*NEW?* All Guarantee Cabins Non-Refundable?

startedwithamouse

Not sure if this has been asked.   If you already have a guarantee booked prior to to the non refundable change does your booking now become non refundable.   When did this change occur?    Any specific date?

Thanks

• Like 1

So, the FCDs had actually expired?

If so, I think Princess could actually have a leg to stand on with that one.

Anyhow, I am still hoping to find out how to see the different cabins and fares available.

I have tried a couple of big agencies, but did not have any luck.

Any information would be appreciated!

My current booking is with a big Vacations travel agency.

Edited by Wishing on a star

Note to self: save the FCD Confirmation screen in case i cancel a booking. Says something like this: 

Screenshot_20230318-140551_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8146b0e2b4baf34987943818d214b310.jpg

I never hold them very long so that shouldn't be an issue

OTOH I wonder if they are getting FCC & FCD confused agsin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, PurpleTraveller said:

I completely agree with you. When I was about to cancel the cruise my planner spoke with his supervisor who told him that nothing could be done to stop me losing my money if I went ahead and cancelled the cruise even though I was rebooking the same cruise. I have spoken to three other customer service representatives who also spoke to their supervisors who came back with refusals to refund my money. As far as Princess is concerned the FCD's became non refundable as soon as I cancelled my cruise because they had expired prior to the cancellation and they could not be refunded because I had used them. I have also sent two emails and have not had any response. The annoying thing is that if I had been told of this possibility when I was initially booking the cruise I would have used other FCD's that I had that expire after the cruise and let the two FCD's that had earlier expiry dates expire and then got a refund. As far as I am concerned the FCD's were my money that I gave to Princess in good faith. To say that I am annoyed and unimpressed would be an understatement. 

Just now, DeeTO said:
20 hours ago, PurpleTraveller said:

I completely agree with you. When I was about to cancel the cruise my planner spoke with his supervisor who told him that nothing could be done to stop me losing my money if I went ahead and cancelled the cruise even though I was rebooking the same cruise. I have spoken to three other customer service representatives who also spoke to their supervisors who came back with refusals to refund my money. As far as Princess is concerned the FCD's became non refundable as soon as I cancelled my cruise because they had expired prior to the cancellation and they could not be refunded because I had used them. I have also sent two emails and have not had any response. The annoying thing is that if I had been told of this possibility when I was initially booking the cruise I would have used other FCD's that I had that expire after the cruise and let the two FCD's that had earlier expiry dates expire and then got a refund. As far as I am concerned the FCD's were my money that I gave to Princess in good faith. To say that I am annoyed and unimpressed would be an understatement. 

Purple Traveller, I had the same experience. Cancelled a cruise in February where I had used $200 ref. FCD and never received money back as was also told the FCD had been used and expired. TA was told this too. Did receive other payment as FCC and cash refund. I was also frustrated by this.

So strange .... this must be new. On 3/1/23 CVP rebooked my 6/1/23 Hawaii voyage with 100 FCD on it the day before final payment date. I lost the 200 shore excursion OBC but kept the FCD OBC. And netted $800.84 back to my Visa card. So it's not all voyages

I guess I'm wondering how do we know if it's non-refundable? Will it always say when I put it on hold? Will my CVP be able to always make sure I'm only booking refundable? Will I be able to refare in the future?   (Bookings: 3 past final payment date / 2 have rooms in sold out category [BW center of midship]). Is this just for "guarantee cabins?" things are changing 

Edited by Ombud

With prices that fluctuate, I do not know the answer to the following question:

If picking a cabin can cost more $100 more than a GTY, did Princess raise the price to select a cabin or did they lower the price of a GTY?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ombud said:

So strange .... this must be new. On 3/1/23 CVP rebooked my 6/1/23 Hawaii voyage with 100 FCD on it the day before final payment date. I lost the 200 shore excursion OBC but kept the FCD OBC. And netted $800.84 back to my Visa card. So it's not all voyages

I guess I'm wondering how do we know if it's non-refundable? Will it always say when I put it on hold? yes Will my CVP be able to always make sure I'm only booking refundable? yes Will I be able to refare in the future? yes  (Bookings: 3 past final payment date / 2 have rooms in sold out category [BW center of midship]). Is this just for "guarantee cabins?"  yes things are changing 

Played around with it online & answered my own questions in red. Guarantee discount is only around $100 for solo balcony so backing off thread as it doesn't apply to me

15 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Yes, they would because when a res is cancelled that was booked with FCD deposits, the funds go back as FCD if the FCD is still active or go back to original form of payment if the FCD is expired.  The refund is scheduled for processing that night.  I mention this as I was able once to get that killed and restore the FCD within a short time period same-day the booking was cancelled.  I was doing a cancel/re-book with my TA as a re-fare wasn't possible in the situation for whatever reason.  I forgot about that particular FCD expiry date and didn't mention anything.  Of course, the Princess rep never says a thing and the TA didn't think about it independently, so there I was.  Ooopsie!!  But I managed to get it fixed (it isn't something automatic, so it may not work or be possible all the time - depends who you end up talking to).  So, now I never forget to check the FCD expiry date before doing a cancel/re-book.  If a guest is just cancelling, you are not going to be able to preserve the FCD.  It gets cancelled and refunded.

As I have mentioned before, the guest needs to get Princess rep to extend the FCD Expiry Date (TA can get this request done while doing the cancel/re-book as long as they know the situation).  Then, do the cancellation and the FCD is available again for the new booking.  Guests should be aware of their FCD status which is documented in our Captain's Circle profile.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, waltd said:

Not sure if this has been asked.   If you already have a guarantee booked prior to to the non refundable change does your booking now become non refundable.   When did this change occur?    Any specific date?

Thanks

I seriously doubt a booking made with a refundable deposit can be all of a sudden changed to non-refundable.  Not heard of this before and I really doubt that.  Now, if a guest changed that res with a cancel/re-book, then subject to any new terms.  But a FCD is always refundable.

As for the change, when I dug into new Fare Code for Non-Refundable, it was listed as Dec 14/22 up to the sail date of the particular voyage.  That doesn't mean Princess implemented that Non-Ref Fare Code that long ago. IDK if anyone knows and exact date and it could be they roll this out to various voyages over time.  It is not something that is in place on ALL voyages - I have seen both the new and the old situation when shopping cruises.

16 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Anyhow, I am still hoping to find out how to see the different cabins and fares available.

I have tried a couple of big agencies, but did not have any luck.

Any information would be appreciated!

My current booking is with a big Vacations travel agency.

I just tried by playing around a bit with the website of the agency that has a lot of little boxes and used to have the main summertime sale.  I did find that if selecting the lowest category ("lead-in") - the "F" - that it only allowed a GTY booking. However, I didn't see anywhere where they disclosed a non-refundable deposit, so I am thinking their programming isn't aware or updated.  Also, I can tell they are displaying all available fare codes, but they do not reveal what the actual 3-character fare code is while in the booking process.

They do not ask for your Past Passenger Number (Captain's Circle ID for Princess guests), so that is a dead giveaway that their online booking engine is not going to be finding any other special fare offers that might apply to you.  You would need to be asking one of their agents.

Next, I took a look at the retail big box so many people on here write about.  Ugh - didn't think much of their online booking. Seems very directed and doesn't at all reveal multiple fare types it appears. It also seems they are hiding the non-refundable option.  Also, no reveal of Fare Codes.  I didn't want to spend more time as I am not interested to dig into it.

IDK where else you might have looked, but those two that are often mentioned here are not much use at all.  

I also looked at the website of one of the most popular and referenced independent TA's that many posters on here profess to use.  Again, I saw no mention of the deposit being non-refundable when electing the "F" category.  Also, I was not presented with all Fare Code options - including not seeing Plus and Premier.  So, a fairly basic presentation, much like I saw at the big box store.

I do note that with this new scheme in place, when I select and "E" category in able to select a cabin, I am shown what used to be the "F" cabins as far as I am concerned.

IDK how to tell you where to look for the booking engine I like that has everything without naming a travel agency.  

16 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Mine is a FCC, we had it applied to our recent booking.

I am contacting our agent to make sure everything is still refundable.

FCC's do have expiry dates - or at least can have real expiry dates - and if not used by the expiry date, they are forfeited.  A lot of guests had issues with this during Covid, but Princess did extend dates across the board at times as Covid lingered on.  FCD is a special type of FCC and has been treated differently for certain.

8 hours ago, waltd said:

If a cabin becomes available can I change my Guarantee to an assigned cabin?????? Confusing.

I am thinking not if you have booked the lead-in "F" category on a voyage that has this new scheme.  Those cabins seem to now be designated as "E" cabins, so you won't ever see an available cabin on the deck plan in your booked category.  Only after cabin assignment could you change to something else available.

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I just tried by playing around a bit with the website of the agency that has a lot of little boxes and used to have the main summertime sale.  I did find that if selecting the lowest category ("lead-in") - the "F" - that it only allowed a GTY booking. However, I didn't see anywhere where they disclosed a non-refundable deposit, so I am thinking their programming isn't aware or updated.  Also, I can tell they are displaying all available fare codes, but they do not reveal what the actual 3-character fare code is while in the booking process.

They do not ask for your Past Passenger Number (Captain's Circle ID for Princess guests), so that is a dead giveaway that their online booking engine is not going to be finding any other special fare offers that might apply to you.  You would need to be asking one of their agents.

Next, I took a look at the retail big box so many people on here write about.  Ugh - didn't think much of their online booking. Seems very directed and doesn't at all reveal multiple fare types it appears. It also seems they are hiding the non-refundable option.  Also, no reveal of Fare Codes.  I didn't want to spend more time as I am not interested to dig into it.

IDK where else you might have looked, but those two that are often mentioned here are not much use at all.  

I also looked at the website of one of the most popular and referenced independent TA's that many posters on here profess to use.  Again, I saw no mention of the deposit being non-refundable when electing the "F" category.  Also, I was not presented with all Fare Code options - including not seeing Plus and Premier.  So, a fairly basic presentation, much like I saw at the big box store.

I do note that with this new scheme in place, when I select and "E" category in able to select a cabin, I am shown what used to be the "F" cabins as far as I am concerned.

IDK how to tell you where to look for the booking engine I like that has everything without naming a travel agency.  

I know that I never use my agent's website. I have a phone and email relationship with this agent. Sort of old school but it works, it is personal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

I am thinking not if you have booked the lead-in "F" category on a voyage that has this new scheme.  Those cabins seem to now be designated as "E" cabins, so you won't ever see an available cabin on the deck plan in your booked category.  Only after cabin assignment could you change to something else available.

Just a note that the ME is the lead in category on mini suites - at least on the Grand Class. I haven't looked at newer ships. There were cabins available in ME and they were non-refundable deposits.

• Thanks 1

On 3/17/2023 at 7:35 PM, PurpleTraveller said:

I used two FCD's to book a refundable deposit cruise. When I went to cancel the cruise before final payment to rebook the same cruise to get a lower fare I was told that my FCD's had expired. Before I cancelled the cruise I asked if the expiry date could be extended and Princess refused to extend the expiry date as I had already used them. According to them when I cancelled the cruise I forfeited the FCD's and I lost the $200.00 and will not get a refund. I have spoken to Princess a number of times and they are adamant that I will not be refunded the value of the FCD's. I have also emailed them a number of times but have had no response of any kind.

Circling back, another poster mused whether you actually had FCC's that were used for a deposit and not FCD's.  I am aware you typed FCD, did you really mean the ones that we buy for $100 each on board, or did you have some FCC on account from some past situation like a Covid cancellation?

I do think you are talking about actual FCD's since the amount mentioned is $200 (2 x $100), but it removes any speculation on here if you confirm.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Coral said:

Just a note that the ME is the lead in category on mini suites - at least on the Grand Class. I haven't looked at newer ships. There were cabins available in ME and they were non-refundable deposits.

Right - no "F"'s for the higher category cabins. I was using Insides and Balconies for my examples. Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Coral said:

I know that I never use my agent's website. I have a phone and email relationship with this agent. Sort of old school but it works, it is personal.

That's fine, but I was attempting to use some other booking engines to see how they worked and what they offer and reveal.  IMO, any booking website should at least reveal if a deposit is non-refundable and also display the three basic Princess choices - Std, Plus, Premier.  Anyway, I also realize virtually anyone booking with a TA is going to end up interacting with a human being at some point. It would be necessary in order to find out if any better deal is possible other than what the website indicates.

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

That's fine, but I was attempting to use some other booking engines to see how they worked and what they offer and reveal.  IMO, any booking website should at least reveal if a deposit is non-refundable and also display the three basic Princess choices - Std, Plus, Premier.  Anyway, I also realize virtually anyone booking with a TA is going to end up interacting with a human being at some point. It would be necessary in order to find out if any better deal is possible other than what the website indicates.

I agree. IMO - all agency booking engines and the cruise line itself should provide this info!

This is why those booking on-line, if they don't have this, is at a disadvantage. 

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Circling back, another poster mused whether you actually had FCC's that were used for a deposit and not FCD's.  I am aware you typed FCD, did you really mean the ones that we buy for $100 each on board, or did you have some FCC on account from some past situation like a Covid cancellation?

I do think you are talking about actual FCD's since the amount mentioned is $200 (2 x $100), but it removes any speculation on here if you confirm.

I used two FCD's of $100 each bought on board a cruise. It is those that I am upset about losing as when I made the booking I was told that they were fully refundable up until final payment. No mention was ever made of their expiry date.

I did also have goodwill FCC's that I had added to the booking well after I had made the deposit with the FCD's. I also lost them because they had expired but I can accept those being lost as I did not actually pay for them. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PurpleTraveller said:

I used two FCD's of $100 each bought on board a cruise. It is those that I am upset about losing as when I made the booking I was told that they were fully refundable up until final payment. No mention was ever made of their expiry date.

I did also have goodwill FCC's that I had added to the booking well after I had made the deposit with the FCD's. I also lost them because they had expired but I can accept those being lost as I did not actually pay for them. 

I agree with you and can confirm mine were also 2 $100 FCD bought in 2019 and were never refunded when I cancelled my 2023 cruise (rebooked from planned earlier cruise during Covid) as told the FCD were now past the 2 years from purchase! 

24 minutes ago, DeeTO said:

I agree with you and can confirm mine were also 2 $100 FCD bought in 2019 and were never refunded when I cancelled my 2023 cruise (rebooked from planned earlier cruise during Covid) as told the FCD were now past the 2 years from purchase! 

I'm sort of glad that I'm not the only one this has happened to but I'm really sorry this has happened to you. I'm probably more annoyed that I had other FCD's that had longer expiry dates I could have used to make the deposit and let these ones expire and get a refund, if only I had been told that they would be forfeited if the cruise was cancelled after the FCD's expiry date and not told that they were fully refundable up until final payment. I don't think it is a big ask for the Princess Service Representatives or Planners to give the correct information at the time of booking.

8 minutes ago, PurpleTraveller said:

I'm sort of glad that I'm not the only one this has happened to but I'm really sorry this has happened to you. I'm probably more annoyed that I had other FCD's that had longer expiry dates I could have used to make the deposit and let these ones expire and get a refund, if only I had been told that they would be forfeited if the cruise was cancelled after the FCD's expiry date and not told that they were fully refundable up until final payment. I don't think it is a big ask for the Princess Service Representatives or Planners to give the correct information at the time of booking.

Totally agree with you. So much easier to make right decisions if given correct information. 

• Like 1