En Route with Hank in Japan and the Westerdam

Hlitner

On 3/28/2023 at 11:37 AM, alc13 said:

On 3/31/2023 at 7:26 PM, Hlitner said:

I

21 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Give me a couple of days to find out and I will message the person that put it all together.

Hank

Thanks I would also like the info. I am going to Taipei for 8 days before my QE cruise circumventing Japan later this month and would like contact info to see standard tours in Taipei. 

Hello Hank,

Thank you SO much for all the time you spend helping us experience Japan along with you! Your blogs are amazing! This may be a big ask but I am a celiac and I have had a great experience on a month long trip on  the NA Fall 2021. However this past Fall 2022 not such a great food experience on the Rotterdam with my Celiac issue and I am not speaking of flavor, etc, just the access to GF food that is safe. We are planning on your same trip next year for 6 weeks on board the Westerdam and I am extremely concerned about the availability of gluten free foods and snacks etc because I know they source food from where they are sailing. Would it be too much trouble for you to ask a maitre d in the lido what the availability is like and is there a tiny GF section. We have had this trip planned since we got off the Rotterdam and I am getting nervous enough to back out. ANY help you can send me would be heaven sent!   

Kim from OH

Thanks you for posting all of this.

We were on the Westerdam from Feb 2 - March 13 out of Singapore to Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, Taiwan and Japan.  It was an experience with how all of those countries have dealt with new immigration protocols.  It sure made our problems last summer and ArriveCan seem trivial.

Japan was the most bureaucratic and time consuming including having to fill out their App with little notice and instruction while we were onboard.  We were told before boarding that it wouldn't be necessary.  There were long lines at guest services with those who needed assistance.

I totally agree with you about the lack of entertainment.  We were in our cabin most nights by 930 pm.  I found the sound in the Rolling Stone Lounge too hard on my head.  The ceiling is low and the music bounces around. 

For over twenty years we have always enjoyed a cocktail in the Ocean Bar before dinner while listening to the band or piano.  It's criminal that there is no music there at all.  When I asked the entertainment director why I was told that because these are a series of BTBs there was no need.  Doesn't make any sense to me. 

The Lincoln Centre group is very good but the venue is tiny.  We found you had to get there at least twenty minutes early to get a seat. 

Because of the BTBs the entertainment was repetitive.  We saw the same Cantare and World Step Dance shows three times each.  The set lists for Billboard were the same too.  With that number of songs they could have been mixed up more.   I won't even go into the repetitive trivia questions.  I gave up on that a few cruises ago.

I won't give up on HAL....we cruise more for the itinerary than the onboard amenities but there is a huge difference from what we used to have.

• Like 3

Mr. Hank and I have had our differences in the past, but I am enjoying his extensive reporting from Westerdam and his evolving voyage through the Orient and onward to AK. I hope that you and your DW continue to enjoy your time on this particular cruise! Have fun!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Regarding the tour company in Hualien, it was Island Life Taiwan.  Our fantastic guide’s English name is Iris, but since she is also a school teacher her availability is usually limited to weekends and holidays.

As to the Gluten Free issue, I just took a

look at the GF breakfast station and was

surprised that it is at the same station where they make crepes and waffles.  They also have small signs to contact management about any dietary needs.  I know our Celiac friend would be very concerned about cross contamination at that crepe/waffle/gf station.  I did ask a supervisor about GF and got the usual response to contact a supervisor when you are aboard.  

Today is a sea day and the Mariners

Lunch.  We are invited to the 11am lunch and will not be bothered to get dressed and go at that early time (there is another luncheon at 1).  We have Comfy seats near the pool and think Dive In or the Lido will be in our immediate future.

Last evening the main entertainment was Step One and we thought the dancers were very talented.  

Hank

• Like 7

Afternoon mates (it is Tuesday PM here in Kagoshima, Japan).  Yesterday was a pleasant sea day when we got some needed time to rest, enjoy some adult beverages, and socialize.  All was good until we started to the Main Theater for the 9:30pm show (shows are at 7:30 and 9:30) to enjoy the Guest Violinist...or so we thought.  As we neared the theater some others told us the 9:30 show was cancelled (speculation was that the Guest Entertainer became seasick).  I believe they put on some movie (we did not stick around to fihe nd out).  We headed to the Rolling Stone Lounge (still called the BB King Room on the ship's accounting system) where the reliable (and decent) band was performing their normal 3 sets.  More to come on the entertainment.

This morning, we arrived back in Japan (Kagoshima) where we had to go through the laborious Japanese clearance procedure.  It ONLY took about 4 hours to get all the passengers through the required face to face interviews (done in the cruise terminal).  Those who wanted to go into town could only do so by using HAL's provided shuttle service ($25 per person).  We did not see any taxis at the terminal and Uber got us "no cars available."  Not sure Shimizu is worthy of $50 per couple (shuttle service) but we did go into town, walk around the cultural area, and head back to the ship for a late lunch.

Before we left the ship we decided to have our first breakfast in the MDR where we did our usual "sharing" and met two couples (from England and Tasmania).  The English couple (regular HAL and Seabourn cruisers) quickly told us all how they felt about the cruise "we will never, ever, cruise on HAL again!"  Why?  Primarily the abysmal entertainment (their words).

So, let's get to my pet peeve which is the entertainment or lack thereof.  In our first week our main shows consisted of 1 BBC Documentary (this should be kept to cabin television), 2 performances of Contare (4 male singers..the format of which has been a HAL staple for about 10 years), 2 Step One Shows (one of which was cancelled resulting in a dark night), 2 shows by an Australian comedian (quite a few walked out of the first show and the 2nd show (9:30 was near empty), and the Guest Entertainer violinist (who cancelled the 9:30 show).  There is the usual music walk stuff (Rolling Stone Lounge group (very good) , duel piano players (not very good with a dwindling audience), and an excellent group in the Lincoln Center Stage (finished very early in the evening.  There is no music during the day, no music during cocktail hours, no music (ever) in what is left of the Crows Nest, etc.  We would agree with the English couples assessment that the entertainment offerings are abysmal!  

And I am going to add a personal rant triggered by DW's comment.  "There are no friendly bars on this ship!"  Bars on cruise ships are traditionally decent gathering places for folks who want to socialize and meet new friends.  Go on Princess and you have several such venues (none with a view), on Seabourn you have the Observation Bar, on Celebrity you have several wonderful bars (including the very popular Martini Bar), etc.  On HAL you have zippo!  The Ocean Bar has about 8 seats,,,all in a row making conversation difficult.  The Pinnacle Bar has 6 seats with the two in the center designed for either very little people or those in wheelchairs making conversation difficult.  The Crows Nest Bar is now very sad (it might have 2 or 3 seats) and should be called the non-bar.  This could be easily fixed by HAL for very little money!  For a week, at our shared tables, we have heard nothing but complaints about the lack of entertainment.  For those who do not play trivia the cruise staff is non-existent.  The ship's officers seem to be completely absent from the ship (or hiding in the crew areas).  The days when HAL Officers used to socialize with passengers seem to be gone!

On the plus side, we have heard nobody complaining about the food (except for the extra charges in the PG).  We have heard more than a few comments about overcharges (we have posted about our own issues) for drinks, laundry, and the PG.  In fairness to the onboard Guest Relations staff, they do get things fixed (once a person complains). 

Shuttles in ports can become expensive.  Today was $25 per person, tomorrow it is $20 per person, and in a few days at another port it is again $25 per person.

Much has been said (on these boards) about the Japanese "procedures" which we have found a little annoying but not nearly as bad as expected.  Consider that although it took about 4 hours to get everyone cleared this morning, the reality is that most folks went off at or before their assigned times, were cleared in about 10-15 min, and could be on their way (only if on a tour or the paid shuttle).  But make no mistake, when you are cruising in Japan there will be procedures every time your ship is departing from the country and whenever they return from any foreign port (i.e. Taiwan or Korea).  

I will also, again, praise the crew!  As far as we are concerned they are living up to the standards most of us expect from HAL!  The cabin stewards are certainly overworked, but our own stewards are fantastic and always friendly.  All of our waiters (we dine in open sitting) have been professional and have given us some good advice (about to order and what to avoid).  

One negative are in the booze department.  After cruising for about 2 years (post COVID shutdown) we are tired of hearing the usual refrain (a "container missed the ship")  My friendly banter with a favorite bar tender went like this:  (Me) "what single malt scotches do you have that are covered by the drink package"  (Bartender) "We have 3 Glenlivet, Glenmorangie, and another),  But we do not have any of them aboard!"    or in the MDR where they have a very limited list of wines by the glass, "We would like two glasses of the Malbec to which the reponse is, "we have no malbec aboard."  (not entirely true since they do have it in the PG).  And finally, when I asked for Cognac, the only offering covered by the package is Couvoisier VSOP!  But we are told there has not been a bottle onboard for months.  But, of course, one can always find more expensive offerings (for which you must pay the differerece on the $11 limit +18%).

Now fans, you might say "why don't you just upgrade your packages to the Elite package (which would cost us $10 a day or $420 for our voyage) which gets you a $15 limit.  We considered doing this until we saw there are hardly any wines (offered by the glass) for the higher price!  All this is a minor annoyance but it almost seems like a conpiracy to get those with the HIA package to pay for more expensive drinks.  My goodness, even a simple Cosmopolitan (a very popular cocktail) is priced at $12 ($1 over the the Signature Beverage limit).  And we still have the fiasco about signing for beverages.  Sometimes you must sign, other times you get nothing to sign, and this policy seems to change by the minute!  Perhaps the Hotel Manager needs to deal with this issue?  Speaking of her, we have only spotted her once in 8 days.  On most of our cruises the Hotel Managers are often around the passengers but on this ship she is another of the senior staff that have seemed to disappear into some dark hole.

Hank

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

One other issue for those interesting in ship issues.  Yesterday, the Captain made an announcement that we had an issue with our propulsion system (I did not hear the details of his announcement), Initially, this significantly slowed down our cruising speed.  A few hours later the Captain said they had managed to get an engine back online which meant that one of our azipods was operating at about 50% of capacity.  Apparently, this is going to be the situation for some time (whether it is weeks, months or years we do not know).  Just now the captain announced we will continue to cruise with the degradation, but it should not impact our port times.  I believe our speed is now limited to around 18 knots.  By the way, from the ship does look very good with its newly repainted hull!

Hank

• Like 4

In honor of Hank’s DIY policy, my own day in Kagoshima was easy and inexpensive (other than the $25 shuttle annoyance). I paid about $2 each way to take the 15 minute ferry ride to the small island in the bay where the majestic Sakuriyama volcano sits. It is very active, having erupted just last February! Another $6 got me a shuttle round the main points on the island including an observation center.

79556C25-0B7A-4AD1-A983-B1C850CFE011.thumb.jpeg.98a8c4d908ff1ac9f2cc1222613998d2.jpeg7A3F3A0E-C71B-44B6-8370-9EFD53A7EA6A.thumb.jpeg.e354b957df94756e59acafaab00b70df.jpeg

Before returning to the mainland I indulged in a large bowl of ramen and had to also try the specialty of the island, an ice cream dusted with ash from the volcano.

7DC9AF47-C6C7-4363-A365-7BBAB0F48BBA.thumb.jpeg.e04a480a0500ff72613a8fdd1082240b.jpeg

This made for a low key and low cost day with great views from the ferry of the volcano and the bay. I can see why we were told the city is referred to as the Naples of the East. 

Right next to the ferry terminal ( close to the shuttle drop off) is what looked like a lovely aquarium as well. I think I heard someone say it was free but I didn’t go in.

The entire day was about $50. Well worth it!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, oakridger said:

So @cruisemom42, how was that ash ice cream?  😲    I wonder who thought that one up!!

~Nancy

The taste was very faint — more of a slightly smoked vanilla taste. It was pleasant actually.

Of course this isn’t my first rodeo with volcano ash ice cream. I tried one in Sicily last October made with ash from Mt Etna. It’s a specialty of a pilgrimage church in Tindari where they have a black Madonna. The ice cream (in honor of the Madonna) is called “Nigra sum” (in Latin, “I am black”, which is inscribed on the statue). That one had more ash but also was gelato, so I think overall I preferred it.

I wonder how many ash ice creams it takes to make me an authority? 😝 I sense a new potential career…..

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

LOL, Bravo to Cruisemom for going over to the island.  After walking a couple of miles through the town, we were "bushed" and decided to skip the island ferry in favor of a few hours relaxing on the pool deck.  Quickly dozed-off after a Dive-In burger :).  Just returned from the Rolling Stone Lounge where we were among the 30 (or so) awake passengers for the last set of the "group."  The lead guitar (Stevie Jay) continues to amaze me with his talent (the rest of the group are also very good).  On long cruises we always try to find some kind of onboard music that makes us happy, and the Rolling Stone Lounge folks can be quite special when they have their moments.  Sadly, with nearly 2000 passengers, it is all too HAL typical to see 30 or so souls awake for the last set (at 10:30).  For folks who might be night owls. tonight, the last live entertainment on the ship ended at 11:15.  

The main show tonight was a Chinese magician who was really full of energy and quite good.  

Tonight, we had dinner in Canaletto, which was serving a Tamarind menu (they are doing this every other week on these Asian cruises.  The food was quite good, and we were delighted to see the Taramind concept brought to the "Westy."  Spoke to the manager and immediately booked another "Taramind" dinner on the next voyage.  Before dinner, we had cocktails next to a delightful German couple where we chatted about cruising and travel.  They both ordered "double" glasses of wine at the bar to take into the MDR.  Their reasoning was that it has taken them up to a half hour to get wine in the MDR (there are no wine stewards) and they complained about being overcharged for wine in the MDR (this has ONLY happened to us once).  DW and I are now thinking we should consider following this practice of taking one's own wine into the MDR.   We used to do this in Celebrity (where the wine bar had a much better wine menu than the MDR) but have never followed the practice on HAL since the bars and MDR serve the same wines.

Speaking of dinner and the evening, last night was our 2nd "dressy night."  The old Formal nights have really disappeared from HAL.  What they now call "dressy" would have been "smart casual" only a few short years ago.  Just wearing my basic blue blazer makes me feel like I am overdressed!  Times have truly changed on HAL.  One passenger remarked that they could not see the point to getting all dressed up for a relatively normal dinner and no special after dinner activities.  At the formal dinner they did have an OK tenderloin or lamb chops (3).  Lobster is only to be found by paying an extra surcharge.

Hank

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

..............  On HAL you have zippo!  The Ocean Bar has about 8 seats,,,all in a row making conversation difficult.  The Pinnacle Bar has 6 seats with the two in the center designed for either very little people or those in wheelchairs making conversation difficult.  The Crows Nest Bar is now very sad (it might have 2 or 3 seats) and should be called the non-bar.  This could be easily fixed by HAL for very little money!  ....................................

Hank, how 'bout the Gallery Bar/ Been in there so far?

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

The taste was very faint — more of a slightly smoked vanilla taste. It was pleasant actually.

Of course this isn’t my first rodeo with volcano ash ice cream. I tried one in Sicily last October made with ash from Mt Etna. It’s a specialty of a pilgrimage church in Tindari where they have a black Madonna. The ice cream (in honor of the Madonna) is called “Nigra sum” (in Latin, “I am black”, which is inscribed on the statue). That one had more ash but also was gelato, so I think overall I preferred it.

I wonder how many ash ice creams it takes to make me an authority? 😝 I sense a new potential career…..

I understand ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

But I have trouble understanding ashes to ice cream. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We did not see any taxis at the terminal and Uber got us "no cars available." 

I was going to tell you about Grab, which we used a lot in 2019, but it I see now it is available only in SE Asia (company based in Singapore).

You might want to investigate an app called JapanTaxi. As of April 1 it has been absorbed into an app called Go, available in the Google Play store. Based on my quick reading, it seems set up more for reserving a ride in advance, but maybe it would useful.

9 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Question please; is there a DJ playing music in the Rolling Stone Lounge after the band is done with their last set in there?

No.  When the band is finished the room goes dark and the bar closes.  Not sure we even have anyone in staff that would know to be a DJ.

• Thanks 1

I’ve continued to enjoy the Lincoln Center group but Hank is right that live music is missing outside of the set performances in Music Walk.

For those concerned about classical music onboard, I did hear the guitarist in the group performing in The Rolling Stones room announce offhandedly last night that when the LCS group departs on April 10, they’ll be replaced by some kind of jazz group. 

Stay tuned….

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Hlitner said:

One negative are in the booze department.  After cruising for about 2 years (post COVID shutdown) we are tired of hearing the usual refrain (a "container missed the ship")  My friendly banter with a favorite bar tender went like this:  (Me) "what single malt scotches do you have that are covered by the drink package"  (Bartender) "We have 3 Glenlivet, Glenmorangie, and another),  But we do not have any of them aboard!"    or in the MDR where they have a very limited list of wines by the glass, "We would like two glasses of the Malbec to which the reponse is, "we have no malbec aboard."  (not entirely true since they do have it in the PG).  And finally, when I asked for Cognac, the only offering covered by the package is Couvoisier VSOP!  But we are told there has not been a bottle onboard for months.  But, of course, one can always find more expensive offerings (for which you must pay the differerece on the $11 limit +18%).

Interesting experiences.  I wonder if the HIA is contributing to some of these booze experiences.  HIA is a discounted pre-paid amenity bundle.  Although HAL would love for us to believe otherwise, there is nothing "free" with HIA.  Every amenity has been paid for.  Every HIA dinner paid.  Every HIA drink paid.  Every HIA excursion paid.  Like every other pre-paid amenity, if you don't use it, then you lose it.  And it does seem like HAL is making it a little difficult for you to use these amenities.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

Interesting experiences.  I wonder if the HIA is contributing to some of these booze experiences.  HIA is a discounted pre-paid amenity bundle.  Although HAL would love for us to believe otherwise, there is nothing "free" with HIA.  Every amenity has been paid for.  Every HIA dinner paid.  Every HIA drink paid.  Every HIA excursion paid.  Like every other pre-paid amenity, if you don't use it, then you lose it.  And it does seem like HAL is making it a little difficult for you to use these amenities.  

Keep in mind that HAL only charges the difference between the $11 drink package limit and the cost.  So, if I get a $15 drink, I am charged $4.72.  A bigger problem with the Japan cruises is that many of the better excursions do sell out far in advance.  Folks with HIA can have difficulty using their excursion credit on tours they would prefer.  And when a booked tour is canceled they are stuck with the unused credit and must scramble to find something else that is not sold out.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Keep in mind that HAL only charges the difference between the $11 drink package limit and the cost.  So, if I get a $15 drink, I am charged $4.72.  A bigger problem with the Japan cruises is that many of the better excursions do sell out far in advance.  Folks with HIA can have difficulty using their excursion credit on tours they would prefer.  And when a booked tour is canceled they are stuck with the unused credit and must scramble to find something else that is not sold out.

Yes, but you still pay $15 for the drink as you pre-paid the $11 when you purchased HIA.  Is the goal to get you to buy a $11 drink or a $15 drink?  Seems to me that they want to you buy the $15 drink.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

It’s not just Japan cruises.  I booked a cruise later than I normally do because other choices I’d picked out with other lines didn’t pan out.  I did take the hia but finding excursions between mobility issues and late booking was a challenge.

17 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Afternoon mates (it is Tuesday PM here in Kagoshima, Japan).  Yesterday was a pleasant sea day when we got some needed time to rest, enjoy some adult beverages, and socialize.  All was good until we started to the Main Theater for the 9:30pm show (shows are at 7:30 and 9:30) to enjoy the Guest Violinist...or so we thought.  As we neared the theater some others told us the 9:30 show was cancelled (speculation was that the Guest Entertainer became seasick).  I believe they put on some movie (we did not stick around to fihe nd out).  We headed to the Rolling Stone Lounge (still called the BB King Room on the ship's accounting system) where the reliable (and decent) band was performing their normal 3 sets.  More to come on the entertainment.

This morning, we arrived back in Japan (Kagoshima) where we had to go through the laborious Japanese clearance procedure.  It ONLY took about 4 hours to get all the passengers through the required face to face interviews (done in the cruise terminal).  Those who wanted to go into town could only do so by using HAL's provided shuttle service ($25 per person).  We did not see any taxis at the terminal and Uber got us "no cars available."  Not sure Shimizu is worthy of $50 per couple (shuttle service) but we did go into town, walk around the cultural area, and head back to the ship for a late lunch.

Before we left the ship we decided to have our first breakfast in the MDR where we did our usual "sharing" and met two couples (from England and Tasmania).  The English couple (regular HAL and Seabourn cruisers) quickly told us all how they felt about the cruise "we will never, ever, cruise on HAL again!"  Why?  Primarily the abysmal entertainment (their words).

So, let's get to my pet peeve which is the entertainment or lack thereof.  In our first week our main shows consisted of 1 BBC Documentary (this should be kept to cabin television), 2 performances of Contare (4 male singers..the format of which has been a HAL staple for about 10 years), 2 Step One Shows (one of which was cancelled resulting in a dark night), 2 shows by an Australian comedian (quite a few walked out of the first show and the 2nd show (9:30 was near empty), and the Guest Entertainer violinist (who cancelled the 9:30 show).  There is the usual music walk stuff (Rolling Stone Lounge group (very good) , duel piano players (not very good with a dwindling audience), and an excellent group in the Lincoln Center Stage (finished very early in the evening.  There is no music during the day, no music during cocktail hours, no music (ever) in what is left of the Crows Nest, etc.  We would agree with the English couples assessment that the entertainment offerings are abysmal!  

And I am going to add a personal rant triggered by DW's comment.  "There are no friendly bars on this ship!"  Bars on cruise ships are traditionally decent gathering places for folks who want to socialize and meet new friends.  Go on Princess and you have several such venues (none with a view), on Seabourn you have the Observation Bar, on Celebrity you have several wonderful bars (including the very popular Martini Bar), etc.  On HAL you have zippo!  The Ocean Bar has about 8 seats,,,all in a row making conversation difficult.  The Pinnacle Bar has 6 seats with the two in the center designed for either very little people or those in wheelchairs making conversation difficult.  The Crows Nest Bar is now very sad (it might have 2 or 3 seats) and should be called the non-bar.  This could be easily fixed by HAL for very little money!  For a week, at our shared tables, we have heard nothing but complaints about the lack of entertainment.  For those who do not play trivia the cruise staff is non-existent.  The ship's officers seem to be completely absent from the ship (or hiding in the crew areas).  The days when HAL Officers used to socialize with passengers seem to be gone!

On the plus side, we have heard nobody complaining about the food (except for the extra charges in the PG).  We have heard more than a few comments about overcharges (we have posted about our own issues) for drinks, laundry, and the PG.  In fairness to the onboard Guest Relations staff, they do get things fixed (once a person complains). 

Shuttles in ports can become expensive.  Today was $25 per person, tomorrow it is $20 per person, and in a few days at another port it is again $25 per person.

Much has been said (on these boards) about the Japanese "procedures" which we have found a little annoying but not nearly as bad as expected.  Consider that although it took about 4 hours to get everyone cleared this morning, the reality is that most folks went off at or before their assigned times, were cleared in about 10-15 min, and could be on their way (only if on a tour or the paid shuttle).  But make no mistake, when you are cruising in Japan there will be procedures every time your ship is departing from the country and whenever they return from any foreign port (i.e. Taiwan or Korea).  

I will also, again, praise the crew!  As far as we are concerned they are living up to the standards most of us expect from HAL!  The cabin stewards are certainly overworked, but our own stewards are fantastic and always friendly.  All of our waiters (we dine in open sitting) have been professional and have given us some good advice (about to order and what to avoid).  

Now fans, you might say "why don't you just upgrade your packages to the Elite package (which would cost us $10 a day or $420 for our voyage) which gets you a $15 limit.  We considered doing this until we saw there are hardly any wines (offered by the glass) for the higher price!  All this is a minor annoyance but it almost seems like a conpiracy to get those with the HIA package to pay for more expensive drinks.  My goodness, even a simple Cosmopolitan (a very popular cocktail) is priced at $12 ($1 over the the Signature Beverage limit).  And we still have the fiasco about signing for beverages.  Sometimes you must sign, other times you get nothing to sign, and this policy seems to change by the minute!  Perhaps the Hotel Manager needs to deal with this issue?  Speaking of her, we have only spotted her once in 8 days.  On most of our cruises the Hotel Managers are often around the passengers but on this ship she is another of the senior staff that have seemed to disappear into some dark hole.

Hank

Geez Hank I would of thought you were along with us on our 35 night S. Pacific cruise last month. Same complaints and yes a snail mail was sent to corporate HAL upon our return. Gonna redo the Voyage of the Vikings that we do with you 2 and Larry and Cheryl a handful of years ago. Not expecting much change but we will enjoy what we can and continue to note the things that just makes us shake our heads. 😉 Enjoyed reading all of your observations and recommendations. 👏