Finding Ducks

20 hours ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

People buy plastic ducks and hide them on the ship for others to find and either keep or re-hide.  Most of the time there’s a tag with a note about where the duck started and a FB page or something etc.  Somw people like the idea and others hate it and throw them in the garbage immediately.

Found one placed on one of the paintings/murals adorning the Anthem staircase.  Picked it up and saved it for my young granddaughter as she would get a kick out of it.

• Like 1

On one of our cruises we had a pretty active FB page that people posted to daily, even during the cruise.

A parent of a special needs six year old posted that her son had looked for several days but hadn’t found one and was so sad.  A lady on our board who was hiding ducks asked for their cabin number and went immediately and “hid” a few right outside their cabin door.  The mother posted a picture of her son finding them and the joy on his face would bring tears to your eyes.

So those of you who like to trash them……please just leave them for someone else to find.  You could be destroying someone else’s joy.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

5 hours ago, crazyank said:

for sure

Yes, you've posted in many threads how much of a curmudgeon you are. And how you actually exert effort to specifically spoil other people's harmless fun. If you don't want to play, ignore it. You've stated that you've seen crew members with bags of ducks that they are going to dispose of. So what? If Royal Caribbean wanted it to stop, they'd start saying something. It's not your job to police for ducks.

You sound like the kind of person that if they were walking in a park, and a group of kids were playing ball and it rolled anywhere near you, you'd run over and grab the ball and throw it away, popping it if it was inflatable.

Seriously. It's not bothering you. If you don't want to play along, ignore them. Why would you go out of your way to spoil other people's fun?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, princessD said:

I’m sure this has been asked before, but didn’t scroll through the other page’s.

Can someone tell me how this works? Sounds like fun.

Thanks

You don't have to bring your OWN ducks to participate... keep or hide/you decide. If you wanted to buy some, there are a pleathora on Amazon and etsy as well as cards to fill out. Just note the size, some are too small for young kids (swallowing size). 

5 hours ago, Candleonwater said:

Would it be wrong for me to take all the ducks I've collected - can't tell you the number of times I've been ducked as a Jeep Wrangler driver - and use them to hide on the ship?

I don't get the scrooges who throw the ducks out. They are cute little surprises. 

My Jeep has been ducked several times. I didn't know it was a thing until after I had it for a few months. I think it's fun, always makes my day. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

If I find one, I take it on my next cruise and leave it on a different ship or on one of the islands. There will be a pink duck from the Regal Princess on Freedom of the Seas sometime between March 27 and 31.   

Only one, though. After the first one, I leave them in place for someone else to find. 

Edited by ZoeyVictoria
  • Like 2

On 3/13/2023 at 8:51 AM, Candleonwater said:

Would it be wrong for me to take all the ducks I've collected - can't tell you the number of times I've been ducked as a Jeep Wrangler driver - and use them to hide on the ship?

I don't get the scrooges who throw the ducks out. They are cute little surprises. 

Bucky is a proud owner of a 2004 Wrangler soft top in vintage shape.  Other "Jeepers" love to leave ducks on his hood.  😉  That was the first I had heard of the duck travels, long before they started hiding them on cruise ships.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

I don't actively look for ducks!  However, if I see one, I'll pick it up and see where the people who left it are from, then I put it back.  That's my only interest.  

We enjoy hiding them in a new place.  If someone finds one...young or "young at heart" and it gives them a smile....that is joy that is free.  Spread the joy!  🥰

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, island lady said:

We enjoy hiding them in a new place.  If someone finds one...young or "young at heart" and it gives them a smile....that is joy that is free.  Spread the joy!  🥰

I totally agree!  I love happy kids, especially my own grandkids. 

This was my way of getting to, "I don't give a............."  Duck.   

LOL, yes it was a lead-up to me getting to that.  I did not stay at Holiday Inn last night, nor did I play a comedian on TV.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/12/2023 at 3:16 PM, yogimax said:

Too bad you have never seen the joy on the face of a 5 year old who has just found a duck in Central Park.

What's the problem with bringing a little bit of happiness to a kid?

They probably had a sad childhood. Must never have had an Easter egg hunt either.

On 3/12/2023 at 3:31 PM, jean87510 said:

I think they are cute.  For kids.  The adults....Well that's a little different.  I equate it to adults who wear Mouse Ears at Disneyland.

What about adults that wear mouse ears elsewhere and not just Disneyland? What's up with that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I buy a pack of 25 ducks to hide per cruise. 

I LOVE finding them as well.  Normally I don't re-hide but save as my spoils of the game.

I also wear Mickey Ears.  

It saddens me that someone would actively hunt ducks just to throw away.  That's pretty mean-spirited.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think they are cute.  For kids.  The adults....Well that's a little different.  I equate it to adults who wear Mouse Ears at Disneyland.

You mean people who wear mouse ears OUTSIDE of Disney parks 🙂

• Thanks 1

Hey, I resemble that remark.  🤨

It’s actually a given there, tshirts, pins & often pricey Dooney & Burke or coach mini back packs/crossbody bags to the left & right.  

In my mind, it equates to those whom wear player jerseys to sporting events…yeah, I wear them too as that sort of garb is both event appropriate and fun

Never heard of this practice on RCCL. Time to order some ducks. GD will

have a ball hiding some on our summer cruise as they have a tricked out jeep and she always shares when they are gifted with one

Edited by keishashadow
  • Like 1