the value of what DJs provide.  But, just as a "luxury" wedding would have live music, so should a "luxury" cruise line.  

Sure, DJs can augment the music, but the advantage DJs have is that they have an almost infinite library from which to choose. A live band, no matter their level of talent, is restricted to the instrumentation and their arrangements in a limited music library. Our many "luxury" weddings at the Ritz Carlton and other high-end venues in Orange County confirmed our ability to combine superior musical variety, with a "luxury" guest experience. As a drummer since I was 8 years old, I also appreciate the energy a live performance can bring to a venue. Let's see what Seabourn can pull out of their hat. 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twodjs said:

Sure, DJs can augment the music, but the advantage DJs have is that they have an almost infinite library from which to choose. A live band, no matter their level of talent, is restricted to the instrumentation and their arrangements in a limited music library. Our many "luxury" weddings at the Ritz Carlton and other high-end venues in Orange County confirmed our ability to combine superior musical variety, with a "luxury" guest experience. As a drummer since I was 8 years old, I also appreciate the energy a live performance can bring to a venue. Let's see what Seabourn can pull out of their hat. 🙂

I understand that DJs can provide an almost limitless playlist--still not the same as live music.  I've been to wedding with live bands and those with very good DJs--there is a difference.  I do respect the work that you do--I just don't think many will be happy with doing away with live bands on SB.  

1 hour ago, Mr Luxury said:

They really have got some great ideas nit just with entertainment but dining venues and suite design.

Worth a look I think

I've been looking at the Explora website.  It is well done.  From what I can tell there would be at least 900 passengers--actuallyn a few more than that.  

• Like 1

I'll have six weeks duty on Explora before the first week of January ends.  

Oh, and Handre would be rid of the jukebox if he had it his way.   That is the one form of entertainment I look forward to on SB.   Lunch in the deserted club.

6 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Worth a look I think

we too and have booked a trip, despite not liking the ship size, on Explora. Agree dining venues are very interesting.  And interesting non-repeating itinerary.  Also have several more Scenic cruises booked, which will have many great ex-Seabourn crew on.  Eclipse 1 design has flaws hoping 2 is better.  Food service on our Eclipse cruise was what we had on the little sisters but more options for dining 6 choices.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

So is it DJ's from now on or still a dance band on board?

On Quest at the moment and we have two bands that take it in turn to perform on Club Deck 5 apart from a long break from about 7-9pm for dinner. They also have short breaks ~10minutes which is actually good as it gives a chance passengers to chat without background music. There is a jukebox available for use in those breaks.

In the Obs Bar there is a piano player Filippe who is also a very good singer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would say we are the average demographic for SB and taking our first SB in a few weeks on Ovation.

We were sorely disappointed in the quality of live music on our Regent cruise earlier this month.  We love live music and dancing and did not feel motivated to even listen to the band after two tries.   We had much better entertainment on our two river cruises last year and danced the night away most nights until well past midnight.

We do not want to sit and watch a show.  Live music before dinner (jazz works for us!) and dance music after dinner are our preference.

Regent offered a ventriloquist (the CD) and the shows that simply had no appeal.  They felt dated and boring by description.   I cannot speak to the quality as the description was not interesting enough to have us attend.

I am hoping that the Ovation next month offers better options - and quality - for live music and dancing that is not limited to Sinatra type music.  While I love Sinatra and enjoy his music interspersed with a more contemporary playlist, we would love to dance the night away. 

A good DJ would be preferable to what we had for a week on Regent.

Edited by caviargal

There are approx 400  to 500 passengers on a Seabourn ship   with perhaps 25 to 50 pc interested in night time shows . What are the chances of pleasing the 100 - 200 passengers who might want to go every night. not very high i would have thought. 

We’ve been on the Quest’s Grand Voyage for 70+ days at this point (one week left), and have been enjoying the variety of entertainment. We usually go to the evening Grand Salon shows, both guest entertainers and the team onboard. The cast on this voyage are exceptional, and I love watching them even when it’s a production I’ve seen before. Amazing talent!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, caviargal said:

Regent offered a ventriloquist (the CD) and the shows that simply had no appeal.  They felt dated and boring by description.   I cannot speak to the quality as the description was not interesting enough to have us 

Oooh you're not talking about Ray there are you? The Regent/Navigator aficionados will be chasing you round the deck as if you hadn't left a tip in a New York restaurant 😜😜😂

With regards to a DJ (and possibly only the UK contingent will get this ) but if they start playing the Birdie Song, I'm getting my coat.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

Oooh you're not talking about Ray there are you? The Regent/Navigator aficionados will be chasing you round the deck as if you hadn't left a tip in a New York restaurant 😜😜😂

Yes, they have been.  To each their own, I say.  Hard pass for us.

• Haha 1

We were pleasantly surprised by the quality and quantity of live music on our first Seabourn cruise last summer, especially considering the size of the ship (Odyssey).  I could see the Tim Rice show getting pretty old by the third repetition, though.  The guest musicians were quite good.  I'd hate to see them messing around too much with this.  A DJ would have me heading to the exit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sunshineocean13 said:

We’ve been on the Quest’s Grand Voyage for 70+ days at this point (one week left), and have been enjoying the variety of entertainment. We usually go to the evening Grand Salon shows, both guest entertainers and the team onboard. The cast on this voyage are exceptional, and I love watching them even when it’s a production I’ve seen before. Amazing talent!

Totally agree with your assessment of the cast on the Quest--they are amazing.  We were on the Quest for 4 weeks in November/December with the same group but now that we are back on the Quest, we love to see the shows again since they are even better (if that's possible) now.

Edited by mcmarya

• 2 weeks later...